Italian priest angers people with his comments about domestic violence

Donjeta

Adji Desir, missing from Florida
Reaction score
I don't even know what to say.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/418594/20121227/catholic-priest-piero-corsi-women-violence.htm
Widespread outrage has been sparked by an Italian priest's Christmas message in which he claimed that women triggered men's violence by wearing "filthy clothes" and serving "cold suppers".

Father Piero Corsi put up a leaflet on his church's notice board in the small seaside town of San Terenzio near La Spezia in northwestern Italy, asserting that 118 women killed by men in Italy in 2012 was caused by the victims themselves.

Well, who better to speak about such issues than a celibate priest? :rolleyes:

Stuff like this is why I left the Church.

O M G

I am just

TOS prevents me

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Yep, stupid crap like this is why I am not Catholic. I don't care for any organized religion with their lofty views on how I owe them money and I can only get to heaven by listening to them No thanks, God gave me a brain and I intend to use it, ThankYouVeryMuch!

And his punishment? He was sent on Holiday for a few days.:furious:

Wow. Sounds like he is having some kind of mental break. I hope the "vacation" is really a euphemism for a 72 hour psych eval!

Stories like this are why I am Quaker. I was raised Catholic and Baptist and never liked either.

The Catholic religion is particularly male dominated with a history of making women 2nd class citizens. The Catholic church abused nuns for centuries by taking all they had, putting them in small sparse rooms (aka cells), making them do things they did not wish to do (because it was good for them to suffer) and even expected them to whip themselves as a form of proving their devotion. That is some sick azz thinking right there.
Meanwhile priests lived in opulent accommodations, had vehicles, could boss nuns arounds, got a good pension and home (whereas nuns were relegated to an old folks home for nuns and stuffed 2 and 3 to a room). The pope wears prada shoes!!

Oh I could go on and on but this is why there aren't many nuns anymore. Women who wish to serve God are better off staying on their own and doing good according to their talents and interests, rather than selling their soul to the church and being an unrespected pawn, to be used as the church (or priests) pleases.

The beauty of the Quaker (aka "Friends") religion is that they respect the fact that we are all God's creatures and we all have the ability to have a relationship with God that does NOT require a preacher or organized religion to get us to God. Each person is respected no matter what their beliefs are, it is not our duty to judge, but rather to respect other's differences and views and perhaps learn from them. We don't believe that our beliefs are the ONLY way to believe and that all others are hell bound.

Oddly enough, there are even atheist Quakers which goes to show how tolerant and accepting Quakers are. Any person at a Quaker church meeting is free to get up and speak and share their thoughts, it isn't all dominated by a preacher lecturing you, telling you what you ought to be doing to better serve their view on what God wants you to do.

LOL I had to go look to see where this place is and it's fairly near where my father was born. That's the prevailing attitude of men outside the metropolitan areas and especially from the small towns in Italy, not just the priests.

I'm not Catholic, but I went on a Catholic pilgrimage to Medjugorje, Bosnia-Herzegovina, to do research for an oratorio I was writing. (For those who don't know it, a group of 8 or 9 children claimed to see an apparition of the Virgin Mary on a hill near the village in the early 1980s. The village now attracts millions of pilgrims every year.)

Anyway, they had a block-long line of confessional booths for those who wanted to confess and the Catholics in our group made good use of them. But one lovely young woman was chewed out royally and denied absolution by one priest. The reason? She had bleached hair. (She was also happily married. The hair had nothing to do with trying to commit the sin of fornication.)

Fortunately, we had an American priest traveling with us and he spent the night talking her down off the metaphorical ledge.

LOL I had to go look to see where this place is and it's fairly near where my father was born. That's the prevailing attitude of men outside the metropolitan areas and especially from the small towns in Italy, not just the priests.

Totally agree. A few years ago my sister and I went to Sicily. We stayed with a female friend of hers who was setting up a 'cooking tour' travel business there. While we were there, we helped her get some things set up. As we drove the 'highways' of rural Sicily we would stop for gas and a bite to eat at the fairly nice roadside cafes. All of the men (there were no women at these places) would turn their heads to stare at us, three women stopping for lunch.

Our friend told us a story about when she was taking Italian lessons in a small city. She was staying at a Best Western hotel, overlooking a river gorge in the downtown. She decided to go to the restaurant, have a light dinner and a glass of wine while she studied. Almost immediately, the female translator that worked with her business told her that there were rumours swirling around town that 'obviously' she was a prostitute.

Women are expected to stay home and cook and clean while the men went out. BTW, the female translator was a young, highly educated Russian woman from St Petersburg. She had married a local Sicilian and found herself very isolated and lonely. It was not socially acceptable to go out at night, or to go out to do things with your friends. I wonder whether she is still in Sicily. :(

So, I don't find it surprising that a rural Italian priest would say,

“The core of the problem is in the fact that women are more and more provocative, they yield to arrogance, they believe they can do everything themselves and they end up exacerbating tensions,” it said.

“How often do we see girls and even mature women walking on the streets in provocative and tight clothing?”

“Babies left to themselves, dirty houses, cold meals and fast food at home, soiled clothes. So if a family ends up in a mess and turns into crime (a form of violence which should be condemned and punished firmly) often the responsibility is shared,” it said.

http://www.lfpress.com/2012/12/27/italian-priest-sparks-outrage-over-article-blaming-women-for-domestic-violence

Of course I met many lovely people in Sicily, however I definitely could not see myself living there (or anywhere in rural southern Italy)! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit in!

Fear of female sexuality is still deeply-seated in certain cultures all over the world. And that which is a threat must be contained and suppressed.

Re Catholicism (of which I used to be), I can't help but point out that a priest is called "Father", but a nun is called "Sister".

I'm not Catholic, but I went on a Catholic pilgrimage to Medjugorje, Bosnia-Herzegovina, to do research for an oratorio I was writing. (For those who don't know it, a group of 8 or 9 children claimed to see an apparition of the Virgin Mary on a hill near the village in the early 1980s. The village now attracts millions of pilgrims every year.)

Anyway, they had a block-long line of confessional booths for those who wanted to confess and the Catholics in our group made good use of them. But one lovely young woman was chewed out royally and denied absolution by one priest. The reason? She had bleached hair. (She was also happily married. The hair had nothing to do with trying to commit the sin of fornication.)

Fortunately, we had an American priest traveling with us and he spent the night talking her down off the metaphorical ledge.

Did the priest tell her it was for the sin of fornication? Seems more likely that it was the sin of pride/vanity.

Well, who better to speak about such issues than a celibate priest? :rolleyes:

Stuff like this is why I left the Church.

My mom removed us from catechism and Sunday school herself after she had a 'meeting' with our priest, who heard she was filing for divorce. She told the priest that my Dad was having an affair with his secretary, and had rented her an apartment so they could be together at lunch and after work.

The priest blamed my mother for failing as a wife. That was the end of our Irish family claiming to be Catholic. :wink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ovocative-clothing-for-domestic-violence.html

Maria Gabriella Carnieri Moscatelli, the head of Telefono Rosa, an association that helps the victims of violence, said an apology subsequently offered by Corsi was not sufficient.

"I thank the bishop who had the paper taken down but I'm still not satisfied because I think someone needs to talk to this person and understand why he has these attitudes,"

Did the priest tell her it was for the sin of fornication? Seems more likely that it was the sin of pride/vanity.

This is all hearsay, of course, and it happened 10 years ago. But my memory is that he placed her "sin" in a specifically sexual context. I believe what he told her was that her appearance was an invitation to commit fornication/adultery and therefore she was "living in sin" in her own mind as well as tempting others.

Therefore she wasn't truly repentant as long as her hair remain colored.

Your explanation makes far more sense, theologically, but I don't think my friend was dealing with a theological genius.

Had he merely told her he thought she was too proud or vane, I think she might have accepted that as a fair subject for contemplation. The Catholics I was with were very thoughtful and open to criticism in that way.

What distressed her so was to be told by a religious authority (to her) that she was a *advertiser censored* (his word).

My mom removed us from catechism and Sunday school herself after she had a 'meeting' with our priest, who heard she was filing for divorce. She told the priest that my Dad was having an affair with his secretary, and had rented her an apartment so they could be together at lunch and after work.

The priest blamed my mother for failing as a wife. That was the end of our Irish family claiming to be Catholic. :wink:

katy a similar situation happened to me at my nephew's communion years ago. Of all topics to preach at a child's first communion, this particular priest chose divorce! Totally inappropriate! He went on to say that if anyone in the church was divorced they were banned from receiving holy communion and therefore should remain seated. Of course, I was divorced at the time. My mom a devout Catholic looked at me and she had absolute rage in her eyes. I thought she was going to get up, go to the alter and slap the priest. I told her not to let it get to her and to enjoy the rest of the ceremony. Communion comes along, I got up , held my head up high walked up to the priest and I received holy communion. My mom smiled.

After the ceremony, people were outraged and I'm guessing this priest got an earful.

And yes, I realize that is the "law" of the church. Divorce is a sin. That is not God's law. I taught my children that Jesus loves everyone. Every race, every religion, married, divorced, single, gay, adults, children. etc.

I have many more stories but I'll spare everyone. lol

Let's see: broken home, check. Estranged from established religion: check. A hippy in the late 1960s: check.

Tell the truth, katy, were you one of the Manson girls?

(This is a joke, everybody, in case it isn't clear.)

Let's see: broken home, check. Estranged from established religion: check. A hippy in the late 1960s: check.

Tell the truth, katy, were you one of the Manson girls?

(This is a joke, everybody, in case it isn't clear.)

Ha. He was way to creepy for my tastes. :eek:

I did travel around and go to Grateful Dead shows for awhile though. We were called ' Dead-Heads' and proud of it.

And hard to believe that once long ago, I was a member of the Peace and Freedom Party, yet now I am a conservative Independent. :what:

Ohhhh my church, no wonder I love to hate you so much... :banghead:

Sounds like this priest needs a schooling (and a good drink) with some nice, easygoing Jesuits.

This is why these days I get my incense and candle fix at home on Su day mornings lol. Either that or I like to sneak into a church when there is no Mass and just sit in the quiet and think, while I smell the leftover incense and watch the candles flicker.

I could always join up with the high-church, liberal Anglicans, but then the Irish side of my family would disown me. So Catholic I remain, even while boycotting both god and the church for the foreseeable future. :what:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back