1075 users online (159 members and 916 guests)  

Websleuths News

OR - Mass suicide planned in Yahoo chatroom

GRANTS PASS, Ore. — A man used an Internet chat room to try to set up a mass suicide on Valentine's Day involving more than two dozen women across the United States and Canada, authorities said.

Gerald Krein, 26, was arrested Wednesday at his mother's mobile home in Klamath Falls and faces charges of solicitation to commit murder, sheriff's deputies said. Investigators are subpoenaing chat room records to try to contact people who may have planned to take part in the suicide.

(enlarge photo)
    Gerald Krien, 26, of Klamath Falls, Ore., is seen in this photo released by the Klamath County Sheriff's Office Thursday, Feb. 10, 2005. Krien who allegedly sent e-mails to solicit a mass suicide on Valentine's Day involving as many as 32 people across the nation and Canada has been arrested, officials said. (AP Photo/Klamath County Sheriff's Office)
    Detectives learned of the plan from a woman in Canada who said she saw the message in a Yahoo chat room that had the words "Suicide Ideology" in the title.

The woman told detectives she was going to take part in the suicide but had second thoughts when another chat room participant said she would do it and talked about killing her two children before taking her own life, said Klamath County Sheriff Tim Evinger.

"Our primary goal is to try to locate where these endangered children might be," Evinger said. "We need to investigate where these other computers are. Hopefully we can intervene if anyone still has the notion to follow through with this."

The chat room participants planned to log in on Valentine's Day and commit suicide while keeping in touch over the Internet, Evinger said. The chat room is no longer active.

Krein was looking for women and children to join in the suicide, said sheriff's Capt. Chris Montenaro. Investigators believe the total number, including Krein, was 32, Montenaro said
    .................................................. ..............................
    There is always a chance this is a joke, but our position is in this world, any time a person makes these kinds of overt actions, they need to be looked into," Caleb said.

A grand jury will convene on Monday to determine if Krein will face additional charges, Caleb said.

R. Thomas Boone, an assistant professor in the Department of Psychology at St. John's University in New York, said Valentine's Day can be a powerful psychological trigger for lonely people.

"Valentine's Day is one those things where people say, `I should have someone with me,'" Boone said. "Then they go look for someone. Often times these are people of low self-esteem. They get involved with someone more powerful, who has got charisma and seems to have the answer."
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

ariel7 is offline For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Sick

This is just sick! I hope they find these people before it is too late. I hope
    those out there feeling so hopeless will realize there IS hope. That life
    IS worth living.

I hung out in a MSN chat room for a couple of weeks, just to see what it was all about. They do do some weird things in there. Once an alleged female proctologist went through a simulated protology exam with one of the men (extremely funny they really hammed it up). My last week there, a woman started telling that her boyfriend was breaking into her house, he was there to kill her told what he was supposedly doing to her, told how she was going to shoot him. And through it all, she kept typing without a break. She went offline and didn't come back on that night. That was my last night there. I don't think it was real, but was extremely scary. I don't know if the suicide pact was real or not, but the danger is that even though most may not have been serious, it only takes one who thought he/she was participating in the real thing to make it serious. I read that one mother decided online to kill her 2 children before killing herself.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Drama, drama, all the time on the internet.

ariel7 is offline For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
    Here's a link with a pic of the guy and a bit more info on this
    "man".

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-240033c.html

He looks like an unkempt version of my sister's "psychotic"
    ex-husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket
    Drama, drama, all the time on the internet.
    This is true...but provide that scenario to teenagers, who thrive on drama, and you have created a deadly sceen. There have been other cases of teens committing suicide while online, and I suspect we will see many more in the future

additional info

Sheriff: Online suicide pact had sexual overtones
    Alleged plot also involved people in Canada, Britain
    Saturday, February 12, 2005 Posted: 10:54 PM EST (0354 GMT)

Gerald Krein, 26, had no prior criminal record.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man in custody on suspicion of trying to arrange mass suicide

KLAMATH FALLS, Oregon (CNN) -- An Internet suicide pact believed planned by an Oregon man for Valentine's Day had sexual overtones and involved computer users in other countries, Klamath County Sheriff Timothy Evinger said Saturday.

Gerald Krein, 26, was charged Thursday with solicitation to commit murder and conspiracy to commit manslaughter, after organizing the effort via an Internet chat room, authorities in Klamath Falls said.

Krein has no previous criminal record.

A grand jury is expected to get the case Monday.

Among those who agreed to kill themselves was a mother who also planned to kill her two young children, Evinger said.

Authorities said Krein apparently planned to coordinate the suicides on Monday over the Internet, possibly by using Web cameras. Evinger said the chat room was no longer active.

The alleged plot was exposed earlier this week when a Canadian woman with the chat room name "hapieluv" got cold feet and alerted authorities.

Saturday, three other women came forward and revealed more information about the group called "Suicide Party 2005," whose members communicated in a chat room by that name. The women said participants were to commit suicide by hanging.

Among the tipsters were two women, who both have children, from Virginia and Missouri.

"There seems to be a common theme that the people who are coming forward are women," Evinger said. "There have been comments about sex acts being performed, whether it's by Internet or in person, followed by a suicide."

Evinger said the alleged suicide plot also extended to Britain.

According to Evinger, Krein used Suicideparty2005 as his Instant Messaging screen name and allegedly organized a chat room involving incest.

In the chat room, a number of suicide options were discussed, including killing oneself while naked, the sheriff said. Authorities provided an example of one of the conversations, which allegedly took place between Krein and a woman.

Question - woman: How did you come up with the idea of a party? That's pretty creative.Answer: Just did. So do you want to join?Answer - woman: Maybe.Question: Do you want to hang?Answer - woman: No, gas.

Evinger said Krein may have tried to contact women through a defunct British Web site dating to July 2003 called www.wannado.com.

One alleged chat room participant said of the message-sender, "He turned from the very beginning, saying, you know, have you ever thought about it? Have you ever joined a suicide party? That was like the third thing he asked me."

Authorities admit they don't know for sure whether any of the members, including Krein himself, planned to commit suicide, or whether some were playing a prank.

But Evinger told CNN, "It becomes more than a hoax to us when a woman from Toronto calls us and indicates she's going to commit suicide.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/12/val...ide/index.html

Authorities first thought Gerald Krein was planning a mass Internet suicide pact timed to coincide with the Valentine's Day observance. They now say, however, that Krein's alleged pact, first reported Friday, was more likely a cynical manipulation of people suffering from depression and other personal problems, a manipulative strategy going back to 2000.

Krein told investigators at least 31 chat room participants agreed to the suicide pact, authorities said. So far, investigators have tracked down four women: the woman who came forward in Canada and three others living in Oregon, Missouri and Virginia.

“In the Missouri and Virginia case, he was inviting them to bring their children with them,” Evinger said. “It would have been four children total.”

While the Valentine’s Day suicide was intended to be executed as a group, others were intended as individual experiences, Evinger said. “He had a Web cam,” the sheriff said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6952993/

Thanks for the new link Timex, I hadn't seen that. Nor had I realized the extent of it. He has been trying to get someone to commit suicide 4-5 years now. I wonder if he has gotten anyone to do it yet? It sounds like the police have gone to a lot of effort to find out. I am glad they are going to the max on this. There are a lot of sicko's out there, and unfortunately the internet seems to make people think they can get extreme and get away with it.