Inmates Sue Beer, Wine Cos. for $1B

Reader

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/idaho-inmates-sue-beer-wine-companies-1b-190211526--abc-news-topstories.html

Five Idaho inmates are blaming alcohol for the crimes that put them in prison and are suing some of the nation's top liquor and wine companies for $1 billion.

Keith Allen Brown, Steven Thompson, Woodrow Grant, Cory Baugh and Jeremy Brown all claim that alcohol led them to their crimes and they should have been warned of the beverages' addictive nature.

"If I was not an alcoholic, the shooting would never have happened," Jeremy Brown said in his affidavit. Brown, 34, is serving a 20- to 30-year sentence for a 2001 shooting that seriously injured a man.

The plaintiffs' crimes range from manslaughter to grand theft. They are currently serving time at Idaho's Kuna facility.

More at link......

http://news.yahoo.com/idaho-inmates-sue-beer-wine-companies-1b-190211526--abc-news-topstories.html

Five Idaho inmates are blaming alcohol for the crimes that put them in prison and are suing some of the nation's top liquor and wine companies for $1 billion.

Keith Allen Brown, Steven Thompson, Woodrow Grant, Cory Baugh and Jeremy Brown all claim that alcohol led them to their crimes and they should have been warned of the beverages' addictive nature.

"If I was not an alcoholic, the shooting would never have happened," Jeremy Brown said in his affidavit. Brown, 34, is serving a 20- to 30-year sentence for a 2001 shooting that seriously injured a man.

The plaintiffs' crimes range from manslaughter to grand theft. They are currently serving time at Idaho's Kuna facility.

More at link......

You know... I really do not disagree with this. 40% of all violent crimes are commited by someone under the influence of alcohol. You also can't blame them since the lawsuits against Tobacco companies were allowed to get so out of hand. I personally do not agree with suing a company based on the personal choices you make in life, but I must say, I am surprised it took so long for someone to file suit against major Alcohol manufacturers. Now, it's only a matter of time before those who suffer from alcohol related illnesses and diseases follow suit. If Tobacco companies can be held responsible, so can Alcohol companies.

They've created a monster allowing these suits against the Tobacco companies to go forward. It should have never been allowed and dismissed immediately.

This is from someone who comes from a long line of smokers and alcoholics.

ETA: Just to make it clear... I do agree that alcohol does make people more violent. I do not agree with the lawsuits against the companies. I believe in personal responsibility.

I think that lawsuit should also be a crime and give them another 15 years so they don't waste anymore taxpayer's money for their stupidity.

I saw this one a few days ago and had to laugh. These men knew that when they drank they became jerks and did things they would not normally do. Every drinker knows that, every drinker makes that choice from early on in the drinking process, not just after becoming an alcoholic.

I have no idea if they could win anything, I doubt it. It is odd it has not happened before, since there are a plethora of frivolous law suits, large and small, filed every day. I have to wonder about any attorneys filing it for them though. Alcoholism is not an excuse in criminal court for your actions, will it be in civil court? Ie. I was drunk so I murdered my wife doesn't excuse you from murder charges.

And, I agree with Dewey, this is costing taxpayers dollars as inmates do not pay for these services, we pay when the attorneys submit state vouchers.

I laughed too but you know something if alchoholism is considered a mental illness and there is a potential that it will be included as a defense just like some prescription drug cases, I am very concerned that it will now become a precedent in some court cases. Some juries may fall for it.

My :twocents:

I might have more sympathy for older ( much older) men, but the two whose ages they list are 34 and 27. Did they not attend school? Because I am 43 and know I had multiple classes through the years where we learned about alcohol and drugs. Can they not read? How long have the warning labels been on alcohol?

Just because someone is willfully ignorant of basic common knowledge doesn't mean someone else is responsible. It's not the same as when tobacco companies hid research that showed cigarettes were dangerous and addictive, and actually added more of the addictive ingredients!

What a bunch of losers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might have more sympathy for older ( much older) men, but the two whose ages they list are 34 and 27. Did they not attend school? Because I am 43 and know I had multiple classes through the years where we learned about alcohol and drugs. Can they not read? How long have the warning labels been on alcohol?

Just because someone is willfully ignorant of basic common knowledge doesn't mean someone else is responsible. It's not the same as when tobacco companies hid research that showed cigarettes were dangerous and addictive, and actually added more of the addictive ingredients!

What a bunch of losers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have warning labels on alcohol? I didn't know that.

I laughed too but you know something if alchoholism is considered a mental illness and there is a potential that it will be included as a defense just like some prescription drug cases, I am very concerned that it will now become a precedent in some court cases. Some juries may fall for it.

My :twocents:

I was wondering why thy didn't bring this up as a defense. Now it just seems like an after thought. They do have programs for alcohol treatment. If they had a problem with alcohol they should have sought help before they committed the crimes.

I was wondering why thy didn't bring this up as a defense. Now it just seems like an after thought. They do have programs for alcohol treatment. If they had a problem with alcohol they should have sought help before they committed the crimes.

Good point since drug use is often brought up by the defense as a mitigating circumstance.

They have warning labels on alcohol? I didn't know that.

Yes, although they don't specifically mention addiction. HERE is a list by country.

I still think you'd have to be living under a rock not to have heard of alcoholism.

My 12 yo has been getting drug and alcohol education in school since kindergarten!

images

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back