1464 users online (329 members and 1135 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Some journalists need a kick in the rear...

So. A 38 year old married predator grooms and molests a child from the age of 11 until she is 14, when he coerces her into leaving her family home. Two weeks later the victim called her family, asking for help when the man's wife mistreats her.

Just DISGUSTING. Man and wife BOTH need to do some serious prison time.

But what also has me steaming here is that the journalist responsible for the following report CHOSE to refer to this young victim as, and I am lifting direct quotes:

- his teenaged lover

- his 14-year-old girlfriend

- his young girlfriend

AND refers to the pedophile as:

- her lover

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/322059/...th-14-year-old

Just revolting.

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    I've complained / been outraged before about the same type of language used in the press or on blogs. Such as describing rape as "sex", ie "After they had sex the man dropped the victim off at a local park." No one really seems to care.

--I-- care! I'm sure plenty of WS members do, too.

The reporter responsible -might- be simply pig ignorant regarding appropriate use of language regarding minor victims of sex crimes in the news she reports. Or this Julie M. Aurelio person -might- be writing to an agenda -- cultural, political, personal, I don't know.

But whatever the cause of her unfortunate choice, IMO Ms. Aurelio ought to be sacked from her job, for using language that implies a minor gave an adult level of consent to her molester, and that their relationship was equal.

It might seem like a small thing to get riled up about, but I've studied the power that words have to change minds, opinions, cultural outlooks. Spin doctors stand behind every public official --for a reason! Language sways opinion - and public opinion holds a ton of power when it comes to policy and law making. Ms Aurelio is guilty here, IMO, of gross incompetence. Think about how empowered a habitual child molester and abductor might feel, on reading about this man and his minor 'girlfriend' or 'lover', as she was described...

I just have to say here - omg, the creep's WIFE knew about this poor child - and contributed to her harm. Monsters, both of them....

The age of consent in the Philippines is 12 years old. Sounds like the guy may face charges but pedophilia isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    I've complained / been outraged before about the same type of language used in the press or on blogs. Such as describing rape as "sex", ie "After they had sex the man dropped the victim off at a local park." No one really seems to care.

No - its not true that "No one really seems to care." I care, and you obviously care, and many other people, both on and off this board care. We care. There is power in that caring. We are making progess in cases like these where the reporter doesn't get it right.

Look at the comments under the article - many have written in to let the reporter know that she did a really lousy job of reporting the story and she did not get it right.

We care and there is strength in numbers

Salem

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    The age of consent in the Philippines is 12 years old. Sounds like the guy may face charges but pedophilia isn't one of them.
    The "relationship" started when the poor child was 11 so he should be charged.

Just the use of the word "relationship" makes me cringe.

We do care. I can't count the number of times I wrote and complained about a "journalist" making IMO light of a child rape.

This belongs here I think

http://www.yourjewishnews.com/Pages/23882.aspx

a 34-year-old stepfather rapes a 14-year-old and guess what the headline of the article is...?!?

14-year-old steals her mother's husband

I have come across attitudes regarding underage girls and older men that are extremely distasteful to me in the media in the past where a young girl willingly has sex with an older man, and this somehow makes it all okay, and "rape" is made to look like a heavy word for something more innocent.

I know a woman who was raped at 12, and went on the have consensual sex with the man because he gave her the attention she craved and wasn't getting at home.

Does she think of it as "rape" now? Yes. Heck yes. As an adult, she realises that no child can make that sort of decision wisely, and feels the man took advantage of her vulnerability and youth to get what he wanted. Which is of course why sex with minors is illegal.

I am not suggesting anyone here thinks it -is- alright! Of course. I really just needed to vent.. It makes me so furious that headlines like that can actually be published -- especially when the men are --charged-- for their crime in a court of law. It makes me really ill.

I do think journalists who are not mindful of the language they use to describe victims of a sex crime ought to be made aware of the impact their words can have on public perception (though possibly this is explained to them in "journalism 101", or I'd hope it was so..).