Richard Engel (NBCNews) is Missing in Syria, Dec. 2012

i.b.nora

I am polka dot
Reaction score
Richard Engel is Missing in Syria; NBC News Enforces News Blackout

"NBC News chief foreign correspondent Richard Engel has gone missing in Syria, according to Turkish news reports. The reports also say that Aziz Akyavaş, a Turkish journalist working with Engel, is unaccounted for. NBC News has been successfully keeping Engel's status subject to a news blackout—one to which Gawker agreed until now—for at least the past 24 hours."

"Turkish newspaper Hurriyet is reporting that Engel and Akyavaş were last known to be in Syria and haven't been in contact with NBC News since Thursday morning. The news has been reported widely in the Turkish press over the past 24 hours, including by Turkish news channel NTV, which presents itself as an international partner of MSNBC. It's also been widely distributed on Twitter."

More...

Award-winning NBC News foreign correspondent Richard Engel missing in Syria since last Thursday
MailOnline
By DAVID MCCORMACK
PUBLISHED: 13:22 EST, 17 December 2012 | UPDATED: 16:17 EST, 17 December 2012

"NBC News chief foreign correspondent Richard Engel, one of the most prominent and accomplished international correspondents in the world, is reportedly missing in Syria.
Turkish newspaper Hurriyet reports that Engel, together with Turkish journalist Aziz Akyavaş, were last known to be in Syria and haven't been in contact with NBC News since Thursday morning.
While the Turkish media have been circulating the report for several days, American outlets had been operating under a news blackout requested by NBC until today."

+

"Engel was honored in 2009 with the George Foster Peabody Award, an Edward R. Murrow Award and the Society of Professional Journalism Award for ‘Tip of the Spear,’ a series of reports from Afghanistan that focused attention on the hardships and dangers faced by American soldiers.'

Engel also received the 2008 Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Award and the Medill Medal for Courage in Journalism, the first ever given to a broadcast journalist, for his report ‘War Zone Diary.’

The one-hour documentary, compiled from Engel's personal video journal, gave a rare and intimate account of the everyday realties of covering the war in Iraq. In 2006, Engel received the Edward R. Murrow Award for his report ‘Baghdad E.R.,’ the first ever to win in the category ‘Feature – Hard News.’

Engel has lived in the Middle East since graduating from Stanford University in 1996 with a B.A. in international relations. He speaks and reads fluent Arabic, which he learned while living in Cairo.

Engel has also traveled extensively in the Middle East and can comfortably transition between several Arabic dialects spoken across the Arab world. He is also fluent in Italian and Spanish.

Much more...

Since the news blackout in the U.S. has been lifted re Engel gone missing, I’m hoping this is a sign to suggest that he will be found soon.

Here is what I think is the most recent report from Richard, it aired December 12, 2012 on Brian Williams NBC Nightly News:

Destruction and resistance: Window into war-torn Aleppo
NBC News producer Ghazi Balkiz is traveling in northern Syria with NBC News Chief Foreign Correspondent Richard Engel. He took these photographs in Aleppo within the past week.

Mostly photos and a must see video news report.

ANY American in Syria right now takes a huge chance of going missing. I wouldn't go to Syria for a million dollars even if I was a news reporter.

Since my post got deleted, I'd like to make my point again. "Journalists" run the risk of this happening when it's a race to be the first talk about the gore and violence. Keep your nose out of where it doesn't belong and you'll be safe

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...bc-news-team-freed-from-captors-in-syria?lite

"By Mike Brunker, NBC News
Updated at 8:15 a.m. ET: NBC News’ Chief Foreign Correspondent Richard Engel and members of his network production team were freed from captors in Syria after a firefight at a checkpoint on Monday, five days after they were taken prisoner, NBC News said early Tuesday.
“After being kidnapped and held for five days inside Syria by an unknown group, NBC News Chief Foreign Correspondent Richard Engel and his production crew members have been freed unharmed. We are pleased to report they are safely out of the country,” the network said in a statement.
“It is good to be here,” Engel said during a live appearance on TODAY from Turkey. “I’m very happy that we’re able to do this live shot this morning.”"

More...

A good article on "the dangerous nature of reporting in war-torn Syria, a country the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) dubbed the deadliest place for journalists this year."

NBC's Richard Engel released in Syria, a journalist danger zone (+video)
The Syrian conflict is making 2012 the deadliest year on record for journalists.

The Christian Science Monitor
By Whitney Eulich, Staff writer / December 18, 2012

Just two snippets of a much longer, very good article:

"But, according to The Wall Street Journal, “the multiplying of militias on both sides of the conflict has quickly and vastly complicated the scenarios for how fighting might end or a political transition may be negotiated, and what may come next after the end of the regime.”

"The civilian militias to come out of this conflict are going to make Hezbollah [in Lebanon] look like a walk in the park," Joseph Holliday, a senior research analyst at the Institute for the Study of War in Washington, told the Journal. Syria is not simply seeing a faceoff between government forces and rebel fighters, but the involvement of Al Qaeda-linked fighters and Iranian militants have also been noted."

"“This feels like the first YouTube war,” BBC Middle East correspondent Paul Wood told CPJ. “There’s a guy with a machine gun and two guys next to him with camera phones.” Mr. Wood added that local journalists are facing multiple risks. “We’ve seen pro-regime journalists targeted by rebels – it is well known. But opposition journalists say the regime is intent on targeting them as journalists.”"

Much more...

Thank God, Richard is safe!

But knowing him, he will be reporting tonight on NBC Nightly News.

So glad to hear the good news that Richard and his colleague are released and are safe!

Here is a good article about all the journalists that are jailed, this year has been a record:

Worldwide tally reaches highest point since CPJ began surveys in 1990. Governments use charges of terrorism, other anti-state offenses to silence critical voices. Turkey is the world’s worst jailer. A CPJ special report:

http://cpj.org/reports/2012/12/imprisoned-journalists-world-record.php

Glad they are safe.

Richard is appearing on The Rachel Maddow Show tonight to talk about his recent experience.

ANY American in Syria right now takes a huge chance of going missing. I wouldn't go to Syria for a million dollars even if I was a news reporter.

About 8 years ago I was looking forward to my year end commission so I could go to Syria. An amazing country with amazing historical sites.

Unfortunately I had an accident that took up my meager vacation cash.

Syria is a treasure. :(

This was Al Qaeda's plan (over turning all of the governments in the middle east).

I just can't with Syria. I've seen some stuff on video in my time and I'm pretty jaded when it comes to beheadings and the like, the stuff that generally comes out of Iraq, Iran, etc., but I have never, EVER, seen such savagery as things that have come out of Syria within the past year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back