Identified! CO - Golden, WhtMale Skel UP10876, 21-57, Dec'12 - Lorne Mabbutt

DylansMom34

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22216925/human-skeleton-found-near-red-rocks

Three hikers found a human skeleton in rugged terrain near Red Rocks Amphitheater on Dec. 14, according to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office.

The hikers were about three-tenths of a mile above and to the west of the entertainment venue when they found the bleached bones. The remains were clothed in blue sweatpants or shorts "and appeared to have been there for quite some time," according to a Sheriff's release.

Amy Ahonen, Kim Remmel, Kara Nichols, Angelica Sandoval, Aaron Martin, Kayla Chadwick.....

Wonder what "some time" means?

Well, at a guess at least three to six months to be completely skeletized. And since pants were still there probably no more than three or four years at the most. Just a guess. I am sure LE will come out with an estimate on that soon.

Amy Ahonen, Kim Remmel, Kara Nichols, Angelica Sandoval, Aaron Martin, Kayla Chadwick.....

Location-wise, I'm thinking of the persons on this list, Amy Ahonen, Kim Remmel or Aaron Martin went missing fairly close. Although Aaron Martin has been missing since the end of October (is that enough time?). Also, if it were Kim, I would think maybe her car would have also been found. I'm thinking more likely Amy than the others listed.

Of course this could always be someone not even on our radar screen. I hope LE is able to figure it out and give someone's family some closure.

The time frame of the remains being completely skeltonized and the location being close to Golden makes me think Amy Ahonen. I tried to look up and see what's she was last seen wearing as the article says the remains were clothed in blue sweatpants or shorts but couldn't find anything about her clothing.

There's no clothing description for Kim, either. Or a definite last seen. I know her car's missing too but I think there may be a good chance she's been separated from it. Kim was tiny. Listed as 5'3 and slight but some think she may have been smaller than that.

There's no clothing description for Kim, either. Or a definite last seen. I know her car's missing too but I think there may be a good chance she's been separated from it. Kim was tiny. Listed as 5'3 and slight but some think she may have been smaller than that.

She was last seen the evening before she disappeared; she had dinner with friends.

I only knew Kim via email but people we know in common have said she was a tiny, tiny woman. They said she looked far younger than her chronological age due to the combination of her size and her very delicate features.

If this is Kim's body, where is her truck? If it is Kim and her truck is nowhere to be found... well, that's pretty telling, even if they cannot determine a cause of death.

Yes, I see now. She had dinner with friends, went home and disappeared the next morning. Hence no description of clothing. But then, how is it known she left the next morning? I'm a bit confused now.

It looks as though Kim is wearing sweatpants to me, in both of those full length photos.

It takes about 24 hours to process a DNA sample into a CODIS profile. The remains were found on the 14th. I would have expected the results to be available by now unless the lab is overloaded.

Going farther back -- isn't that pretty close to the area the Skibas disappeared from in 1999? "Bleached" bones could be quite old and somtimes bits of material survive for years.

Yes, I see now. She had dinner with friends, went home and disappeared the next morning. Hence no description of clothing. But then, how is it known she left the next morning? I'm a bit confused now.

It looks as though Kim is wearing sweatpants to me, in both of those full length photos.

She lived in an apartment in her aunt's house. Her aunt noticed her truck was gone the next morning but wasn't alarmed until much later in the day.

It takes about 24 hours to process a DNA sample into a CODIS profile. The remains were found on the 14th. I would have expected the results to be available by now unless the lab is overloaded.

BBM

But it can takes days, weeks or even months for a DNA sample to be tested. Testing skeletal remains is not an easy matter.

Quote:

Additionally, trace amounts of DNA from bone remains can be recovered and analyzed by a molecular geneticist. DNA survival is greatest in dense bone, such as teeth, than in any other type of tissue. In fact, it has been possible to extract small amounts of DNA recovered from bones that are thousands of years old and perform DNA analysis by amplifying the DNA sequences with a technique known as polymerase chain reaction, or PCR. Bones from murder victims have been successfully identified almost a decade after the person died using comparative DNA typing and DNA markers. DNA markers from the bone sample are compared to DNA markers from samples from the possible parents of the victim. If enough DNA markers are analyzed and these markers match the parents, it is possible to conclude with a high level of certainty the identity of the victim. The degradation rate of DNA extracted from rib bones has also been used to determine the time interval since death of a victim.

http://www.enotes.com/skeletal-analysis-reference/skeletal-analysis

Okay, I did some reading, and it takes about a year in the elements to bleach bones. They're apparently very greasy, and that has to dry out for the "bleaching" to occur. I remember from Caylee's case that it only took about 2 weeks for her to become completely skeletonized. :( So anyway, I doubt it's Kara, Aaron, or Kim. Carbuff, I just read that the Skiba's were last seen in Morrison, which is literally right there. That would be wonderful if it were one of them. Good call! I hope it's not someone we're not familiar with. I'd rather have no new victims and have a long questioning family get closure.

Here's another name to add to the mix:

James Ryan Bartholomew
bartholomew_james_ryan_zps7d8edab5-1_zps7dc0b387.jpg

http://www.nampn.org/cases/bartholomew_james_ryan.html

Englewood CO is only 14 miles from Red Rocks Park, and nearly a straight-shot west on Hwy 285.

Google map link showing spot where remains were found.

This is almost due west of the Red Rocks amphitheater. A fairly steep and rugged area with scattered juniper trees and rock outcrops. This photo was taken a bit to the north of that spot, but does show what the terrain looks like.

picture.php

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back