1211 users online (276 members and 935 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AUS 14yr old Boy dies in 118F heat on hike with father

A boy, on Christmas holiday, visiting his father dies while on a hike with his father. Can a knowledgeable outdoorsperson tell me if this was just bad judgement or??!! Is this the time of year to hike this location? A hike in 118 degrees? Please someone explain this to me so I can stop simmering. TIA

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ek-father.html
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

This moron (father) should be charged with manslaughter.

It's 130 in the shade up there at this time of the year.

Absolute insanity. Suicidal, especially for the inexperienced.

The saying here is "only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun". There's a reason for that.
    Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    Critical Thinking is often criticised.
    KISS

This article helped me understand the terrain and what locals think- which was no one hikes with temps like that.
    Plus "A sign put up by Western Australia’s Department of Environment and Conservation at the start of the five-mile Badjirrajirra Walk recommends that visitors avoid attempting it at this time of year."
    What was this dad thinking???

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk...ralian-1503131
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

I can totally relate to this situation. My dad always insisted on taking vacation in July and August in some of the hottest places imaginable. One year, he made us hike in Death Valley. My father didn't have a clue that this wasn't a good idea.

Another year it was Dinosaur Nat. Monument--hiking for 3-4 hours w/ no water. The water in the fountain back at the visitor's center was yellow and I wouldn't drink it. He refused to give us anything from the cooler--the fountain was good enough. It later turned out the water was contaminated. He spent a week in a trauma center for drinking so much. (I went hours without water.)

My husband frequently tells me my childhood was full of abuse; sometimes, like now, I'm amazed we made it out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This article helped me understand the terrain and what locals think- which was no one hikes with temps like that.
    Plus "A sign put up by Western Australia’s Department of Environment and Conservation at the start of the five-mile Badjirrajirra Walk recommends that visitors avoid attempting it at this time of year."
    What was this dad thinking???

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk...ralian-1503131
    Exactly! This dad obviously wasn't thinking of the best for his son...why isn't he up on charges of child endangerment or neglect, if not manslaughter as posted above?

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

The link says the Scottish father "now" lives in Australia. I wonder how long he's lived there and why he didn't know better? I live in the desert outside Los Angeles and I certainly wouldn't go hiking at those temperatures.

But I should add that it's sometimes hard to measure heat stroke. They say that by the time you feel thirsty, you are already overheated. We had a plumber carted off in an ambulance because of the heat and he and his partner had been drinking water regularly for over an hour.

My husband loves the heat and does all sorts of things outside in the summer that I wouldn't do. (It is now summer in Australia obviously.)

So whether the father should be charged with a criminal offense is difficult to say.

Turn on your oven to medium high.

Let it heat for 10 minutes.

Open it and stick your head in. That's what 130 feels like. You can literally fry an egg.
    Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    KISS

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireSteel View Post
    Turn on your oven to medium high.

Let it heat for 10 minutes.

Open it and stick your head in. That's what 130 feels like. You can literally fry an egg.
    Per this site, medium high heat is 375-400 degrees Farenheit. No desert on this planet gets that hot. LOL.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_tempe...ium_in_an_oven

But anything over 110 is frankly ridiculous, IMO, and too hot for man or beast. Yet the desert resort town in which I live does a booming business in European tourists during August. That's when they get time off, so that's when they come here. Beats me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Per this site, medium high heat is 375-400 degrees Farenheit. No desert on this planet gets that hot. LOL.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_tempe...ium_in_an_oven

But anything over 110 is frankly ridiculous, IMO, and too hot for man or beast. Yet the desert resort town in which I live does a booming business in European tourists during August. That's when they get time off, so that's when they come here. Beats me.
    I never said it gets that hot, I said it FEELS that hot.

We get to around 120 where I live and you literally do not go outside.

It is like a wall of heat hitting you, exactly like your oven when you open the door.

If you've never experienced that type of dry baking heat (days of it without end) you can't quite appreciate it. It is almost enough to send you mad.

What this father did was equivalent to leading his boy into a furnace...clearly without water too, otherwise the child would not have died.
    KISS

I never said it gets that hot, I said it FEELS that hot.

We get to around 120 where I live and you literally do not go outside.

It is like a wall of heat hitting you, exactly like your oven when you open the door.

If you've never experienced that type of dry baking heat (days of it without end) you can't quite appreciate it. It is almost enough to send you mad.

What this father did was equivalent to leading his boy into a furnace...clearly without water too, otherwise the child would not have died.
    My mistake. I'm sorry I misquoted you.

I live in the desert, too, however. I think the record here is 123.

I saw a sign at a local store: "Open until 5pm or 110 degrees." I thought that was about right.

I feel like I'm going to die in 90 degree weather. 118 is out of the question. You would find me in the refrigerator.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
    I feel like I'm going to die in 90 degree weather. 118 is out of the question. You would find me in the refrigerator.
    It takes some getting used to, alright.

The real bad times are when it doesn't quit, heats up and stays hot for a week or even two, and stays hot at night. Then it is really a struggle even for me, even with a/c, and I love the heat.

Up where this happened, it stays hot like that for 3 months in a row. It literally would be like strolling into the jaws of hell.

This guy needs shooting. I would almost call this murder, it is that insane of an act.

KISS

It takes some getting used to, alright.

The real bad times are when it doesn't quit, heats up and stays hot for a week or even two, and stays hot at night. Then it is really a struggle even for me, even with a/c, and I love the heat.

Up where this happened, it stays hot like that for 3 months in a row. It literally would be like strolling into the jaws of hell.

This guy needs shooting. I would almost call this murder, it is that insane of an act.

I was raised in the humidity capital, Florida, and when it got 90 there it would just suck the life out of me. I wouldn't go shopping, it would take a village to get me to go hiking. Is it normal to go hiking in that neck of the world?
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.

Quote Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
    I agree with you there. In recent years it's been getting hotter and hotter here in the high desert during the summer months due to global warming. Add to that my intolerance to heat due to menopause and some scripts that I now take, and for almost 3 months I can barely do anything (no a/c). And I don't even think we ever hit 100 degrees.

I can't even imagine what this father was thinking. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to feel the heat and then deduce that it's too hot to exert yourself- let alone force a child to. And in addition to a hike in extreme heat, the boy had asthma! Unless the father is mentally challenged, he most certainly should be brought up on charges of manslaughter. At the very least, he should never again be allowed to be alone with children since his judgment is so incredibly poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracka*Jaxx View Post
    I agree with you there. In recent years it's been getting hotter and hotter here in the high desert during the summer months due to global warming. Add to that my intolerance to heat due to menopause and some scripts that I now take, and for almost 3 months I can barely do anything (no a/c). And I don't even think we ever hit 100 degrees.

I can't even imagine what this father was thinking. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to feel the heat and then deduce that it's too hot to exert yourself- let alone force a child to. And in addition to a hike in extreme heat, the boy had asthma! Unless the father is mentally challenged, he most certainly should be brought up on charges of manslaughter. At the very least, he should never again be allowed to be alone with children since his judgment is so incredibly poor.
    Well in all fairness I think the father has suffered the ultimate price already. I suffer with asthma. Maybe he's the kind of father that's thinks his son should suck it up. I hope he has leaned a big lesson, not all kids are ready to take on adult activities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast