1038 users online (199 members and 839 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WA - Teddi Watanabe, 51, & Brad Lynch, 50, Vancouver, 28 Dec 2012

I hope I'm wrong but this one seems a little hinky.

"Police now say there are two people unaccounted for in connection with the discovery of an unidentified woman whose body was found in the Columbia River."

http://www.kptv.com/story/20441523/t...found-in-river
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear." - N. Mandela

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Woman...185071771.html

Some interesting comments here. The one thing that really bothers me (other than a woman dead and two people missing) is why the kayak would be on the shore and she would be out in the water? I could understand falling out of the kayak if it was in the water but this makes no sense.
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear." - N. Mandela

http://www.kgw.com/news/2-unaccounte...-185175622.htm

Actually, looking at the picture with this article I can see how she could have fallen out and succumbed very quickly. That water is cold. The other articles made it sound like the kayak was just sitting on the beach but this shows it it is tied up on some kind of a dock in deeper water.

I hope they find the other two. Sad.

Yep..I was reading about this earlier today,and my "hinkometer" went off too.
    If I really thought I could...
    Id give up your ghost for good.
    But Im not so sure it isnt you..
    That keeps my ghost from leaving too.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

I sure hope the other two show up....safe. That water IS cold.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2012/d...r-case-police/

I'm a little confused but this article currently says there is only one person missing. I think the two identified are the dead woman and the owner of the car who is missing. I'm not sure there is/was a third person.

No, there are two people still missing. One owned the car, the other owned the kayak.

Government Island is here: http://binged.it/VQgYLf I've driven over it a few times; I-205 runs on top of it. It isn't elevated (http://binged.it/UxI7pY), so the only ways off the island are either via the Interstate (walking or having you picked up) or trying to swim in the Columbia River.

The woman was found on under the Glen Jackson bridge which *is* that part of I-205. So she was found close to the kayak, just a bit further down the river.

My guess is that the kayak capsized, everyone fell out and the bodies went into the Columbia. The kayak later beached on the island.

If this is the case, there is still a lot of river before it empties into the Pacific, so they may find the bodies. The only hope for survival is if they were wearing wetsuits.

I have a feeling it is just the reporting... But a great deal of info on,the woman is provided... But none on the other two... Leaves me confused...
    May this kayaker rest in peace!

Quote Originally Posted by radiator View Post
    http://www.columbian.com/news/2012/d...r-case-police/

I'm a little confused but this article currently says there is only one person missing. I think the two identified are the dead woman and the owner of the car who is missing. I'm not sure there is/was a third person.
    If you read the comments, some things are clarified.

jmo
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

Have we seen any familys missing loved ones yet?? SOMEONE has to be looking for them. KWIM.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

Not much new info yet. They havent named the deceased women or the two folks that are missing.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/...r-are-missing/

None of the three people involved have been identified and police are continuing to investigate.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

Scary :/ It's a very cold time to be kayaking I hope they were wearing vests and the proper wetsuits. It could be possible to swim to shore if the kayak flipped over and they were decent swimmers but I'm not really sure about the area they are missing from. Ah, I just got a new kayak for Christmas so this is a solemn reminder to ALWAYS wear a life vest and let others know where you plan on kayaking. I hope the others made it to shore and are safe!

I don't think there is any foul play at work....

and, please know I am not criticizing the victims here, just hopefully providing context for those who arent local...
    The water in the Columbia is very swift and very, very cold. Last year we lost a local police officer who was in excellent physical condition. He was on a boat with friends on July 4th and dove in to the water to cool off. He was almost immediately overcome by the water, and although several terrific folks did everything they could, he died. There were people who got to him quickly and got him to shore, and it still wasn't enough.

I personally kayak and I think it is too dangerous to kayak in the Columbia river, at any time of year. If someone were to do so, I think they should have wetsuits, PFD's, and a backup team with a boat and ability to call for help immediately.... And they would need to be experienced kayakers to handle the current. JMO, I know people kayak in this river frequently, I just think it' very dangerous.

I believe it is entirely possible that these folks started out intending to paddle around one of the more sheltered areas and got caught in the current. They may have been dumped out. It looks like they were wearing PFD's, so I believe they probably were responsible folks who just didn't know how dangerous the river is.

I'm going by the articles in the Columbian (and the unofficial info in the comments), and it sounds like LE may already know who these folks are, just have not released the names to the public.

I truly believe this is a tragic accident.
    A run-away may leave on purpose, but that doesn't mean that they are able to get back home.... Never stop searching.

Missing kayaker identified as Gresham man

A man whose remains were spotted Wednesday afternoon by a resident along the Vancouver coast of the Columbia River has been identified as the boyfriend of a woman also found dead in the river a week ago.
    The man has been identified as 50-year-old Bradley Lynch of Gresham, said Kim Kapp, a spokeswoman for the Vancouver Police Department
    Family members reported him missing on Friday, after Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife employees in a boat spotted the body of 51-year-old Teddi Watanabe, of Vancouver, floating under the bridge.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-coun...tified_as.html
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Body-of-miss...185578452.html

Police said there would be no criminal investigation in the case and it was considered accidental.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast