OR - At least five dead and 20 injured in tour bus crash on icy stretch of I-84

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
5 killed in Oregon tour bus crash on I-84
LA GRANDE, Ore. (AP) — A tour bus crash crashed Sunday on an icy stretch of interstate in Oregon, killing five people and injuring about 20 others, authorities said.

Police say the bus lost control around 10:30 a.m. on the snow- and ice-covered lanes of Interstate 84 in eastern Oregon. The bus crashed through a guardrail and went down an embankment a few hundred feet.

Rescue workers were using ropes to help retrieve people from the crash scene. State police said the charter bus was carrying about 40 people, but they did not say where the vehicle was traveling to or from.
---
a bit more at the link

Sad, however, not unexpected in winter. Many of these tour operators also take unnecessary risks by chartering groups in bad weather.

:(

MOO

The Associated Press ‏@AP
BREAKING: Police now say 9 people killed in bus crash along icy Oregon interstate. -RD

ETA: multiple threads now merged. thank you mods.

Rescue workers were using ropes to help retrieve people from the crash scene.

I hope they weren't using that for people who thought they might have had a spinal injury.

Survivors, emergency responders describe bus crash near Pendleton that killed nine, injured at least 36

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2012/12/survivors_emergency_responders.html

According to the 17-year-old boy at the Convention Center, many of the passengers were Korean, Japanese or Taiwanese. He did not elaborate on the purpose of the tour. The boy said those in the back of the bus fared better than those toward the front.

The 2 teens were the only ones that showed up at the emergency shelter. I wonder if they were traveling with family. They 17 year old spoke through a translator. Imagine being in a different country after an accident, and not able to speak the language. I presume that the Red Cross brought in a Korean translator for them.

As always, thank you to the emergency responders, the Red Cross and the local communities.

My thoughts are with the family and loved ones of those killed or badly injured.

'Beside me was a body part': Harrowing tales from survivors of the Oregon tour bus crash which killed nine and left 26 injured as it plunged off the road at 'Deadman Pass'.

Survivors of the deadly bus crash along an icy Oregon highway is recounting the horror of the wreck that has claimed nine lives on Sunday.

Aboard the charter bus were 48 passengers, some of them exchange students from South Korea.

One of those students was Jaemin Seo, 23, who thought that he was the sole survivor after he had been thrown out of the bus through a broken window.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-horror-killed-26-injured.html#ixzz2GhQBF1If

From above link:

The Oregonian quoted one survivor, 25-year-old Yoo Byung Woo, as saying he and some other passengers thought the driver was 'going too fast.'

'I worried about the bus,' Yoo said, adding it was snowing and foggy at the time. He said one rider was frightened and asked if they could take another route.

Yoo said rocks smashed through windows after the bus crashed through the guard rail and rolled down. The NTSB said the bus rolled at least once.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-horror-killed-26-injured.html#ixzz2GhQy4XMe

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back