MN MN - Corrine Erstad, 5, Inver Grove Heights, 1 June 1992

CCD

Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
This case has been one that's bothered me for ages. Maybe it's because I babysit a girl that looks just like her, with the exception of blonde hair. She is also the same age as Corrine was when she disappeared. It's a bummer that DNA testing was not admissible in court, or else we could have had this jerk, Robert Guevara, behind bars for awhile now, but he was aquitted, even though they found the dress that Corrine was last seen wearing, and a pair of girl underwear in his locker. I have a question, since he was aquitted of murder, we can't try him again, right? Is this where the double jeopardy rule kicks in?

This was such a sad sad case I remember her and the case like it was yesterday.

If they tried him for murder and found him not quilty could they then try him on a lesser charge like say man-slaughter???? I just curious if anyone knows

I live in MN and remember the case well. I just don't see how, considering the Scott Peterson trial, a jury could have failed to convict him - even without her body. I'd love to have an update on where the culprit is hiding now and what he's been doing for the last couple of years. Maybe he's become the poor man's O.J.

I think the case is done. It is my understanding that he cannot be tried again.

Ergh, the fact double jeopardy is implied sucks so much. I got an email when the LeeAnna Warner case was still hot, and the person was investigating a link between Corrine's case and the Warner case. Both girls share similar physical traits, were the same age and from the same state(MN). Any thoughts on this?
Also, I remember watching a tv show on the Melissa Brannen abduction, and they tried the suspect and convicted him of 'kidnapping with intent to defy of her". I wonder if they could try Guevara with that, since the murder avenue has been eliminated.

They could not try him again for manslaughter, or any "causing her death" crime, I don't believe. They MIGHT be able to try him for kidnapping. The thing is, when he was tried for murdering Corrinne he was probably tried for kidnapping her as well -- it stands to reason. And he was acquitted on all charges then.

Ergh, this is so frusterating. There's gotta be a loophole somewhere.
BTW, Meaghan - love the website, I check the updates daily!

Thanks for the compliments. I don't think there is a loophole, though -- the double jeopardy rule is pretty tight. As it should be. I mean, it stinks in this instance, but without that rule you could try someone over and over again until a jury decided to convict them. I think in England it's a little different -- under certain circumstances, like if the cops find new evidence or something, you can be tried again. I'm not sure, though. I know that acquittals can be appealed in some countries, South Korea being one. But not there.

Remembering Corrine, on this, her 18th birthday.
May she be found and her family get's closure, in some form or another

Her family will never have closure, but it would be nice for them to have answers.

The jury in my opinion was incompetent, but the thought of the times, as I recall, was that it was not possible to prove death without a body - Minnesota nice, I guess. (Thank goodness SP was in CA.)

The culprit should only have been charged with kidnapping. The murder charge could have been added if they body were found.

Although they're the same age, etc., I don't really think there is a connection between Warner and Erstad. Guevara wasn't in Hibbing.

Just posting on a lead, I don't really see a connection either.
Yeah, it does make sense that they tried murder on such a lack of evidence, but they had to have enough to prove a case. It's so disheartening that Corrine's possible killer can be set free.
Another thing that bothers me a bit is that she's being featured on memorial pages already, even though there is no body. No matter who it is (I see Jillian Cutshall in this situation too) it bothers me, perhaps we are burying them before there time.

bumping
I look at your picture everyday sweetheart. Although I don't know you, I'm always praying.

and yet again I bump....
I hope your family is still looking, and that they find you and give you the memorial you deserve. I hope you'll be home someday. I hope some justice can be given to you.

I was under the impression that a person could theoretically be tried twice- by the state and the federal government. at least that is what I was told once.

bumping for you, Corrine
you are the one I will never stop searching for, in my own twisted way

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk