KY - Pregnant woman kills attacker trying to steal fetus, 10 Feb 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
This is just breaking in Cincinnati, it first came out like this:

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/02/10/stabbing.html
A pregnant woman is dead after a double stabbing in Ft. Mitchell Thursday morning.

It happened around 11:30 a.m. in an apartment building at 6 Superior Drive.

Police say a fight between two friends led to the stabbing, but no one has been arrested.

Catherine L. Smith, 22, was pronounced dead Thursday afternoon.

The other woman, Sara Brady, was also taken to a hospital where she's being interviewed by police.

Police say Brady was lying along the road suffering from stab wounds when they responded to the scene.

A short time later, police found Smith unresponsive in a basement apartment.

Neighbors told 9News when they saw medical crews, they thought Smith was giving birth.

Police say Brady admitted that she and Smith had been in a fight, which may have led to the stabbing.

tonight it changed to this:

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/4184720/detail.html

Investigators said Katie Smith, who lived in the building, and Sarah Brady were arguing on the first floor when the fight escalated into a fight. They said the women somehow stabbed each other with knives.

Both women were taken to St. Elizabeth South, where Smith died.

Investigators said the double stabbing is a bizarre case. A neighbor said Smith had told her she was pregnant, but officials said Brady is pregnant.

Police are questioning Brady about the incident.

According to tonight's news it may have been an attempt to steal the baby that Brady is pregnant with. Brady is overdue to give birth.

A better update today with more info from the family

Hatton said Brady received a phone call Tuesday afternoon from someone claiming to be named "Sarah Brodie".

Hatton said Katherine Smith -- the woman who was killed Thursday -- made up the "Sarah Brodie" alias and the scheme.

During the alleged phone call, "Brodie" apparently said she was also registered at Babies-R-Us, and she had mistakenly received a package intended for Brady.

"Brodie" apparently invited Brady over to pick up the package. Brady did so, and there weren't any problems.

In fact, Hatton said her soon-to-be daughter-in-law told her the woman was very friendly. ...........................................During Thursday's visit, "Brodie" invited Brady inside to see the baby's room.

"She acted really nice. She offered to show her the baby's room that she had done. Sarah noticed that she locked the door behind her. Sarah said, 'I have to leave now. I have to pick up my son from school,'" said Hatton.

"The lady said, 'If you leave, I'll kill you.' She pulled a knife out on her," Hatton added.

Hatton said the woman begged Brady not to leave, and when she tried to, the woman attacked her with a knife.

"She had knocked it out of her hand and then there was a struggle on the floor and the lady had bent her finger and had scratched her. The lady got the knife again and tried to stab her again," Hatton said.

The knife is from Smith's apartment, according to police. ..............................................................................Other neighbors on Superior Drive in Ft. Mitchell said Smith -- who was heavy-set -- was pregnant.

"As we understand it, Mrs. Brady is, in fact, pregnant and the other young lady was not," said Chief Steve Hensley, of the Ft. Mitchell Police.

Police say Brady was lying along the road suffering from stab wounds to her hands and arms when they responded to the scene. A short time later, police found Smith unresponsive in her basement apartment.

Brady was due February 3, but has not given birth as of Thursday night. Brady's family said she's doing very well considering the circumstances.

Police did question Brady, but let her go without filing any charges. Her injuries are consistent with self-defense-type wounds, police said.

The investigation remains open.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/02/10/stabbing.html

http://wkrc.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=71506536-F0E0-4016-91B9-F1E6D770C6CA

Debbie Hatton is Sarah's mother-in-law. She says a woman called out of the blue Wednesday, telling Sarah she had the similar name of "Sarah Brody" and that baby gifts were delivered to her Ft. Mitchell apartment by mistake. Sarah picked them up. Thursday, Sarah received another call from the same woman, telling her:

"We have another package for you. And when she went, she wouldn't let Sarah leave the house. She said if you leave me I will kill you and pulled a knife on her."

Police are investigating if that woman, Katie Smith, came to the Florence Toys-R-Us Store, looking to find a woman who is due to give birth. Sarah Brady is registered for baby gifts here, her due date, printed right on the registry print-out. Police want to know if Smith then found Brady in the phone book, luring her to her apartment with the bogus story about baby gifts. Police want to know if Smith planned on stealing Brady's baby. Her family believes that's the awful case.

"Do you think she was luring her, a pregnant woman over there to get a baby? yes , yes. To kill her to maybe take her baby. She found an innocent person who wouldn't hurt nobody, she just defended for her life."

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/02/11/stabbing_noon.html

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/4187923/detail.html

FORT MITCHELL, Ky. -- Police say a woman who is 9-months pregnant killed another woman who may have been trying to steal her baby.

Police in the northern Kentucky town of Fort Mitchell said Sarah Brady, 26, acted in self-defense after Katherine Smith, 22, attacked her with a knife.

4189457_200X150.jpg
Police said Sarah Brady acted in self-defense in stabbing to death a woman who wanted to cut out Brady's unborn baby. No charges were filed.

Brady was treated for cuts and isn't being charged, reported WLWT-TV in Cincinnati. Her baby, which was due Friday but who has not yet been born, is OK.

Smith died at a hospital, police said. Smith had falsely claimed to be pregnant, going so far as to set up a full nursery in her apartment, police said.

"Katie Smith has a complete nursery with all of the furniture, baby clothes, diapers, formula -- everything a parent expecting a newborn should have," said Sgt. Tom Loos, of Fort Mitchell police.
more at link:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/4189151/detail.html

At least this one didn't succeed!:woohoo:

Ft. Mitchell police are beginning to piece together a picture of woman who apparently had such an obsessive desire to be pregnant and have a child -- that she allegedly attacked a pregnant woman.

And they say it didn't just start recently or at her Ft. Mitchell apartment, either.

9News tracked down Katie Smith's previous address at an apartment complex in Park Hills, where she lived on the second floor.

Just last summer, she lived upstairs in a two-story house on Sterrett Avenue in the Wallace Woods neighborhood.

A neighbor who lives in the downstairs apartment, says he thought katie was pregnant, last summer.

"When she left here, she was pregnant enough that she was showing," said Paul Eckert, a former neighbor. "When we moved in, there was a baby seat in the hallway and a couple of books about parenting and babycare."

Smith even set up a nursery inside her small first-floor apartment in Ft. Mitchell.

Relatives thought Smith was pregnant, too -- although an autopsy shows she was not.

"I talked to about 13 family members who called me," said Sergeant Tom Loos, of the Ft. Mitchell police. "She kept moving the delivery date forward, and the latest date was supposed to be yesterday or today."

Smith's father, Timothy, is now serving a 20-year sentence at an eastern Kentucky prison for first degree sodomy, involving Smith when she was a child.

Psychiatrists say child sexual abuse could be a factor in making a 22-year old woman want a child, at any cost.

"This kind of reactional, false pregnancy is very uncommon," said Dr. Cal Adler, a psychiatry professor at the University of Cincinnati.

"But it is true that in some cases, the need to be pregnant, the need to have a child can be overwhelming and it can lead to a desperation," Adler said.

After Ft. Mitchell police reported Smith used a baby registry on the Babies 'R Us website to find Sara Brady, Babies 'R Us issued the following statement:

"We place the highest priority on respecting the privacy of all our guests. We recognize the serious nature of the situation and are actively investigating this matter."
Some of Smith's relatives say they remember her telling stories about being pregnant -- back when she was 13 years old.

They say the family tried to get Smith get help throughout her teen-age years -- but nothing seemed to stop her fantasies of becoming a mother.
=========================================================

her father is doing 20 yrs for the sexual molestation. I heard on TV that family members say he didn't do it, that Smith was always making things up. Of course that is a common comment by relatives in sexual molestation cases

I know this story isn't funny, but the news site made a typo and it cracked me up. Here's the story:

Pregnant woman says she had to killer her attacker

My question is how do you killer an attacker ?!?

Excerpt from the story:

A pregnant woman who killed her attacker said a maternal instinct helped her fight off the woman who investigators believe was after her unborn child.

"I do believe that I fought harder because it was for my child," Sarah Brady told ABC's "Good Morning America" in interviews aired Sunday and Monday. "It is a maternal instinct to protect your child to the very end."

Bobbie Jo Stinnett fought hard for her life and her baby, too, but she didn't win. Thank God Sarah Brady did!! This is getting to be far too commonplace. Ladies out there who are pregnant, be very careful!!

Now the defense attorney for Smith's father is saying or TV that since Smith's truthfulness is in question, he would like to see her father's case reopened. He states that Smith's testimony was the main evidence against her father and that the family had told him Smith was well known for exaggeration and outright lies. Prosecutors are saying no.

FORT MITCHELL, Kentucky (AP) -- A pregnant woman who killed her attacker said a maternal instinct helped her fight off the woman who investigators believe was after her unborn child.

"I do believe that I fought harder because it was for my child," Sarah Brady told ABC's "Good Morning America" in interviews aired Sunday and Monday. "It is a maternal instinct to protect your child to the very end."

Katherine Smith, 22, died Thursday after luring Brady to her apartment to pick up a package supposedly delivered to the wrong address. When Smith pulled out a knife and attacked the pregnant woman, Brady fought back, striking Smith on the head with an ash tray and stabbing her three times with her own knife, police said.

Brady, 26, said she didn't know Smith before the two met at Smith's apartment and can't be certain why Smith wanted to kill her.

"I really am not sure what was going through her mind," Brady told ABC.

"The only thing I thought was that she was going to kill me and my child and that is the only thing that ran through my mind."

Police said Smith passed herself off as pregnant by wearing padded maternity clothes and carried an ultrasound picture of someone else's twins. Inside her apartment, they found a baby nursery and a variety of surgical equipment that police said could have been used in delivering a baby.

"She was mentally disturbed," Fort Mitchell police Sgt. Tom Loos said of Smith. "There is no question about it."

Loos said that when Brady ran out of the apartment and flagged down a passing motorist for help, Smith removed her maternity underwear stuffed with padding and called 911. Dispatchers kept her on the line until she lost consciousness.

Smith bled to death. Police described Brady's wounds as cuts to her hands.

No charges had been filed against Brady, and Commonwealth Attorney Bill Crockett said he hadn't decided whether to present the case to a grand jury.

Several pregnant women have been killed in recent years by attackers who then removed their fetuses, in some cases to pass the children off as their own.

In December, a Missouri woman was strangled and her baby was cut from her womb. The baby was later found alive, and a Kansas woman was charged with kidnapping resulting in death.

In 2003, a woman was shot to death in Oklahoma, allegedly by another woman who then pretended the 6-month-old fetus was her child. That fetus died.

Brady, who is nine months pregnant and due with a girl any day, said the baby is a blessing.

"I think I'm extremely lucky," Brady said. "I'm just glad I that I made it out with my baby alive."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/14/woman.attacked.ap/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back