Indian Child Welfare Scandal Unfolds in South Dakota

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
FINALLY this is coming to light. There is a reason for ICWA, Indian Child Welfare Act.

The state's response to the Native children's accusations offers a rare look into South Dakota's foster care system. The state's actions also raise questions about the commitment of officials to protect Native children taken from their natural families, particularly when homes that are presented as safe havens turn into places of abuse.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephanie-woodard/south-dakota-indian-child_b_2395110.html

There is a video at the link, it is disturbing. I have been in the room, at a hospital in Pierre, where children are to be interviewed when there is a question of a sexual crime and there are fantastic people working with the children there. THIS is not true in this case; this is state employees practicing CYA; I hope all of those involved in this abuse see the inside of a jail.

Children are supposed to be able to trust those charged to protect them; they are not supposed to be further abused by authority figures! IMHO

The DCI video of the interrogation is now a court document. In a four-minute excerpt that can be seen on YouTube, the agents are taking a break. They’re off-camera, apparently unaware that the microphone is still picking up their voices as they plan their strategy.

One agent says the children “have been f—ing with us.” The men talk about questioning the therapist to whom the children described the sexual assaults. Agent Black says, “I guarantee we put [her] in here. Put the f—ing hot screws in her. ***** you’re in f—ing deep ****. You better start talking.” Later Black says, “At least we f— with Brandon.”

http://100r.org/2012/12/rough-justice-in-indian-child-welfare/#more-8122

This has been going on for a long time, with every race you can think of. I can't count how many times the AFDC and other government agencies have been called under investigation. This is what happens when you start cutting programs. There are just not enough investigators to accommodate all the needy children.

This is a big business in South Dakota.

The state receives thousands of dollars from the federal government for every child it takes from a family, and in some cases the state gets even more money if the child is Native American. The result is that South Dakota is now removing children at a rate higher than the vast majority of other states in the country. …

Critics say foster care in South Dakota has become a powerhouse for private group home providers who bring in millions of dollars in state contracts to care for kids. Among them is Children’s Home Society, the state’s largest foster care provider, which has close ties with top government officials. It used to be run by South Dakota’s Gov. Dennis Daugard. An NPR investigation has found that Daugard was on the group’s payroll while he was lieutenant governor — and while the group received tens of millions of dollars in no-bid state contracts. It’s an unusual relationship highlighting the powerful role money and politics play in South Dakota’s foster care system.

http://colorlines.com/archives/2011..._native_american_children_in_foster_care.html

This has been going on for a long time, with every race you can think of. I can't count how many times the AFDC and other government agencies have been called under investigation. This is what happens when you start cutting programs. There are just not enough investigators to accommodate all the needy children.

It's a shame it is not the government agencies on trial here instead of the 2 whistle blowers. I hope something more comes of this.

http://articles.aberdeennews.com/2013-01-07/news/36199737_1_jury-selection-schwab-taliaferro-perjury
Jury selection under way in Schwab-Taliaferro trial:furious:

The state receives thousands of dollars from the federal government for every child it takes from a family, and in some cases the state gets even more money if the child is Native American.

Over here, slightly to the east, there a lot more Indian children in foster care, but that's because there is just so much alcohol and drug abuse leading to child neglect going on on the reservation.

It's a shame it is not the government agencies on trial here instead of the 2 whistle blowers. I hope something more comes of this.

http://articles.aberdeennews.com/2013-01-07/news/36199737_1_jury-selection-schwab-taliaferro-perjury
Jury selection under way in Schwab-Taliaferro trial:furious:

I doubt if anything will become of it when you are dealing with Sovereign Immunity that both the government and the Native Americans have it makes it hard to get anywhere. I just hope those kids get into a good home now. There are a lot of good foster parents out there, just not enough.

I doubt if anything will become of it when you are dealing with Sovereign Immunity that both the government and the Native Americans have it makes it hard to get anywhere. I just hope those kids get into a good home now. There are a lot of good foster parents out there, just not enough.

Fortunately, something has 'become of it'. The tiospaye will always endure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back