685 users online (74 members and 611 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 961
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    32,579

    Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #8

    Please continue the discussion here:

    At least 26 dead in shooting at Connecticut elementary school

    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/14...#ixzz2F3id8S00

    Thread #1

    Thread #2

    Thread #3

    Thread #4

    Thread#5

    Thread #6

    Thread #7


    http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Off...183652041.html
    Officials Release Names of Newtown Victims in School Massacre

    Children:
    Charlotte Bacon, 6
    Daniel Barden, 7
    Olivia Engel, 6
    Josephine Gay, 7
    Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6
    Dylan Hockley, 6
    Madeleine F. Hsu, 6
    Catherine V. Hubbard, 6
    Chase Kowalski, 7
    Jesse Lewis, 6
    James Mattioli, 6
    Grace McDonnell, 7
    Emilie Parker, 6
    Jack Pinto, 6
    Noah Pozner, 6
    Caroline Previdi, 6
    Jessica Rekos, 6
    Aveille Richman, 6
    Benjamin Wheeler, 6
    Allison N. Wyatt, 6

    Adults:
    Dawn Hochsprung, 47
    Rachel Davino, 29
    Anne Marie Murphy, 52
    Lauren Rousseau, 30
    Mary Sherlach, 56
    Victoria Soto, 27
    Nancy Lanza
    Last edited by KateB; 06-20-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,355
    Passion flower: I think you are right in your post on the previous thread about NL shutting others out of her life. I think she truly believed what she was doing for her son was the best and was not willing to entrust her son's longterm care to others, As a mother, I 'm not sure how I would have acted or what I would have done if I were in her situation. To be totally honest, I may have done the same thing she did, but I certainly would not have had dangerous weapons in my home. Very sad. If no one in her family tried to intervene and convince her to see the situation differently, they should have, esp the dad and should never have given up. Am I making sense?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,070
    The touching stories of all the victims of the Sandy Hook massacre are so important to keep in our hearts and prayers.

    It also has brought out the best in humanity; the best example of this is the press conference Saturday night (Dec 20) where Robbie Parker, the father of 6-year-old shooting victim Emilie Parker told reporters, “This world is a better place because she has been in it.” Parker stated that he wished that the tragedy would “not turn into something that defines us, but something that inspires us to be better, to be more compassionate and more humble people.”

    The full video of Robbie Parker's remarks about Emile can be viewed here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/conne...arker-17986590

    Watching it live last Saturday I was in awe of the deep belief, intricate understanding of humanity and love that Robbie Parker displays a mere 24-hours after the tragic death of his daughter Emilie Parker. I think we can all learn from Robbie Parker and, in my opinion, he showcased the best of what humanity has to offer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    9,379
    Bringing from the last thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CJMAJORGIRL24 View Post
    I totally agree. And I certainly wouldn't trust a "few" Professor's I have had with a gun. EVER. (jmo) Let alone some of the teachers in my local high school.

    According to a Juvenile Justice course that I took, most kids do join gangs because the gang is a FAMILY to them. I think we as a society need to take a step back and take a long look at a lot of issues.

    Our schools need so much help, I don't believe that I could list them all here.
    Well, unfortunately we are still working on an antiquated industrial model for schools. We are still forming huge consolidated schools. In some areas, they have tried a 'school within a school' approach with some success so that children/adolescents will not join gangs in order to have 'family' or belonging. I think it is the same concept with other students and would help with bullying and understanding differences. If schools were smaller, we also would not have such high administration costs and that money can go elsewhere.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    32,579
    Reminder!

    Please take all 'gun control' discussion to the thread we set up in our private area.
    Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community




    As quoted from JBean: "We know nothing concrete about the family dynamics.
    As posted before almost all accounts of Nancy as a mother portray her as a lovely devoted mother.
    Attacking her integrity and her choices will not be tolerated at this time. Not only is this a victim friendly site- but we have not got the first clue what is or is not true as it relates to the shooter and his mother.

    She has paid the ultimate price. leave her alone. Leave the family alone, the whole family.

    TIA
    fran
    Last edited by KateB; 06-20-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post
    Passion flower: I think you are right in your post on the previous thread about NL shutting others out of her life. I think she truly believed what she was doing for her son was the best and was not willing to entrust her son's longterm care to others, As a mother, I 'm not sure how I would have acted or what I would have done if I were in her situation. To be totally honest, I may have done the same thing she did, but I certainly would not have had dangerous weapons in my home. Very sad. If no one in her family tried to intervene and convince her to see the situation differently, they should have, esp the dad and should never have given up. Am I making sense?
    Isabelle, thank you for your thoughtful post. You raise a lot of the same feelings that I have been trying to understand as we continue to read "news" reports crucifying Nancy Lanza. After reading endless news stories about the life of Nancy Lanza, I have come to the conclusion that we are reading a plethora of misinformation and rumors from people who casually knew Nancy Lanza or, in some documented cases, didn't know Nancy Lanza at all. It is very troubling to me; I feel like we witnessing the worst exercise of modern "journalism" with the coverage of Adam & Nancy Lanza's background-- It just seems the media is throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks...

    I'm really trying to understand why Nancy Lanza is being crucified by the media and the public to the point that many in the media are essentially blaming her for enabling Adam Lanza's actions but Adam's father, Peter Lanza, is not facing any backlash for Adam's actions.

    According to USA Today the Lanza's had "joint legal custody" of Adam with Nancy having primary custody.

    It is sickening and disgusting to me that the public and media are blaming a dead woman, murdered by her own son, for Adam's actions yet Peter Lanza is not accountable on any level for Adam's actions. I'm sure that Peter Lanza being a Vice President at GE Energy Financial Services and GE owning 49% of both NBC & MSNBC allows that "news" division to give Peter Lanza a pass.

    Isn't it interesting that this is one of the few mass shootings that the media isn't giving the accused shooter's middle name? Guess what, the accused shooter's full name: Adam Peter Lanza. If they were using his middle name, Peter, in coverage it might remind us that he has a father too...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,690
    ACK, I freaked out for a minute there....missed the jump. Fran, you almost caught my fingers in the door when you slammed it, LOL. Thanks for the new one though.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    972
    The gun control thread is closed. ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,254
    I realize there is a gun control forum but I think/hope we as adult posters can still address the issue of guns in school here without it getting out of control..

    That being said, I would not want teachers to be armed or even a few administers. I talked with our principal at length a few days back and I mentioned the fact that I was surprised the school did not beef anything up other than placing a few more pieces of paper on additional doors with warnings that are ignored for the most part.


    Ideally all schools should have one officer but I do not think it will happen.

    Then they had their Xmas show today, all grades from pre-k thru 5th were seated on the floor in the cafeteria, I was there and took position at the cross part of an upside down T Hopefully this will make sense but at each end of the upside down T was entrance /exit doors. From my position I could view all doors. It was not until leaving that I did see a school officer outside cafeteria but from his vantage point he could not see one of the doors. I was very vigilant and I do not think he was there long, he was gone before people had even left.

    Knowing what happened at Sandy Hook and all the recent threats, that was a bad plan to have entire school sitting in the cafeteria.
    Last edited by manzana; 12-21-2012 at 02:03 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,355
    Quote Originally Posted by HastingsChi View Post
    Isabelle, thank you for your thoughtful post. You raise a lot of the same feelings that I have been trying to understand as we continue to read "news" reports crucifying Nancy Lanza. After reading endless news stories about the life of Nancy Lanza, I have come to the conclusion that we are reading a plethora of misinformation and rumors from people who casually knew Nancy Lanza or, in some documented cases, didn't know Nancy Lanza at all. It is very troubling to me; I feel like we witnessing the worst exercise of modern "journalism" with the coverage of Adam & Nancy Lanza's background-- It just seems the media is throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks...

    I'm really trying to understand why Nancy Lanza is being crucified by the media and the public to the point that many in the media are essentially blaming her for enabling Adam Lanza's actions but Adam's father, Peter Lanza, is not facing any backlash for Adam's actions.

    According to USA Today the Lanza's had "joint legal custody" of Adam with Nancy having primary custody.

    It is sickening and disgusting to me that the public and media are blaming a dead woman, murdered by her own son, for Adam's actions yet Peter Lanza is not accountable on any level for Adam's actions. I'm sure that Peter Lanza being a Vice President at GE Energy Financial Services and GE owning 49% of both NBC & MSNBC allows that "news" division to give Peter Lanza a pass.

    Isn't it interesting that this is one of the few mass shootings that the media isn't giving the accused shooter's middle name? Guess what, the accused shooter's full name: Adam Peter Lanza. If they were using his middle name, Peter, in coverage it might remind us that he has a father too...

    Agree. As I continue to move through the stages of grief after losing my son 9+ years ago, I think I understand the source of the blame for this tragedy. Immediate family, parents specifically and especially the children's mothers will remain in the intial stages of grief for several months, shock, disbelief. Those removed from the immediate family, the community, will advance to the anger stage much much faster. I think the blame and anger is not really directed at NL, but directed to the fact that she had guns in the home and AL was able to obtain and use them and when we place blame, we place it on people, not things ordinarily. Hope this makes sense. At this time in my life, 9+ years later, I continue to travel back and forth through the stages of grief and often jump around. I don't think this ever ends. Am so incredibly sorry this happened. Even though I have experienced the loss of a child, I cannot imagine what the parents of these Angels will feel but I know that they will feel pain that no living thing should ever have to feel for any reason. Thanks for letting me ramble.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,224
    We need to be able to have a civilized discussion about solutions to the problem of lunatic shooters somewhere, please! I posted here, then saw Fran said that was a no no, so went to the designated thread, and found it closed.

    I don't want to see our schools turned into police states nor do I want children and teachers to be sitting ducks for the next loon.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,690
    Unless some things change, it'll be awfully hard to get an armed officer in every school. We have more schools here than we do full time police officers. Whether you are for or against guns in schools....that's a sad state of affairs, right there.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165
    Last edited by KateB; 06-20-2015 at 09:46 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post
    Agree. As I continue to move through the stages of grief after lost in my son 9+ years ago, I think I understand the source of the blame for this tragedy. Immediate family, parents specifically and especially the children's mothers will remain in the intial stages of grief for several months, shock, disbelief. Those removed from the immediate family, the community, will advance to the anger stage much much faster. I think the blame and anger is not really directed at NL, but directed to the fact that she had guns in the home and AL was able to obtain and use them and when we place blame, we place it on people, not things ordinarily. Hope this makes sense. At this time in my life, 9+ years later, I continue to travel back and forth through the stages of grief and often jump around. I don't think this ever ends. Am so incredibly sorry this happened. Even though I have experienced the loss of a child, I cannot imagine what the parents of these Angels will feel but I know that they will feel pain that no living thing should ever have to feel for any reason. Thanks for letting me ramble.
    Isabelle: I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your son and will keep you and your loved one's in my thoughts and prayers this holiday season.

    In the last week I saw two very different versions of parents dealing with tragic loss: Robbie Parker's words last Saturday night and Tilda Swinton's performance in the film "We Need to Talk About Kevin".

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    Reminder!

    Please take all 'gun control' discussion to the thread we set up in our private area.
    Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community




    As quoted from JBean: "We know nothing concrete about the family dynamics.
    As posted before almost all accounts of Nancy as a mother portray her as a lovely devoted mother.
    Attacking her integrity and her choices will not be tolerated at this time. Not only is this a victim friendly site- but we have not got the first clue what is or is not true as it relates to the shooter and his mother.

    She has paid the ultimate price. leave her alone. Leave the family alone, the whole family.

    TIA
    fran
    The Gun Control thread is locked until the personal back and forth insults can be addressed.
    As for the conversation about NL it seems to just continue to spiral out of control.
    We do not have any concrete information as to the dynamics and the accusations are getting OTT. Wait until we have concrete information. TO's will be given to those that continue to attack the victim.

Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #11
    By fran in forum CT - Newtown Sandy Hook Elementary School
    Replies: 1526
    Last Post: 03-08-2017, 05:35 PM
  2. Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #9
    By fran in forum CT - Newtown Sandy Hook Elementary School
    Replies: 511
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 12:56 PM
  3. Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #6
    By fran in forum CT - Newtown Sandy Hook Elementary School
    Replies: 1060
    Last Post: 12-19-2012, 03:06 PM
  4. Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #5
    By fran in forum CT - Newtown Sandy Hook Elementary School
    Replies: 1054
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 10:45 AM
  5. Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#4
    By fran in forum CT - Newtown Sandy Hook Elementary School
    Replies: 1058
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 01:58 AM

Tags for this Thread