EG - 8,000,000 mummies found at Anubis cult's dog catacomb in Saqqara necropolis

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Eight million dog mummies found in Saqqara (ahram.org.eg)
During routine excavations at the dog catacomb in Saqqara necropolis, an excavation team led by Salima Ikram, professor of Egyptology at The American University in Cairo (AUC), and an international team of researchers led by Paul Nicholson of Cardiff University have uncovered almost 8 million animal mummies at the burial site.

Studies on their bones revealed that those dogs are from different breeds but not accurately identified yet.
---
Studies on the mummies, Ikram explains, revealed that some of them were old while the majority were buried hours after their birth. She said that the mummified animals were not limited to canines but there are cat and mongoose remains in the deposit.

“We are trying to understand how this fits religiously with the cult of Anubis, to whom the catacomb is dedicated,” she added.

Ikram also told National Geographic, which is financing the project, that “in some churches people light a candle, and their prayer is taken directly up to God in that smoke. In the same way, a mummified dog's spirit would carry a person's prayer to the afterlife”.
---
much more at the link

An article about preliminary findings last year in Daily Mail; lots of pictures:

Catacomb of secret tunnels packed with mummified remains of EIGHT MILLION dogs is excavated in Egypt

I love stuff like this, been absolutely fascinated by egyptian history since I was about 10. Wish I could afford to take a trip.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Ohhh how very interesting!!! That's alot of doggie bones, and yes, Kimster, good thought on the training ground!! Wow....makes me so curious...

Eight million dog mummies found in Saqqara (ahram.org.eg)

much more at the link

An article about preliminary findings last year in Daily Mail; lots of pictures:

Catacomb of secret tunnels packed with mummified remains of EIGHT MILLION dogs is excavated in Egypt

Thanks wfgodot, from the link you posted.

“The animal bones themselves have been sampled and preliminary results suggest that as well as actual dogs there may be other canids present.

bbm

http://animals.about.com/od/carnivores/p/canidae.htm

The Family Canidae contains the following subgroups:

Genus: Atelocynus (short-eared dog)
Genus: Canis (dogs, wolves, jackal)
Genus: Cerdocyon (crab-eating fox)
Genus: Chrysocyon (maned wolf)
Genus: Cuon (dhole)
Genus: Dusicyon (Falkland Island wolf)
Genus: Lycaon (African wild dog)
Genus: Nyctereutes (raccoon dog)
Genus: Otocyon (bat-eared fox)
Genus: Pseudalopex (South American foxes)
Genus: Speothos (bush dog)
Genus: Urocyon (gray foxes)
Genus: Vulpes (foxes)

Canids belong to the Order Carnivora.

I do wonder who counted the 8 million animals at that site,that happen to all be meat eaters.

This is the statue at the Vatican.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/VaticanMuseums_Egyptian_God_Statue.jpg

It doesn't look like a mask to me though. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back