639 users online (71 members and 568 guests)  

Websleuths News

PA - Mary Ann Bagenstose, 25, West Willow, 5 June 1984

Mary Ann Bagenstose, 25, Missing 5 June 1984 from West Willow, PA

Mary Ann Bagenstose
    Missing Since: June 5, 1984
    Location Last Seen: West Willow, Lancaster Co, Pennsylvania

Physical Description

Date of Birth: Unknown
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 25
    Race: White
    Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'5
    Weight at Time of Disappearance: 125-130 lbs
    Hair Color: Blonde
    Eye Color: Unknown
    Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Unknown
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: Mary Ann had a slight limp caused by a car accident when she was younger; wore a lift in one shoe.
    Dentals: Available
    Fingerprints: Unknown
    DNA: Unknown Clothing & Personal Items
    Clothing: Blue jeans, black t-shirt, brown sandals
    Jewelry: Unknown
    Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance

The morning of Tuesday, June 5, 1984 would be the last time that Mary Ann's mother would speak with her. In that last phone call, Mary Ann told her mother that her estranged husband would be picking her up to go look at a car he was considering buying for her.

Mary Ann's husband would later tell police that he did go to the West Willow Road home that morning, but that Mary Ann wasn't ready, so the husband took the couple's 2-year old son to Long Park to feed the ducks.

Upon returning to the residence, the husband said that Mary Ann was gone, but had left a note saying that she was walking to a nearby Turkey Hill Minit Market since her car wouldn't start. The clerks at the store, who knew Mary Ann well, stated that they didn't see her that day.

Police searched the fields and woods around the Bagenstose home, but found nothing. Relatives, neighbors and friends, including a boarder who was staying at the home at that time, were interviewed, but nothing substantial was learned.

A roadblock was set up to see if anyone had seen Mary Ann walking along the road that day. The garage floor at the home was dug up - but nothing was found.

Mary Ann's husband said that he'd thrown away the note he said his wife left. It was never recovered. It would be totally out of character for Mary Ann to voluntarily leave her son behind, or to leave without contacting her mother, who she used to speak to every day. Foul play is strongly suspected.

Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;

Pennsylvania State Police
    Trooper Gerry Sauers
    Phone Number: 717-299-7650

Agency Case Number: J01-308-428 Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information Source(s)
    Pennsylvania Missing
    The Doe Network: Mary Ann Bagenstose - 3091DFPA

If there really had been a note - which somehow I doubt - and the husband had thrown it away, I'd think it would still be in the trash can, easily retrievable. If they didn't find anything, that IMO says something, combined with the clerks not seeing Mary Ann that day.

Did anyone check to see if there was really anything wrong with the car?

Too bad the son was only two years old. I doubt that he would have been able to provide any useful information to investigators.

belleyes is offline LOOK I learned how to type a user title.
    I am so glad someone posted this. I have wondered for years about this case. I remember being young, riding in the car with my mom and being stopped for questioning. It really rattled me. It is a very small town. I have always wondered what her name was (I just asked my mom about this 2 days ago)
    princess - daughter of The King

We have turned in a possible match with Amethyst Doe. What do you think?

For I the Lord thy God will hold they right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. ~Is 41:13

Article written about 9 month's ago with info. on Mary Ann Bagenstose:

Who Dat Nation
    Here is the Namus link with photos.

Mary Ann Bagenstose
    Muddy water in the street
    ; Muddy water 'round my feet... as sung by the inimitable Bessie Smith, "Muddy Water (A Mississippi Moan)"