1264 users online (249 members and 1015 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

State Supreme Court Rules ‘Irresistible’ Employees Can Be Fired

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...-can-be-fired/

An Iowa dentist was within his legal rights when he fired a longtime employee he found to be “irresistible” and a threat to his marriage, the State Supreme Court unanimously ruled.

The seven justices, all male, affirmed on Friday a lower court’s decision in favor of Dr. James Knight, who terminated Melissa Nelson after employing her for 10 and a half years as a dental assistant............

Knight acknowledged in court documents that Nelson was good at her job and she, in turn, said she was generally treated with respect.

When Nelson’s husband tried to reason with Knight, the dentist told him he “feared he would have an affair with her down the road if he did not fire her.” ...........more at link............

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Iowa is a 'Right To Work' State. From what I understand, in those States an employer can fire an employee for any reason whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracka*Jaxx View Post
    Iowa is a 'Right To Work' State. From what I understand, in those States an employer can fire an employee for any reason whatsoever.
    Traditionally, "right to work" means right to work whether or not you join a union, not right to terminate an employee in violation of the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution.

This decision is outrageous! Unless the doctor was able to show his assistant was somehow encouraging his affection, his inability (or feared future inability) to control himself is not her problem.

In this link:

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/State...184521271.html

it is written that the doctor and assistant exchanged flirtatious emails concerning her revealing attire. Certainly, the employer has a right to set a dress code. And perhaps the court found that both had gone beyond the bounds of a proper work relationship.

But the court seems to have ruled that the termination was based on sexual allure rather than gender bias. I wonder if they asked the doctor whether he'd have the same problem with a male assistant?

The link also quotes the fired woman's lawyer as saying her client has no other recourse. I wish I understood why this matter can't be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

According to the link below, the Iowa Supreme Court specifically found that the terminated employee had NOT engaged in "flirtatious conduct" with her boss. Basically, it appears they found her blameless, yet responsible for her own termination.

And her lovely boss gave her a whole month's severance after, IIRC, 10 years' employment!

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Io...j/-/index.html

(Crack, none of the links I can find mention the "right to work" principle, but the decision was based on the Iowa constitution, not the U.S.)

Horrible decision... IMO- if the wifey thinks she solved that problem, she's only kidding herself.
    Judgment is not about destruction, but about setting things right.

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoda View Post
    Horrible decision... IMO- if the wifey thinks she solved that problem, she's only kidding herself.
    Amen and worth repeating, zip.

Which century are we living in, again? What a backwards decision!

Seriously - how can a decision like that be deemed legal, in America, in the 21st Century? How is that possible?

I am just thrown for a loop that a woman can fired because her boss is scared of his own lack of self-control. And/or his wife.

In either case, that employee should sue the pants off him. Pun intended.

Iowa (again!), formerly Florida, Land of the Sun
    I live in Iowa and am studying to be a paralegal, lol.

Here's a little inof about Iowa’s Right to Work law.
    http://www.nrtw.org/c/iartwlaw.htm

Also, if an employee does not have a signed contract with their employer, they are considered an "at-will" employee, which means that the employment is voluntary and indefinite for both the employer and the employee. Either party can terminate the relationship at anytime.

http://www.iowa-lawblog.com/2007/10/...ll-employment/

This will never apply to me! A 'benefit' of being a plain jane.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Yes as I understand it, an employer can fire you for any reason just like you can quit your job for any reason. That is if there is no contract and there is no violation of laws against discrimination. I think this case is discrimination so I don't see why it couldn't go to the U.S. Supreme Court.

When I heard this on the news today, they said that the doctor fired the woman because his wife wanted her gone. If that's what actually happened then maybe he should have fired his wife instead.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Who would want to have an affair with someone they already had worked with, saw every day, and seen aging over ten years. They, at least, should have been good friends or sick of each other. The flirty emails were inappropriate. Maybe he was in love with her?

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/21/ju...ker/index.html

Her interview and photos in the video. She says she wore scrubs at work...

If he's got a scrubs fetish that threatens his marital fidelity maybe he's in the wrong line of work.

Wow, wonder if she volunteered to wear a burka to work she could have kept her job?

It's disgusting to me that men have just been given a free pass to blame women for their inability to control themselves. What's next ? Start stoning raped women and pointing the finger at them for dressing a certain way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast