1195 users online (201 members and 994 guests)  

Websleuths News

AZ - Apache Junction, HispFem UP6349, 16-18, in desert near Hwy 60, Aug'92

Case from 1992, with recently added recon at link below:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6349

NW corner of Idaho & Baseline Rds
    Address 2 South of US 60
    City Apache Junction
    State Arizona
    Zip code 85119
    County Pinal
    Circumstances of death
    Decomposed body found in desert near hwy US 60
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 12-17-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Demographics
    Estimated age Adult - Pre 20
    Minimum age 16 years
    Maximum age 18 years
    Race Other
    Ethnicity Hispanic/Latino
    Sex Female
    Weight (pounds) , Cannot Estimate
    Height (inches) 61, Estimated

all parts recovered.
    not recognizable-mummified.
    Probable year of death 1992 to 1992
    Estimated postmortem interval Weeks

Hair color Brown
    Head hair Head hair recovered from the scalp is microscopically similar to head hairs from known Admixed AmerIndians (for example, SW Hispanics).
    Body hair N/A
    Facial hair N/A
    Left eye color Unknown or Missing
    Right eye color Unknown or Missing
    Eye description N/A

Clothing on body 1. One pair of blue denim cut-off short pants. The pants are in place with the waist buttoned and zipper buttoned. The pant cuff margins are irregular and frayed with folding. Multiple horizontal slit-like openings are over the anterior right front pant leg. In the left front pants pocket is a corroded quarter, a penny, and a yellow metal token. On one side of the token is "Valid for one student fare" and on the opposite side is "Phoenix Transit System" with a central large "P". The short pants are Levi brand. No size can be determined. Within the right front pants pocket is a round piece of paper the size of a penny with green ink on each side depicting a figure of Abraham Lincoln on one side and the Lincoln Memorial on the other, just like that of a penny. 2. One pair of light-colored underpants, which are "Adonna" by JCPenney, size 5. The underpants are inside-out and in place. 3. One light-colored pullover short-sleeved T-shirt. A soccer multicolored design is on the shirt, as are the words "Team Gear". This shirt is Team Gear brand size large. 4. One white bra, which is fashioned in the usual fashion over the back. The bra is light-colored and padded. No size or manufacturer is identifiable. 5. Within the end of the ponytail is a light-colored elastic hairband.

Jewelry Over the left ring finger is a yellow metal ring with a nugget design.

Bump.

What about Lillian Irene Estrada? She's a runaway from California. I think that the age progressed version of her at 53 kind of looks like the reconstruction of this Jane Doe. http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/882dfca.html

Two thoughts:
    The "round piece of paper" with green printing sounds like the paper cut-outs we use to teach "money math" to our special ed students at my high school. (These are generally students in our sped program who have intellectual disabilities, and usually math skills at about K-2nd grade level). I'm wondering if this might have been a student in the Phoenix school district (bus token), possibly in a special ed program. (Alternately, she could have been assigned as an assistant in a class where they worked with those, either a sped class, or an elementary classroom)

Also, this child's family may have been illegal, and hence, too afraid to report her missing. If there are siblings still looking for her, perhaps they think a report was filed, but it wasn't. Advertising this case now might generate clues from former peers who are now 40+. Also important to reach out now to former staff and parents from that time as they are, sadly, beginning to pass on.
    A run-away may leave on purpose, but that doesn't mean that they are able to get back home.... Never stop searching.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieOakley View Post
    Two thoughts:
    The "round piece of paper" with green printing sounds like the paper cut-outs we use to teach "money math" to our special ed students at my high school. (These are generally students in our sped program who have intellectual disabilities, and usually math skills at about K-2nd grade level). I'm wondering if this might have been a student in the Phoenix school district (bus token), possibly in a special ed program. (Alternately, she could have been assigned as an assistant in a class where they worked with those, either a sped class, or an elementary classroom)
    Great observations.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieOakley View Post
    Also, this child's family may have been illegal, and hence, too afraid to report her missing.
    A definite possiiblity. At the same time, if the coloration and facial features in the sketches are accurate, she looks to have more Spanish back ground than indigenous. The Mexicans who have these features tend to be wealthy or at least middle class. As a result, they are noticably less likely to illegally immigrate. Of course, exceptions do exist.

Meanwhile, there is a population of hispanics who have lived in in the southwest and Colorado for centuries. This population is of Spanish descent. Though the report states that her hair had characteristics of mixed Amerindian back ground, the physical features, the clothing and the "nugget style" ring dont really seem "Mexican" to me. Rather, the totality seems more native southwest hispanic.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 07-11-2016 at 02:34 PM.

(O/T, Adrienne Salinas was also found in Apache Junction.)
    Northern Colorado Shootings / Incidents Lists & Time Table / Detailed Spreadsheet by Forager:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ew?pli=1#gid=0

Northern Colorado Shootings Case Map:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...o.kzPJOvnNDQio

NoCo / Thread 1 / Possible Serial Shooter has Colorado Drivers on Edge / WHO KILLED JACOBY AND CONNOLE?

Saturday will be 24 years since this young woman was found. I would love to see this be the year we identify her. NAMUS states that fingerprints, dental AND DNA are all available- this is amazing. How often do we have UID's with all 3?
    That said, I kind of doubt that her fingerprints will be helpful- maybe, I just feel it's unlikely.

Some more thoughts- in the late 80's/ early 90's it was kind of the style to wear our T-shirts big. Even though she had on a size large T, with the panties being size 5, I would guess she was a small-ish to average weight. If they are estimating her height at 5'1", I'm going to throw out a weight guess between 100-115 lbs. I know they can't determine a size on the pants and bra, but it's too bad they don't give a measurement of the waist/hips and band size of the garments. I don't know that this info would help us identify her, but a better description might jog the memory of someone who knew her...
    A run-away may leave on purpose, but that doesn't mean that they are able to get back home.... Never stop searching.

It looks like the front facing pic is broken in Fin's post, so here it is again

If she's Native American (like the head hair section says), I know that there's ways to contact a lot of tribes -- they're doing it right now for the Allenstown Jane Does (the Bear Brook Four). Perhaps we should look into it for her?
    Attached Images Attached Images