Identified! AZ - Apache Junction, HispFem UP6349, 16-18, desert near Hwy60, Phnx Trnsit Sys token, ring, Aug'92 - Melody Harrison

Demographics
Estimated age Adult - Pre 20
Minimum age 16 years
Maximum age 18 years
Race Other
Ethnicity Hispanic/Latino
Sex Female
Weight (pounds) , Cannot Estimate
Height (inches) 61, Estimated

all parts recovered.
not recognizable-mummified.
Probable year of death 1992 to 1992
Estimated postmortem interval Weeks

Hair color Brown
Head hair Head hair recovered from the scalp is microscopically similar to head hairs from known Admixed AmerIndians (for example, SW Hispanics).
Body hair N/A
Facial hair N/A
Left eye color Unknown or Missing
Right eye color Unknown or Missing
Eye description N/A

Clothing on body 1. One pair of blue denim cut-off short pants. The pants are in place with the waist buttoned and zipper buttoned. The pant cuff margins are irregular and frayed with folding. Multiple horizontal slit-like openings are over the anterior right front pant leg. In the left front pants pocket is a corroded quarter, a penny, and a yellow metal token. On one side of the token is "Valid for one student fare" and on the opposite side is "Phoenix Transit System" with a central large "P". The short pants are Levi brand. No size can be determined. Within the right front pants pocket is a round piece of paper the size of a penny with green ink on each side depicting a figure of Abraham Lincoln on one side and the Lincoln Memorial on the other, just like that of a penny. 2. One pair of light-colored underpants, which are "Adonna" by JCPenney, size 5. The underpants are inside-out and in place. 3. One light-colored pullover short-sleeved T-shirt. A soccer multicolored design is on the shirt, as are the words "Team Gear". This shirt is Team Gear brand size large. 4. One white bra, which is fashioned in the usual fashion over the back. The bra is light-colored and padded. No size or manufacturer is identifiable. 5. Within the end of the ponytail is a light-colored elastic hairband.

Jewelry Over the left ring finger is a yellow metal ring with a nugget design.

Two thoughts:
The "round piece of paper" with green printing sounds like the paper cut-outs we use to teach "money math" to our special ed students at my high school. (These are generally students in our sped program who have intellectual disabilities, and usually math skills at about K-2nd grade level). I'm wondering if this might have been a student in the Phoenix school district (bus token), possibly in a special ed program. (Alternately, she could have been assigned as an assistant in a class where they worked with those, either a sped class, or an elementary classroom)

Also, this child's family may have been illegal, and hence, too afraid to report her missing. If there are siblings still looking for her, perhaps they think a report was filed, but it wasn't. Advertising this case now might generate clues from former peers who are now 40+. Also important to reach out now to former staff and parents from that time as they are, sadly, beginning to pass on.

Two thoughts:
The "round piece of paper" with green printing sounds like the paper cut-outs we use to teach "money math" to our special ed students at my high school. (These are generally students in our sped program who have intellectual disabilities, and usually math skills at about K-2nd grade level). I'm wondering if this might have been a student in the Phoenix school district (bus token), possibly in a special ed program. (Alternately, she could have been assigned as an assistant in a class where they worked with those, either a sped class, or an elementary classroom)

Great observations.
Also, this child's family may have been illegal, and hence, too afraid to report her missing.

A definite possiiblity. At the same time, if the coloration and facial features in the sketches are accurate, she looks to have more Spanish back ground than indigenous. The Mexicans who have these features tend to be wealthy or at least middle class. As a result, they are noticably less likely to illegally immigrate. Of course, exceptions do exist.

Meanwhile, there is a population of hispanics who have lived in in the southwest and Colorado for centuries. This population is of Spanish descent. Though the report states that her hair had characteristics of mixed Amerindian back ground, the physical features, the clothing and the "nugget style" ring dont really seem "Mexican" to me. Rather, the totality seems more native southwest hispanic.

(O/T, Adrienne Salinas was also found in Apache Junction.)

Saturday will be 24 years since this young woman was found. I would love to see this be the year we identify her. NAMUS states that fingerprints, dental AND DNA are all available- this is amazing. How often do we have UID's with all 3?
That said, I kind of doubt that her fingerprints will be helpful- maybe, I just feel it's unlikely.

Some more thoughts- in the late 80's/ early 90's it was kind of the style to wear our T-shirts big. Even though she had on a size large T, with the panties being size 5, I would guess she was a small-ish to average weight. If they are estimating her height at 5'1", I'm going to throw out a weight guess between 100-115 lbs. I know they can't determine a size on the pants and bra, but it's too bad they don't give a measurement of the waist/hips and band size of the garments. I don't know that this info would help us identify her, but a better description might jog the memory of someone who knew her...

It looks like the front facing pic is broken in Fin's post, so here it is again

attachment.php

If she's Native American (like the head hair section says), I know that there's ways to contact a lot of tribes -- they're doing it right now for the Allenstown Jane Does (the Bear Brook Four). Perhaps we should look into it for her?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    13.9 KB · Views: 52
A special post from DNA Doe Project's Facebook page:

"Hi Five to Officer Stephanie Bourgeois of the Apache Junction Police Department who is one of 16 finalists for a private grant* of $5k to help fund DNA Doe Project cases. You guys may know Stephanie as the officer who is working with her agency to get Apache Junction Jane Doe into our DNA Doe Project. The grant will be awarded based on votes from the public. Anyone can vote once a day until July 27. So please go to

Why We Serve 2018 | Aftermath Services

and VOTE. A vote for Stephanie is a vote for the DNA Doe Project!

*Our support of Officer Bourgeois for this award does not imply endorsement of Aftermath, its products, or its services.*"

You have to scroll all the way to the bottom to 'submit.' And remember you can 'vote' every day until the 27th, I personally have bookmarked the page so I remember!

Posting again to let everyone know that they are trying to get Apache Junction Jane into DNA Doe Project.

They are also trying to raise money on DDP's behalf through a grant.

Hi Five to Officer Stephanie Bourgeois of the Apache Junction Police Department who is one of 16 finalists for a private grant* of $5k to help fund DNA Doe Project cases. You guys may know Stephanie as the officer who is working with her agency to get Apache Junction Jane Doe into our DNA Doe Project. The grant will be awarded based on votes from the public. Anyone can vote once a day until July 27.

DNA Doe Project Here is a FB link for more info.

Youtube Video created for the fundraising.

ETA: Ack! This is the second time I've done this to you today! Always one step ahead of me!

Posting again to let everyone know that they are trying to get Apache Junction Jane into DNA Doe Project.

ETA: Ack! This is the second time I've done this to you today! Always one step ahead of me!

Lol your post is better than mine though! Thank you for posting the video :)

a28969df_awesome.gif
Thank You you Rats going to Vote!

Advanced DNA technology could reveal who is "Apache Junction Jane Doe"

In August 1992, a teenaged girl was found dead in Apache Junction, and it was a cold case that has puzzled police for well over two decades. Now, however, police have a powerful new tool at their disposal, as advanced DNA technology may help identify the so-called "Apache Junction Jane Doe".

The girl was somewhere around 16 years old, and police believe she had been dead for five to 10 weeks when she was found on State Trust land near Idaho and Baseline Roads. She was wearing denim cut-offs and a short sleeved t-shirt with a soccer theme when she was found.

"There was no identification on her when she was found. Just a couple articles in her clothing, a bus token, a ring, things of that nature. No identification at all," said Larry Kincaid with Apache Junction Police Department Cold Case Investigation.

Advanced DNA technology could reveal who is "Apache Junction Jane Doe"

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni