GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 *new trial request 2023* #3

Knox

Reaction score
Police have released more details in the case of missing 30-year-old Machesney Park resident Katrina A. Smith.

Smith was reported missing Tuesday, Oct. 23, by her husband. She was last seen at around 9 p.m., Monday, Oct. 22, leaving her Machesney Park residence to run an errand.

Smith’s vehicle was found abandoned at Obispo and Ventura in Machesney Park at approximately 7:50 p.m., Oct. 23. Neighbors reported seeing the vehicle parked at that location earlier in the day, unoccupied.

Smith’s purse was recovered Wednesday, Oct. 24, a short distance from where the vehicle was located. During a search conducted by family and friends on Oct. 26, papers towels were recovered with a substance believed to be blood on them. These items were recovered in a field between Obispo and Ralston Road. Tests will need to be conducted to determine whether the blood belongs to Smith. Her cell phone was recovered in the 700 block of Ralston Thursday, Oct. 25

http://rockrivertimes.com/2012/10/2...g-30-year-old-machesney-park-woman-continues/
An extensive search was conducted in the area where Smith’s car was found and family and friends of Smith also have been conducting serches.
Smith is married and her residence is on Tetterhall Lane in Machesney Park, however, she recently has been staying in Roscoe. She worked at Camryn Company in Belvidere, Ill., where she was employed in the human resource department.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the sheriff’s department at 815-319-6400 or Crime Stoppers at 815-963-7867.
http://www.beloitdailynews.com/news...cle_2ff14532-1fa0-11e2-b4d1-0019bb2963f4.html

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 02:11 PM
Last update Nov 26, 2012 @ 03:18 PM
ROCKFORD — More than two weeks after 30-year-old Katrina Smith vanished from her Machesney Park home, authorities confirmed that the body found Friday in the Rock River was hers.
http://www.rrstar.com/news/x2053822193/Katrina-Smith-found-dead-in-Rock-River

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:09 AM
Last update Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:06 PM
ROCKFORD — Katrina Smith, 30, suffered “blunt force trauma,” and investigators believe she was a homicide victim.
Today was the first time authorities publicly classified the case as a homicide, but Sheriff Dick Meyers said, “We’ve treated it as a homicide from day one.”
An autopsy performed Saturday in Ogle County confirmed Winnebago County investigators’ suspicions that Smith’s disappearance was because of foul play.
“There were several points of blunt-force throughout the body,” Meyers said.
As for how long Smith had been dead before she was discovered, Meyers said, “Every indication to us is she was in the river since the night she came up missing.”
http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1582303003/Funeral-services-for-Katrina-Smith-this-weekend

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 04:25 PM
Last update Nov 21, 2012 @ 08:27 PM
ROCKFORD — Todd C. Smith, who had reported his wife Katrina Smith missing about a month ago, was charged Wednesday with her murder.
Smith, 45, was arrested peacefully around 2:45 p.m. when Winnebago County Sheriff’s deputies pulled over a vehicle near a neighborhood off Spring Creek Road, Deputy Chief Dominic Iasparro said. Smith was a passenger in the vehicle, which was pulled over to execute the arrest.
http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1559138002/Katrina-Smiths-husband-charged-with-murder

508adf72ab9c6.preview-300.jpg

Thread #1

Thread #2

Please continue here.

REMEMBER: The bother's blog and its contents are off limits. Do not name or sleuth people that have not been named in MSM or by LE.

Thanks,

Salem

ETA: If you need to refresh your memory about the rules, you can find them right here: The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

:welcome: to all the newbies!

From where Katrina was on video at around 8 pm it would only be a trip of minutes to get to the Tetterhall Lane address. Police have arrested her husband who was at that address when he last saw her at around 9 pm according to him. I do not know if there were children there at that time. Was his story that Katrina was there to do laundry backed up by a "load" of her laundry that would have had to be there? Would she have laundry to do when a weekend had just passed? Would she wait so late to do laundry if she had to be to work the next morning by 8 or 9 am. From where she was living to the town where she worked is about a 1/2 hour drive. She would probably have to be up by 6:30 or 7 am the next morning.

If Katrina was attacked at the Tetterhall address between 8 and 9 pm, likely possible inside locations to have been tested with Luminol would be a laundry room if there is one, the basement, or the garage.

Because of his statement that Katrina left about 9 pm I think he would have driven away in her car at that time in case any neighbors were able to be witness to the car leaving.

Going on the word of previous posters that it is not likely that a body would have made it over several dams between Machesney Park and Byron I offer the following. The distance from the residence to Byron is a little more than 22 miles with a travel time of about 40 minutes down, and 40 minutes back with some additional time to dispose of Katrina's body and drive to where the car was found (I don't think he would have driven the car back to the house and then away again later).

From where the car was found to the Tetterhall Lane house is just over 3 miles and could be walked in about an hour. There was no bus service in that area. That would place arrival back at the house at about 11:30 pm.

You will notice that in the 3rd attachment there is a bridge not far from where the car was found. If TS dropped the body off that bridge the time element would have changed and he could have been back at Tetterhall Lane between 10:15 and 10:30 if he left around 9.

If Katrina was attacked at the house, there would be a lot of cleaning to be done and whatever was used (mop, sponges, brushes, rags, clothing) would have had to be cleaned or disposed of and if her car was parked outside something to hide her body to transport it to the car would likely have been used and that would have had to have been disposed of. It would have been easier for him to have driven the car into the garage to place Katrina into it after closing the garage door.

Possible evidence: Blood splatter or residue matching Katrina's blood type in the house or garage, any cleaning materials used, his clothing with Katrina's blood found on it, his fingerprints being the last ones on the door handle or steering wheel of her car or on her phone or purse.

View attachment 28815

View attachment 28817

View attachment 28819

I stated in 1 of my first posts that people were making an issue of her running an errand "that late on a work nite" but didnt find it odd that she would be doing laundry that late at night that she would have to finish before driving back to Roscoe. And I agree the 9pm time was given for a reason. Either she really left at that time or he did and a neighbor likely could've seen the car. She was on video shopping around 8pm, so in 1 hr time, she made it back to the house was beaten to death was placed in whatever blanket bag or whatever was used placed into the trunk and driving away. There would be alot of clean up involved. There would be pooling of blood, spatter, cast off from the weapon, and very likely blood on him that wouldve been transfered as he moved through the home. If LE were able to get copies of texts before they were wiped out it may help alot in determining what was happening that night. And I would assume they have already determined her injuries were before/at the time of death because the rock river is pretty rough with alot of debris so a body in there for 3 weeks could've easily sustained post mortem damage.

From where Katrina was on video at around 8 pm it would only be a trip of minutes to get to the Tetterhall Lane address. Police have arrested her husband who was at that address when he last saw her at around 9 pm according to him. I do not know if there were children there at that time. Was his story that Katrina was there to do laundry backed up by a "load" of her laundry that would have had to be there? Would she have laundry to do when a weekend had just passed? Would she wait so late to do laundry if she had to be to work the next morning by 8 or 9 am. From where she was living to the town where she worked is about a 1/2 hour drive. She would probably have to be up by 6:30 or 7 am the next morning.

If Katrina was attacked at the Tetterhall address between 8 and 9 pm, likely possible inside locations to have been tested with Luminol would be a laundry room if there is one, the basement, or the garage.

Because of his statement that Katrina left about 9 pm I think he would have driven away in her car at that time in case any neighbors were able to be witness to the car leaving.

Going on the word of previous posters that it is not likely that a body would have made it over several dams between Machesney Park and Byron I offer the following. The distance from the residence to Byron is a little more than 22 miles with a travel time of about 40 minutes down, and 40 minutes back with some additional time to dispose of Katrina's body and drive to where the car was found (I don't think he would have driven the car back to the house and then away again later).

From where the car was found to the Tetterhall Lane house is just over 3 miles and could be walked in about an hour. There was no bus service in that area. That would place arrival back at the house at about 11:30 pm.

You will notice that in the 3rd attachment there is a bridge not far from where the car was found. If TS dropped the body off that bridge the time element would have changed and he could have been back at Tetterhall Lane between 10:15 and 10:30 if he left around 9.

If Katrina was attacked at the house, there would be a lot of cleaning to be done and whatever was used (mop, sponges, brushes, rags, clothing) would have had to be cleaned or disposed of and if her car was parked outside something to hide her body to transport it to the car would likely have been used and that would have had to have been disposed of. It would have been easier for him to have driven the car into the garage to place Katrina into it after closing the garage door.

Possible evidence: Blood splatter or residue matching Katrina's blood type in the house or garage, any cleaning materials used, his clothing with Katrina's blood found on it, his fingerprints being the last ones on the door handle or steering wheel of her car or on her phone or purse.

View attachment 28815

View attachment 28817

View attachment 28819

Might just be my wonky computer, but when I click the attachments it says they are invalid and to contact an administrator. Anyone else have problems opening the attachments? TIA. Probably just the operator :blushing::floorlaugh:

Might just be my wonky computer, but when I click the attachments it says they are invalid and to contact an administrator. Anyone else have problems opening the attachments? TIA. Probably just the operator :blushing::floorlaugh:

... same problem here

Not the operator I get the same message

Apparently you must be logged in for the links to work. That is what happened to me just now too.

Apparently you must be logged in for the links to work. That is what happened to me just now too.

I am logged in and when I click on them, I get the same message as well: "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

:dunno:

I am always logged in (I have my computer set up that way) so that can't be the issue. Darn it, I wish I could see what those attachments are!! Also, glad to know it's not the operator (ME!!) LOL :floorlaugh: :rocker:

It has to be the settings made by this site. If the attachments are invalid why did they allow them to be uploaded?

Here are the images I had to go through extra work to present.

WO7Ff.gif

rq0rI.gif

knrKE.gif

I wish I were more computer literate so I could get fancy like you but I'm not you would need to add about 10 miles to the trip to Byron if you go down by Townline Rd where she was found

... you would need to add about 10 miles to the trip to Byron if you go down by Townline Rd where she was found

The map shows that the distance from where the other map ended to the intersection of 2 and Townline Rd is less than 2 miles.

xRysw.gif

Familiar with the area. I worked on the construction of the Byron nuclear power plant.
1OZ8o.gif

You're a brave soul working there. Looks like 2 chimneys in my backyard. Before I moved to FL couple years ago. Thank u for the correction. I knew she was found south of Byron near townline rd.

So has there been any movement in this case as far as court dates/appearances? I have not heard anything on the local news but I work 3rd shift so am not always able to catch the news.

Websleuths is usually my best source of news!

So has there been any movement in this case as far as court dates/appearances? I have not heard anything on the local news but I work 3rd shift so am not always able to catch the news.

TS was back in court yesterday 01/09/13 for a status hearing he requested some of his personal belongings which were taken during the search be returned. The judge will rule on that later this month.

Also, police apparently took mapquest maps from his car & tracked his I-pass

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbisme
Back