7.5-magnitude earthquake strikes off coast of Alaska; small tsunami observed

A tsunami warning has been issued for the north and central coast of British Columbia and southern Alaska after an earthquake struck off southeastern Alaska.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake had a preliminary reading of 7.5 and struck at 12:50 a.m. local time, about 102 kilometres west of Craig, Alaska and some 300 kilometres west-northwest of Prince Rupert, B.C.

The Alaska Tsunami Warning Center said a tsunami with a "significant widespread inundation of land is expected."

A few hours after the quake was reported, CBC meteorologist Joanna Wagstaffe said a small tsunami was generated, as well as at least two aftershocks measuring 4.6 and 4.7.

B.C.'s emergency notification centre said it's believed the wave may impact low-lying coastal areas in northern and central areas.

Local governments in the warning zones are urged to activate their emergency plans and immediately begin evacuations in areas at risk of tsunami activity.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/01/05/earthquake-tsunami-warning.html

li-earthquake-west-coast-620-google.jpg

ok I think this explains the difference between advisory and warning:

The following warning was issued to those in areas that could be affected by high waves resulting from the earthquake:

Recommended Actions: If you are in a warning area - move inland to higher ground. If you are in an advisory area - move off the beach and out of harbors and marinas. Widespread inundation of land is not expected for advisory areas. Be alert to instructions from your local emergency officials. Do not go to the coast to observe the tsunami. Do not return to the coast until local emergency officials indicate it is safe to do so. ... The tsunami message will remain in effect until further notice. Refer to the internet site wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov for more information.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/artic...utheast-triggers-tsunami-warning-alaska-coast

• - Cancellation The tsunami Warning is canceled for the coastal areas of British Columbia and Alaska from the north tip of Vancouver Island, British Columbia to Cape Fairweather, Alaska (80 miles SE of Yakutat). Issued at: January-05-13 5:58:23 AM

http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/

Good News!

thanks nt.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I feel like we're being circled by sharks.
What I mean is, we keep hearing about 'quakes all the time around us and we've been extremely quiet since the 7.1 'quake in 1989. I mean hardly a move.

So I keep thinking "okay were next, okay were next". It makes me feel like a " Big One" is stalking us. I know I sound goofy as can be, but it's kind of like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Same here, montana! I live in Berkeley, CA - I've been feeling those same vibes, for sure.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I feel like we're being circled by sharks.
What I mean is, we keep hearing about 'quakes all the time around us and we've been extremely quiet since the 7.1 'quake in 1989. I mean hardly a move.

So I keep thinking "okay were next, okay were next". It makes me feel like a " Big One" is stalking us. I know I sound goofy as can be, but it's kind of like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Yup, me too. Down toward Los Angeles, but still...getting the same feeling that we're being stalked. Great way to put it, btw.

The only thing we can do, though, is go over our preparedness, and make sure everything is up to date and current, and then go on about our lives.

N/T, thanks for this thread...

Best-
Herding Cats

ClickOnDetroit.com National Breaking News

==============================
National Breaking News
==============================

8.0 quake prompts tsunami warning for coastal Alaska

A tsunami warning has been issued for coastal Alaska following a 8.0-magnitude earthquake located about 15 miles from Little Sitkin Island, Alaska.

Quake prompts tsunami warning in Alaska

Officials say quake expected to produce 'modest' tsunami

A tsunami warning has been issued for coastal Alaska following a 8.0-magnitude earthquake located about 15 miles from Little Sitkin Island, Alaska.

The quake had a depth of 71 miles, and was expected to produce a "modest" tsunami, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

The town of Adak, Alaska, was evacuating all 150 residents to a tsunami shelter...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/urgent-alaska-earthquake/26626334

Tsunami warning issued after 8.0 earthquake near Alaska

By Steve Almasy, CNN

updated 6:14 PM EDT, Mon June 23, 2014

(CNN) -- A tsunami warning has been issued for coastal Alaska following a magnitude 8.0 earthquake located about 15 miles from Little Sitkin Island, Alaska.

The quake had a depth of 71 miles and was expected to produce a "modest" tsunami, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/23/us/alaska-earthquake/index.html

Is this a second quake ? Freaky

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee