GUILTY WI - Officer Jennifer Sebena, 30, fatally shot, Wauwatosa, 24 Dec 2012

STEADFAST

Reaction score
. . . the on-duty officer was struck by multiple gunshots. Dispatchers had tried to reach her between 3 and 5 a.m. without success, and officers searched for her. A fellow officer found her dead about 5 a.m. Sebena's body was reportedly found in a parking lot at or very near Wauwatosa Fire Station No. 1, at 1463 Underwood Ave.
. . . . Witkowski would not say whether Sebena was shot in her squad car or outside of it. He also would not speculate as to what led to the shooting. He did say that she was on patrol alone and that she did not call for backup.
http://wauwatosa.patch.com/articles/breaking-news-officer-down-in-wawautosa#photo-12684743

http://www.nbc15.com/news/headlines/Wauwatosa-Police-Officer-Found-Dead-184677731.html

Sebena was 30 years old and married with no children.

Interesting in the Patch article comments how there is a poster who repeatedly informs readers it is the officer's husband who is responsible for her death (the thought did run thru my mind initially). He/she won't let up though in their comments.

Interesting in the Patch article comments how there is a poster who repeatedly informs readers it is the officer's husband who is responsible for her death (the thought did run thru my mind initially). He/she won't let up though in their comments.

That poster also seems obsessed with half-staff flag protocol. I think it's merely a troll.

A little more info about Jennifer's life:
When she was 18, Jennifer Sebena, whose maiden name was Wernitznig, was severely injured in a motorcycle crash. Her then-boyfriend Frederick Wuhrmann was intoxicated and underage when he crashed his motorcycle in the Town of Merton in 2000. Jennifer Sebena testified at the sentencing of the Wisconsin National Guard soldier that she suffered a broken elbow, fractured ribs and intense road burns that covered almost 20% of her body. Wuhrmann was sentenced to six months in jail.

Benjamin Sebena served two tours in Iraq, earning a Purple Heart when he was wounded in a mortar attack that killed a friend, and spoke in a video taped at Brookfield's Elmbrook Church about how he found his future wife through social media.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...-help-in-investigation-mf85in0-184759881.html

She was a beautiful young woman!

Odd how she was working by herself in the middle of the night. Is that allowed? My dad was a cop and he always had a partner working at night.

I think that it is odd that it took 2 hours to find her. A cop car is hard to miss. I assume that they are capable of locating the place she was when they spoke last by radio, police cars have gps, and what about cell phone pings?

There aren't a lot of vehicles or people out that early in the morning so cruising the neighborhood and checking parking lots should have been a breeze.

Her complete failure to answer her radio should have triggered an immediate officer needs assistance to her last known location. She could have answered even if outside of her car with the mike cops wear on their shoulder.

I am shocked that this PD appears not to have used gps to know where each car is at all times. I know that my city does. It is easy to track on a computer if the car has the proper equipment!

Also interesting to note in the first article that the only other officer ever killed in the line of duty in that town was also a woman. Think about it. What are the chances?

MOO

If this is confirmed, people will be outraged. The community will HATE HIM. I will be saddened, but not entirely surprised. I will HATE the system for failing him and allowing him to be unmanaged in society where he was (if charged/found guilty) a danger to society. Whether or not he is guilty, we need to look at the way we brush members of the military under the rug when they come home. We take young men (and women), like Ben, send them to war, arm them, train them to kill, subject them to mass amounts of violence, literally alter their brains/brain chemistry, label them with PTSD, tell them to pray about it and then hate them and call them "whack jobs" when they commit senseless, violent acts. As a society, we also teach members of the military that they are entitled to whatever it is they desire simply because they have military status. Respecting members of the military (or police force, for that matter) is one thing, teaching them that their actions/law violations will be excused if they flash their military ID (or badge) is detrimental to society. If you watch the video where he talks about pursuing his wife, he was almost in awe that she rejected his initial attempts to date her even after he informed her that he was a marine. He thought that alone would have sealed the deal. And herein lies the problem...or at least the start of it.

If this is confirmed, people will be outraged. The community will HATE HIM. I will be saddened, but not entirely surprised. I will HATE the system for failing him and allowing him to be unmanaged in society where he was (if charged/found guilty) a danger to society. Whether or not he is guilty, we need to look at the way we brush members of the military under the rug when they come home. We take young men (and women), like Ben, send them to war, arm them, train them to kill, subject them to mass amounts of violence, literally alter their brains/brain chemistry, label them with PTSD, tell them to pray about it and then hate them and call them "whack jobs" when they commit senseless, violent acts. As a society, we also teach members of the military that they are entitled to whatever it is they desire simply because they have military status. Respecting members of the military (or police force, for that matter) is one thing, teaching them that their actions/law violations will be excused if they flash their military ID (or badge) is detrimental to society. If you watch the video where he talks about pursuing his wife, he was almost in awe that she rejected his initial attempts to date her even after he informed her that he was a marine. He thought that alone would have sealed the deal. And herein lies the problem...or at least the start of it.

What video? I haven't seen any video of the husband. Sounds interesting!

From jsonline.com article:

"In a video filmed at Elmbrook Church in Brookfield, Benjamin Sebena talked about meeting his future wife while he was stationed overseas on his second tour of Iraq. His unit, 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, had been part of the invasion force at the start of the Iraq War in 2003 and returned to Iraq in the fall of 2004, when Benjamin Sebena was sent to Ramadi. He was seriously injured in a mortar attack that killed a buddy in February 2005.
How officer met husband

On the video, Benjamin Sebena talks about using the Internet as a release from the violence and carnage in Iraq. A picture on the screen flashes to what looks like a social media site with the image of a 22-year-old woman. Her black hair is pulled back behind a big smile. The name on the screen says Jen.

"On MySpace, I found a girl that I used to go to high school . . . with and she was cute so I sent a little thing like, 'Hey, I'm a Marine. I'm in Iraq. How ya doin?' And she sent back like, 'Ok, I'm good.' So that didn't work, but I'm a Marine, so I kept on trying. So every day we kept on writing each other emails back and forth, if not two or three of them a day. And then Feb. 3 of 2005 happened."

That's the day when he says a friend asked him to step outside for a smoke. He declined, and moments later a mortar round struck and killed Lance Cpl. Richard Clifton of Delaware. Benjamin Sebena suffered deep shrapnel wounds to his shoulder, chest, knee and face. He returned to the United States for treatment. He also continued his courtship.

"We just kept on writing back and forth every day and slowly building our relationship up," he said.

On the mend, Benjamin Sebena left the military and returned to his home state.

"I came back home to Wisconsin and started spending more time with Jen and our love flourished. We became actually infatuated with each other and then one day I asked her if she would be happy to spend the rest of her life with me and she said yes."

I wish I could go back and listen to their radio traffic on the scanner. It would be interesting to see what her last communication was, and if there was any indication that she might have keyed her shoulder mike when she couldn't talk.

I'm sure they can get her cell records and probably her husband's records to see if there were any threatening texts or if he lured her to meet him somewhere. I just can't see a police officer agreeing to meet a guy like that in the wee hours of the morning in a deserted parking lot. Seems like she would be smart enough to tell someone or meet in a well lit public place like in front of a convenience store or all night restaurant. Or not meet at all.

Violent crime rates among Iraq veterans are lower than among non-veterans, though suicide rates are higher. The media seems to love to perpetuate the myth that veterans are more likely to commit crimes when they come back from war. Articles always mention an accused's military service no matter how far back, although they don't routinely mention any other work experience. We military members and military families resent being so often painted as mentally unstable, dangerous, and damaged, especially when the facts demonstrate the complete opposite is true.

her husband is a cop from another dept...... that is why they are being tight lipped

If on duty he would have to be close, and maybe in unmarked

Some are saying he is Firefighter too. So who do we believe? Unless he is both.

they say to be aware of an ambush situation

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back