1185 users online (213 members and 972 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rossva View Post
    This is just an example of the fox looking after the hen house.
    I think the "fox" was voted out of office. lol Just as everyone else does, JA took directions from his boss. I would imagine if there were any orders to OCSC it would have come from the highest level. The fact JA is ordering an investigation tells us that he probably has no problems sleeping at night over this. jmo

Quote Originally Posted by LambChop View Post
    I think the "fox" was voted out of office. lol Just as everyone else does, JA took directions from his boss. I would imagine if there were any orders to OCSC it would have come from the highest level. The fact JA is ordering an investigation tells us that he probably has no problems sleeping at night over this. jmo
    As a native of the area and a former OC taxpayer, I say YES!, the fox was most definitely voted out and JA is doing what he can to make sure this never happens again!

I have FINALLY read Jeff Ashton's book. Better late than never.

Obviously the book was written before the info came out in Baez's later book about the computer searches the prosecution's "computer experts" never found.

I found Ashton's story to be good, but a bit myopic at times. It is obvious the prosecution "team" were certainly not all on the same page at the same time. But I don't work in Law Enforcement or Criminal Prosecution, so perhaps this is just the way it is. Or was.

In regard to the missed computer searches, this issue absolutely bears looking into. Perhaps an investigation will lead to funding for payment of up-to-date independent computer experts on important cases. Rather than relying on non-college graduate "computer experts" who got the job because they expressed an "interest in computers". Oh, and no one else wanted the job. And no one else knew much at all about computers. Except her boss. Who must have been very, very busy with other things. Or else totally non-curious.

In any case, Mr. Ashton's very measured recounting of "how things really went down" included a few very insightful revelations. Remember the heart-shaped outline reported to be seen by a Crime Tech (and her supervisor whom she called in to look at it) on the duct tape that covered Caylee's nose and mouth? Two or three very succint sentences Ashton explains the Tech's failure to photograph this with: 1.) The tech was new on the job 2.) There was no protocol in place requiring a photograph of non-fingerprint evidence.

Now, I ask you, if your job is to photograph things and you have a camera - likely on a tripod - all set up, and you see what appears to be the outline of a heart on duct tape that was covering the nose and mouth of a skelontized child, you mean to tell me you would NOT take a photograph of that?

And you would call your boss in to look at this and your boss would not direct you to photograph it?

Some of this stuff is beyone belief!

One point Ashton made that I do agree with. Baez won an acquittal in this case despite his own stupidity. Baez lucked out by happening upon one of the world's dumbest, I-want-out-of-here, I want-to-go-home-now juries. Examination of evidence? What's that? Look at exhibits? Nah, not us. Ask a questiom? Nope, not this jury.

The jury, according to Ashton, ordered up several children's videos during the course of the trial, even after having pre-sequestration selected some 200 videos to watch. Post-trial 3 jurors spoke, two of them anonymously. No "We The Jury" books here.

I wish Mr. Ashton the best in effecting change within the systen.

Oh, and I was a bit surprised to learn he was on his third wife and third set of small children at the time of the trial. Don't know why, I just was.

Its encumbent on Jeff Ashton to investigate what happened here. He's the head man now. This was no minor oversight. This was a clear case of one or more computer forensic analysts being out of their depth and the absence of any protocall employed by Orange County Sheriff's department to catch any incompetence. And lets be honest it wasn't the first time. Remember the 84 searches which turned out to be one. That incident alone imo should have prompted Orange County SD to look at their computer forensic resources and practices.

Back in the day people were very reluctant to criticize the OCSD investigation but it wasnt a perfect investigation. Roy Kronk's first three phone calls are testimony to that. OCSD and the DA's office should welcome this investigation, take their medicine, then assure the public lessons have been learned and outline what steps they have taken to ensure this doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by krisskross; 01-19-2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    "I need someone that'll take the information that I'm giving them" Casey Anthony July 25th 2008

mikeysmommom is offline "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty...."
    Quote Originally Posted by logicalgirl View Post
    It was interesting to read the article and see that he isn't necessarily doing this because he has an axe to grind. I'm sure it's important if he is the States Attorney, to know that he can rely on the OCSD to do a more thorough job on computer forensics than they obviously did on the Caylee Anthony case.

The Florida taxpayers pay a huge bill to prosecute someone like FCA and I can understand he needs to be sure huge blocks of information aren't being missed for whatever reason, particularly when they are case breaking blocks like the "foolproof suffocation" search was.

Good for you Jeff!!!
    I agree, It is not an axe to grind but to insure mistakes like these do not happen again.
    Last edited by mikeysmommom; 01-19-2013 at 05:48 AM.
    I Love You MOM 6/16/32 - 5/30/09

Justice for Travis 5/8/13

Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to Life - Sentenced 6/17/11

Justice Denied for Caylee Marie Anthony
    July 5,2011

mikeysmommom is offline "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty...."
    Quote Originally Posted by krisskross View Post
    Its encumbent on Jeff Ashton to investigate what happened here. He's the head man now. This was no minor oversight. This was a clear case of one or more computer forensic analysts being out of their depth and the absence of any protocall employed by Orange County Sheriff's department to catch any incompetence. And lets be honest it wasn't the first time. Remember the 84 searches which turned out to be one. That incident alone imo should have prompted Orange County SD to look at their computer forensic resources and practices.

Back in the day people were very reluctant to criticize the OCSD investigation but it wasnt a perfect investigation. Roy Kronk's first three phone calls are testimony to that. OCSD and the DA's office should welcome this investigation, take their medicine, then assure the public lessons have been learned and outline what steps they have taken to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I do agree we were very happy with OCSD except the Kronk part that was horrible and also why they did not search the woods right away if they had Caylee would have been found so much sooner.Who would have thought the were so incompetent with the computer!That was a big part of this case and should have had a top man or men on it. I still think it would not have helped get justice for Caylee ,not with that jury.But It will be investigated and fixed so it can not happen again which helps future cases and needs to be addressed.

Justice For Emma

July 5,2011

I wonder if he would have ran for the job if Caylee had gotten Justice.He still would have been able to write a book ,do the movie and retire with the money. I suspect he might not have had they convicted FCA.He knew he and his team worked very hard,but the system failed and it failed big time.To a defense team that seemed more like watching the 3 stooges then to be watching Lawyers in a Court room IMO.To someone who loves what they do,put their heart into fighting for justice,then to hear not guilty,not even of the lesser charges except lying must have floored him it sure floored us.So maybe that was part of Caylees purpose ,why she was here for such a brief speck of time.Mr.Ashton is right where he needs to be and I deeply believe it is because of FCA's verdict.He realized changes need to be made and he is the man to do it. All JMO.

Justice For Emma

July 5,2011

Quote Originally Posted by mikeysmommom View Post
    I do agree we were very happy with OCSD except the Kronk part that was horrible and also why they did not search the woods right away if they had Caylee would have been found so much sooner.Who would have thought the were so incompetent with the computer!That was a big part of this case and should have had a top man or men on it. I still think it would not have helped get justice for Caylee ,not with that jury.But It will be investigated and fixed so it can not happen again which helps future cases and needs to be addressed.
    Agreed. And I know hindsight makes us all wiser. I'm still stunned by the verdict and despite their post verdict hubris I'm sure Baez and Mason were equally stunned. But I do believe knowing what we know now the rose tinted glasses need to come off where the investigation was concerned. Otherwise no lessons will be learned. Was that lap top ever properly forensically examined?
    "I need someone that'll take the information that I'm giving them" Casey Anthony July 25th 2008

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dizzychick View Post
    Here is another aspect to the puter age. The technology was changing so fast companies including the courts couldnt get a trained developer/analyst before the programs changed. Every 18 months the technology was changing so fast the colleges couldnt keep up. By the time they graduated a 4 year analyst the programs changed 4 or more times. This made it hard to get good people that knew the system and how to re coup data. it is still an issue.
    I hear ya but that doesnt seem to be what happened here. Long long before trial we knew Casey Anthony was on the computer than morning at 7.56am chatting on her AIM account to Witeplayboi. We also knew she uploaded a pic of Fusian to her photobucket account and that she was looking at shot girl outfits. So if the analyst was able to extract and read this data why did she not continue to look at the whole 24 hour period. This was the last day Caylee was seen alive. It was pivotal to the Prosecution's theory that Caylee was murdered on June 16th. For a computer forensic analyst to claim she was not asked to search for "fool-proof suffocation" and that this somehow explains this enormous gaff.........beggars belief. And again I ask what about the lap top that she was clearly using during the 31 days. Seems to me that the focus was totally on the chloroform searches.......that ultimately they also got wrong and they could never link Casey Anthony to either making or purchasing chloroform.

Quote Originally Posted by wonders View Post
    This isn't nice so please scroll on by if you don't like it as it's my opinion only.
    Another waste of Florida tax funds and time on FCA. It wouldn't have mattered in the first place if it had been found because Ashton was way to focused on the chloroform stuff when he should have used the tech timeline stuff instead.
    I do agree that the prosecution was way too focused on the chloroform and had no real tech timeline backing up the assertions that CA was responsible. I disagree that it would not have mattered.

I believe had the pros had the tech timeline info, their case would have focused more on that evidence, which would have been MUCH easier for the jury to follow IMO than the sniff tests etc that ate up way too much of the case and which I feel the jury saw as "junk" science.

It is my belief that the pros would have presented a much different case had they had the tech info going in. Their case would have been built very differently IMO.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Quote Originally Posted by krisskross View Post
    I hear ya but that doesnt seem to be what happened here. Long long before trial we knew Casey Anthony was on the computer than morning at 7.56am chatting on her AIM account to Witeplayboi. We also knew she uploaded a pic of Fusian to her photobucket account and that she was looking at shot girl outfits. So if the analyst was able to extract and read this data why did she not continue to look at the whole 24 hour period. This was the last day Caylee was seen alive. It was pivotal to the Prosecution's theory that Caylee was murdered on June 16th. For a computer forensic analyst to claim she was not asked to search for "fool-proof suffocation" and that this somehow explains this enormous gaff.........beggars belief. And again I ask what about the lap top that she was clearly using during the 31 days. Seems to me that the focus was totally on the chloroform searches.......that ultimately they also got wrong and they could never link Casey Anthony to either making or purchasing chloroform.
    I question whether or not it worked the other way around - there wasn't anything "signifigant" according to the computer experts so they went after what other circumstantial evidence they had. The values found in the trunk of the car for chloroform were overwhelming - so I understand the SA chasing that one when they didn't know about other computer searches.
    When there is Justice - there is Peace.

K...whats with all the bumps? Is there some news?

No Pattimarie. Some of the members following the Arias case in AZ were curious to read about the sleuthing AZ & JWG did regarding the computer forensics.

Quote Originally Posted by beach View Post
    No Pattimarie. Some of the members following the Arias case in AZ were curious to read about the sleuthing AZ & JWG did regarding the computer forensics.
    We had almost 2,000 viewers one day, and crashed!
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast