712 users online (99 members and 613 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

AZ - William 'Andy' Holzgrefe, 34, Flagstaff, 11 Dec 2012

http://www.nbc12.com/story/20424839/...ing-in-arizona

Posted: Dec 26, 2012 7:49 AM EST
    Updated: Dec 27, 2012 9:57 AM EST
    Posted by Phil Newsome

Virginia man goes missing in Arizona
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 03-28-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Weather hinders search for missing Goochland man in Ariz.

http://wtvr.com/2012/12/27/search-fo...y-bad-weather/

Posted on: 10:42 pm, December 27, 2012,
    by Jon Burkett and Bill Fitzgerald,
    updated on: 11:38pm, December 27, 2012

GOOCHLAND COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) Ė William Holzgrefe planned on returning home to his momís house in Goochland long before Christmas, but he never did.

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

AZ - Andy Holzgrefe, 34, Flagstaff, 9 Dec 2012

I saw a thread in the support forum but thought I'd start one here. He has not been heard from since that phone call, even though his phone, etc., were active through Dec. 11 - the day before he was supposed to fly home from Phoenix.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Flagstaff authorities searching for missing Virginia man

He reportedly called his mother Dec. 9 from a Flagstaff motel and said he would be flying home to Virginia on a flight from Phoenix three days later

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...#ixzz2GshvCjnZ
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 03-28-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Here's more:

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Police seek clues in disappearance of Va. man

Detectives say leads have run dry in their attempts to find a 34-year-old firearms dealer from Virginia last seen in Flagstaff on Dec. 11.

<snip>

Investigators believe that Holzgrefe flew into Phoenix for a gun show on Nov. 29 and traveled to the Flagstaff area twice between the time he arrived in Arizona and the time he went missing.

He also made a trip to Las Vegas, possibly for a gun show or for business.

Holzgrefe was a licensed firearms dealer who bought and sold guns and ammunition over the Internet. His records show he had several antique guns shipped to Phoenix for the gun show, possibly for repair or appraisal, detectives stated.

Holzgrefe's mother told police that he loved the Flagstaff and Sedona areas and had traveled here during past trips to Arizona for gun shows.

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/cri...e093ad9bc.html

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

This case caught my attention for two reasons: this man is a fellow Virginian, plus we spent about a week in Flagstaff this past summer.

My hunches are:

1) met up with nefarious characters either by happenstance or b/c of his guns
    2) had auto trouble/got lost and succumbed to the elements or was in a car accident
    3) went sightseeing and fell into one of the many canyons

There are so many options it's hard to even know where to begin here. I can imagine how hard it is for LE. I'm sure they have the pings from his phone up until Dec 11, but why did it go dead then? If he was okay and just lost/hurt, he could've called. However, there are many remote areas where you cannot get reception, including the bottoms of the canyons in Sedona, which are very accessible and easy to get to, especially the Red Rocks area.

As for falling into a canyon while sightseeing, someone would likely have found his rental car by now, even if the fall itself went unnoticed.

Where are you, Andy?!? That's a vast, open area...
    Last edited by belimom; 01-03-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Police in Arizona battle weather in search for missing Goochland man

GOOCHLAND, Va. (WTVR)–Police in Arizona confirmed Wednesday night that they are working with Goochland County investigators, trying to close the gap between Manakin-Sabot and Flagstaff in the search for missing 34-year-old Andy Holzgrefe......

http://wtvr.com/2013/01/02/police-in...goochland-man/
    Last edited by belimom; 01-03-2013 at 12:27 AM.

The media refers to Andy as a gun dealer. However, he was listed as a new student of some sort at the Univ of Md School of Medicine in 2004. Considering his specialty interests mentioned below, I wonder what happened to interrupt an almost certain career path? People do it all the time so it could mean nothing at all, however.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55534169,d.b2I

Andy Holzgrefe is originally from Richmond, Virginia and graduated from the University of Virginia in 2000 with a BA in Biology and from the Virginia Commonwealth University in 2004 with a Masters degree in Public Health. His growing interest in microbiology was greatly boosted by the 1995 Ebola outbreak in Kikwit, Zaire. He has worked at the Virginia State Public Health Lab in the West Nile virus surveillance program and at the Virginia Commonwealth University in a molecular parasitology lab studying Trypanosoma cruzi and Streptococcus sanguis. His past, present and future interest is virology and its intersection with public health. When Andy is not doing schoolwork or sleeping he tends to indulge his passion for British history.

The most direct route from Flagstaff to Phoenix is I-17. However, the most scenic route is through Sedona on 89A and highly recommended. His mom said he loved the area and visited it often, so my guess is he took 89A. We had trouble with cell phone reception in many places in Sedona.

Even more beautiful is a side trip through Jerome, which would have been in the general direction of Phoenix but definitely out of the way. The view is outstanding, however.

The problem is... this is a very vast, open area and largely unpopulated in some places. Reminds me of the search for the missing couple from Canada who got lost in the back mountains Nevada: Al and Rita Chretien. Rita was found weeks later, but Al did not survive. I hope this case has a happier ending.

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    This case caught my attention for two reasons: this man is a fellow Virginian, plus we spent about a week in Flagstaff this past summer.

My hunches are:

1) met up with nefarious characters either by happenstance or b/c of his guns
    2) had auto trouble/got lost and succumbed to the elements or was in a car accident
    3) went sightseeing and fell into one of the many canyons

There are so many options it's hard to even know where to begin here. I can imagine how hard it is for LE. I'm sure they have the pings from his phone up until Dec 11, but why did it go dead then? If he was okay and just lost/hurt, he could've called. However, there are many remote areas where you cannot get reception, including the bottoms of the canyons in Sedona, which are very accessible and easy to get to, especially the Red Rocks area.

As for falling into a canyon while sightseeing, someone would likely have found his rental car by now, even if the fall itself went unnoticed.

Where are you, Andy?!? That's a vast, open area...
    My immediate thought was #1 and cartels...., but I don't want to go there....at all! Slim chance...I hope. Did they find his rental car?

Quote Originally Posted by hollyblue View Post
    My immediate thought was #1 and cartels...., but I don't want to go there....at all! Slim chance...I hope. Did they find his rental car?
    No, they haven't found his rental car yet, or at least it hasn't been posted. It is reported to be blue and therefore easier to spot against the foot or so of snow on the ground at the time he disappeared. Makes me think he either ran into trouble (with people) or went off the side of a mountain/canyon in the vehicle.

Or, made a run for it? But I'm not thinking that right now. He supposedly shipped guns back home to his mom. He was making a break, he would have either taken them with him, sold them for money, or not bought them/spent the money to begin with. JMO

So here is a rough timeline from what I could piece together:

Nov 28: flew into Phoenix for a gun show

Nov 29: gun show in Phoenix

----- travelled through Flagstaff twice, probably on the way to/from Las Vegas where they think he may have also gone for another gun show?

Dec 9: spoke with his mom via cell phone from Flagstaff

Dec 11: filled up the rental car at Giant gas in Flagstaff, then ate at the Cracker Barrel nearby (Butler Ave) (seen on video surveillance leaving alone and acting fine)

------ all cell phone and financial records end on Dec 11

Dec 12: vehicle due back/flight home from Phoenix, about 150 miles from Flagstaff <<<---- never made it/car not returned or recovered

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by belimom; 01-03-2013 at 01:29 AM.

A friend supposedly helped him pack the guns in Mesa (Phoenix area) after the gun show and he sent them back to his mom at that time. So if someone was after him b/c of the guns, then they were mistaken if they think he had them with him. I think it was an accident, sadly.

http://wtvr.com/2013/01/02/police-in...goochland-man/

Thanks for posting this, Belimom. I live in Phoenix and hadn't read or heard anything about this missing person.

There are so many possibilities in what could have happened to Andy. Hoping he is found safe soon!

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    Hoping he is found soon....and safe.

This is interesting and makes me wonder if perhaps someone wasn't following him after all. On a thread on a gun forum, someone mentions that he is an "NFA collector" and some of the forum members recall seeing him at the gun show in Phoenix. I'm guessing that means he collects guns that have been banned for new sales, such as machine guns, etc.

I also re-read one of the articles. The guns that he shipped back to his mom were probably the antique guns that he brought *to* the show. Who knows what he bought while there...?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Missing Person in Flagsaff, AZ Report#P12-23482 - Glock Talk

Andy is an NFA Collector, and was at the Dec Gun Show in Phx. Several GT Members recall seeing him there.

(snip)

He MAY have run off the road, in the bad weather, or, he may have been followed by someone that saw the weapons he had with him.

Either way, he's not be heard from.

If anybody has any leads, please call 9-1-1 and say:

"I have a lead on a Flagstaff PD Missing Person, Report Number P12-23482"

THANKS.

---------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by KateB; 04-29-2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast