Leukemia patient seeks identity of matched donor through facebook

momtective

Lifetime WS Non-Mod
Reaction score
A Richmond man suffering from leukemia is hoping Facebook can help unite him with the one man who could save his life.

Paul Zamecnik got some great news when he found a stem cell donor who could help cure his disease. But now the donor has vanished and he needs your help to track him down.

All he knows is that this donor is a 25-year-old man who lives in the U.S. That's not terribly specific and finding him would be a real long shot. Then again, just being matched with a donor was a one in 10 million shot to begin with.

Zamecnik is now working Facebook hoping his plea will find the right set of eyes that could save his life.

http://www.ksla.com/story/20497934/...book-will-save-his-life#.UOd8fEFzevQ.facebook

Read Paul's plea here https://www.facebook.com/NBC12News/posts/541793775831728

I hope that he finds the donor! If he decided to skip the blood matching appointment, maybe he chickened out or got ill?? I am registered at Be A Match National Marrow Donor Program. I have oftentimes forgotten to update my contact information, after I have moved, changed numbers. I get e-mails from time to time to update, however it is easy to forget. Hopefully his pleas work, if not, maybe some other members here will consider registering! It was easy and only took about 15 minutes of my time.

http://marrow.org/Home.aspx

I know this is probably going to upset a lot of people that read my post so let me preface it by saying that I am a registered bone marrow donor and have been for over 10 years. I was called once but prior to the donation procedure I was notified that I was no longer needed. (I am going with the thoughts that the patient recovered unexpectedly and not the alternative, that helps me sleep better at night).

I do feel for this man and I hope that he can find another match quickly. I wish him recovery and health and a long joyful life.

As for the donor that backed out. That was his right to do so. He may have had reasons that would make sense if they were known. However, I think that his privacy must be protected at all costs. If this patient is capable of ferreting out who this young man is then it *may* make others not want to put their name on a national list.

FWIW, when I was contacted to donate I was asked if I wanted to disclose my name and personal information to the patient and vice versa. I declined. I wanted my donation to be completely anonymous. But that is my way of thinking. For me I wanted it to be an act of anonymous kindness.

This young man has a right to decline IMHO. He has a right to have a change of heart. Even if I can't understand how doing so could endanger the chances of survival for another human being---he does have that right.

I do hope this ill man finds someone (perhaps a new donor from people who read his story and donate and are a match) that will help him with his cure. But IMHO at this time this is inappropriate to try to track down a donor that doesn't want to donate to try to change his mind. I can't imagine what the outcome would be for this young man if his name is revealed to the general public.

Prayers for Paul and his family and deepest wishes for his recovery.

When you need help you're going to do everything in your power to get help. This will probably be the wave of the future.

We don't know that he backed out. It could have been anything from an accident to a death. I think this mans intentions are to get the word out to him and any other potential matches that will be tested on his behalf , not to ferret out anyone's information.

I posted to my FB and asked everyone to share.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back