1433 users online (326 members and 1107 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Baseball-size Martian rock recovered in the Sahara

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...SNWU00L1_UNEWS

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Scientists are abuzz about a rock from Mars that landed in the Sahara desert: A yearlong analysis revealed it's quite different from other Martian meteorites.

Not only is it older than most, it also contains more water. The baseball-size meteorite, estimated to be 2 billion years old, is strikingly similar to the volcanic rocks examined by the NASA rovers Spirit and Opportunity on the Martian surface.

"Here we have a piece of Mars that I can hold in my hands. That's really exciting," said Carl Agee, director of the Institute of Meteoritics and curator at the University of New Mexico who led the study published online Thursday in the journal Science.

Scientists believe an asteroid or some other large object struck Mars, dislodging rocks and sending them into space. Occasionally, some plummet through Earth's atmosphere................more at link....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Short of sending a spacecraft or astronaut to the red planet to haul back rocks, Martian meteorites are the next best thing for scientists seeking to better understand how Earth's neighbor transformed from a tropical environment to a frigid desert.
    Mars caused the Ice Age???!!!

ETA: Oh wait, I read that wrong. Mars became the frigid desert. Oops! Still, gotta' wonder...
    Last edited by 21merc7; 01-03-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post

Mars caused the Ice Age???!!!

ETA: Oh wait, I read that wrong. Mars became the frigid desert. Oops! Still, gotta' wonder...
    I never knew that Mars had been a 'tropical environment' before either...hard to imagine that with the views from the rovers...

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Martians (rocks) have landed. Where's the Men in Black?

If I was a Martian rock landing on earth I'd pick me a nice warm beach to land on. Not the Sahara with miles of sand and no beach.

I guess we are lucky it didn't pick the middle of the ocean to land in.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

Maybe the Martians are challenging us to a series?

One would think they'd be more concerned about that whole "Miss Universe" claim.