981 users online (171 members and 810 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

FL - Melissa Stoddard, 11, tortured to death, Sarasota, Dec 2012

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/...tying-daughter

SARASOTA, Florida -- A Sarasota man was arrested today for aggravated child abuse after police say he hog-tied his 11-year-old daughter, who later died.

The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office says Melissa Stoddard stopped breathing on December 12. The girl was taken to Doctor's Hospital, then transferred to All Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg, where doctors discovered she had severe brain damage. Deputies say she also had ligature marks on her upper arms, wrists, ankles and thigh area......more at link.....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Poor, poor girl.

What about the stepmother? Misty Stoddard according to Melissa's siblings was in on the "punishment" as well.

Melissa is having a service on Saturday, but that is all it says in the obituary.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ughter-s-death

oh come on! When does the idiocy and cruelty end. IN what universe did this prime example of humanity think this was okay???
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    Poor, poor girl.

What about the stepmother? Misty Stoddard according to Melissa's siblings was in on the "punishment" as well.

Melissa is having a service on Saturday, but that is all it says in the obituary.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ughter-s-death
    I don't understand why the step-mother was not charged either, Filly...she was the one actively working on the girl in her room that night. Here is the probable cause document...the treatment of this little girl was horrendous...the SM should be charged too and IMO it should be murder for both of them. They both attempted to hide the instuments of torture before calling 911....

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...affadavit.html

I am really wondering why she was living with them and not the mother who said she was no trouble to her....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Melissa Stoddard
    Gone Too Soon
    Rest in Peace

Rest.In.Peace.Sweet.Melissa. May you find some sweet souls to run and play with in pure grace and freedom. We all failed you and I am so sorry.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Officials explained why Misty Stoddard has not been charged. She's in a hospital unavailable to them as she tried to kill herself. She is also pregnant.

Explains who is who in the blended family. Kenneth Stoddard and Melissa's mother had a consensual custody agreement.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ar-old-s-death

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    Officials explained why Misty Stoddard has not been charged. She's in a hospital unavailable to them as she tried to kill herself. She is also pregnant.

Explains who is who in the blended family. Kenneth Stoddard and Melissa's mother had a consensual custody agreement.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ar-old-s-death

Thanks, Filly...from your link:

Both men explained that additional arrests and more serious charges -- including murder -- are likely. ..............[GOOD!]

The young girl lost more than 20 pounds during her three-month stay, they said.

“I can't think of any circumstance at all where this type of treatment would be justified,” Bell said...............

“I am sad, shocked, angry and confused,” Lisha Stoddard said. “I can't believe Melissa is no longer with me. She was such a happy, joyful child.”

Her mother described Melissa as a happy child who loved to climb trees, sing and swim. ...............

“He was a good father, always good to them and her daughter,” she said. “When we were married, he was always good to them.” ................

UPDATE: Stepmother arrested in 11-year-old's abuse death

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...2209990/0/NEWS

SARASOTA COUNTY - Misty Stoddard, the step-mother of 11-year-old Melissa Stoddard who died Monday, has been charged as an accomplice in the girl’s death..............

Sheriff Tom Knight said Thursday that more serious charges, including murder, are likely but require time and coordination with investigators, physicians, the medical examiner and the State Attorney’s Office.

More at link.....

"Another sibling admitted to helping to remove the board that Melissa was tied down to that night and hiding it in the woods prior to the the arrival of EMS."

http://www.mysuncoast.com/news/local...9bb30f31a.html

ugh way to screw up another generation! I hope they get the psychiatric care they are going to need! poor kids! Poor little girl!

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...Stoddard-trial

A 14-person jury was seated Tuesday in the Misty Stoddard murder trial, ending the two-day selection process.

Stoddard, 37, is accused of first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse causing great bodily harm in the death of her stepdaughter, Melissa Stoddard.
    http://www.news-record.com/news/crim...a4bcf6878.html

Melissa’s biological father, Kenneth Stoddard, 39, is charged with aggravated child abuse in the death, according to online records. His trial is expected to be held later this year.

I felt I owed it to Melissa to read it all-I don't understand how or why bio dad is being charged to a lesser degree, frankly. Absence shouldn't minimize the fact that he participated in this crime equally imvho.

Bio mom will never forgive herself I am sure, but if I had a need to quarterback I would have to question what truly motivated her to send her autistic child away to a home that was clearly chaotic. I think the special report written about Melissa's case does a very good job of subtly pointing out that many families aren't equipped to deal with children like her-it is very hard for me not to read some of that into bio mom's decision to send Melissa away. That doesn't mean I assign her any responsibility for her daughter's torture murder. I don't walk in her shoes-but I feel like I would have picked Melissa.

I cant necessarily apply the "equipped to deal with an autistic child" to the Stoddard's home life in FL though-that one was a train wreck to begin with imo. PPD, an absent partner and that many kids complete with a primary caregiver who self reported some pretty severe issues...it seems likely that something bad was going to happen there regardless.

Melissa, I hope you are happy and free with all the ladybugs you could ever love.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    I felt I owed it to Melissa to read it all-I don't understand how or why bio dad is being charged to a lesser degree, frankly. Absence shouldn't minimize the fact that he participated in this crime equally imvho.

Bio mom will never forgive herself I am sure, but if I had a need to quarterback I would have to question what truly motivated her to send her autistic child away to a home that was clearly chaotic. I think the special report written about Melissa's case does a very good job of subtly pointing out that many families aren't equipped to deal with children like her-it is very hard for me not to read some of that into bio mom's decision to send Melissa away. That doesn't mean I assign her any responsibility for her daughter's torture murder. I don't walk in her shoes-but I feel like I would have picked Melissa.

I cant necessarily apply the "equipped to deal with an autistic child" to the Stoddard's home life in FL though-that one was a train wreck to begin with imo. PPD, an absent partner and that many kids complete with a primary caregiver who self reported some pretty severe issues...it seems likely that something bad was going to happen there regardless.

Melissa, I hope you are happy and free with all the ladybugs you could ever love.
    An article stated both Melissa and her brother were autistic. Taking one look at this beautiful child, I am pretty sure she had a genetic disorder. She may have had autistic behaviors, but as a result of an inborn error.

Too many "autistic" people are denied further testing and medical intervention once they are labeled. A trip to Genetics may have given a "why"- and medical intervention. Too many doctors label too soon.

This case has gone to trial and is being shown here:

Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 9m
    #MistyStoddard trial live streaming now. Watch it here: http://www.wildabouttrial.com/one_off/live-stream-1/

CC ‏@courtchatter 22m
    There's finally a live stream in the Misty #Stoddardtrial. Today is day 3. Watch live now http://courtchatter.tv/stoddard.htm

Defense tries to shift blame as Stoddard murder trial begins

Misty Stoddard, left, enters the Sarasota County courtroom of Judge Frederick Mercurio as the murder trial against her begins on Monday, June 23, 2014. Stoddard is charged with aggravated child abuse and first degree murder in the death of her stepdaughter, Melissa Stoddard, in December of 2012. (6.23.2014)(POOL PHOTO / Elaine Litherland, Sarasota Herald-Tribune)

STAFF PHOTO / ELAINE LITHERLAND

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ICLE/140629885
    "When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever." -Proverbs 10:25

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast