IL IL - Kyle Harrell, 27, Bartonville, 2 May 2000

nervous_nellie

Carpe Noctem
Reaction score
Luciano: A mother's search for justice

g12c000000000000000e6a71085b12aaf02e61b5cde864d819a35d2880a.jpg

http://www.pjstar.com/news/x459328908/Luciano-A-mothers-search-for-justice?zc_p=2

PEORIA —
Fueled by unyielding fury and misplaced guilt, Eula Harrell keeps pushing for justice for her slain son.

More than a dozen years have passed since Kyle Harrell - a former U.S. Marine, a workaday businessman, husband to his high school sweetheart and father to a 2-year-old girl - was fatally felled by a sawed-off shotgun on a dirt road outside Bartonville.

Police long have targeted two suspects in what is believed to be a scheme to eliminate the 27-year-old Bayview Gardens man.

Recently, accompanied by county detectives, she made a plea to Jerry Brady, now the state's attorney, to take another look at the case. Brady says he will review the evidence, after police try to collect as much new information as possible.

Investigators are hopeful - through media stories and widespread reward notices - to prompt new witnesses and recollections. Perhaps old tight-lipped loyalties might have faded over the years.

"Maybe someone remembers something, or someone told an ex-wife something," says county Detective Jim Hajnal. "Who knows?"

They're racing against time. Witnesses can forget or die. And Eula Harrell is 73, so each passing day is another lost chance at her seeing justice.

As for the worry about a so-so case ending in acquittal? Eula Harrell says that after so much time, it's worth the risk.

"If we lose, so what?" she says. "Do I go to my grave not knowing?"

Kyle Harrell's family and others have created a $25,000 reward fund in the case. Information should be forwarded to the Peoria County Sheriff's Office at (309)697-7822.

PHIL LUCIANO is a Journal Star columnist. He can be reached at pluciano@pjstar.com, facebook.com/philluciano, 686-3155 or (800) 225- 5757, Ext. 3155. Follow him on Twitter @LucianoPhil.

There is also a $25,000 Reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the murder of Kyle Harrell.

Kyle Harrell was shot and killed the night of May 2, 2000 by Kickapoo Creek near Bartonville, Illinois. His murder remains an unsolved crime.

Please read the rest of this article...there is much more info - so much info that no one can understand why the former Prosecutor Kevin Lyons refused to ever take this case to trial.
http://www.pjstar.com/news/x459328908/Luciano-A-mothers-search-for-justice?zc_p=0

Thanks! I don't remember much of anything about this case and I only live about a mile from Bartonville.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back