After 20 years, teacher gets a thank you to remember

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/education/fl-former-student-thanks-teacher-20130104,0,7272236.story

Kevin Dorival, 32, sat before his fifth grade teacher on Friday and handed her one final writing assignment – his first published book – and the biggest thank you a teacher could ask for.

It was the first time in more than 20 years that Sonji Wyche saw her student since he graduated from Park Ridge Elementary School in Deerfield Beach in 1992. But he said her lessons still inspire him, and he thanks her for that in his autobiography, "The Courage to Believe.".............

"I felt like I owed her so much. I was a young kid who had a speech impediment and despite my background, she believed in me," Dorival said.

An average student through middle and high school, he went to jail at 21 for attempted burglary and drug possession. During the eight months he spent behind bars, he said Wyche's lessons really started to make sense to him.

"She was teaching us to take our minds out of our current environment and into somewhere greater … As an adult, it clicked on me what she was trying to do and I realized this wasn't the way I wanted to live.".................

"She wasn't teaching for the paycheck, she was teaching to make sure we grew up responsible," he said.

More at link with video.....

Yes, teachers, even the best, do "teach for the paycheck." They'd be beggars in rags if they did not. This sort of article, though delightful, harms if compliments twenty years later can be quantified into paying teachers little now.

Even though I am still a legally registered nurse, I left the practicing field because, for me, the pay was not enough to cover the work load, responsibility, and horror we had to put up with from taking care of the general public. For me, the non-paying job at home nurturing and caring for my own children is more profitable at the moment. However, for my coworkers left behind, I can easily put them in two categories, those who absolutely need the paycheck, and those who continue to clock in, despite the negatives, to selflessly care for those who need it. Some coworkers might fall in both categories. I can't speak for teachers, but my experiences in nursing tell me that those that are still practicing do so because of a higher calling, not to get rich.

The public is getting harder and harder to deal with, and it greatly saddens me.

ETA: I compare this article to how I feel when I receive photos of an infant I used to take care of, or run into a child in public, and the mother brags about his/her accomplishments and achievements in life, as I know that my coworkers and I were a huge part of sustaining life for that 25 weeker.

It's not a matter of "getting rich." I was one of those selfless teachers. One wants to be compensated for the important role one serves in society. One does not want to be told that selflessness is somehow its own reward. I've sat as president of my local at bargaining sessions with the board, and heard that enough to be well sick of it.

Oh yeah.... I completely agree. I want to make good money AND feel good about what I do. Teachers nor nurses get full compensation for their duties.

I appreciate and understand both points of view. I live in California and it absolutely sickens me what we pay actors and industry people- I know gaffers that make more money than teachers and it isn't right, it is down right despicable. What we pay athletes is disgusting too. Teachers have the most important job for our future citizens and our economy and we just don't give a hoot. Thank you wfgodot and our other WS teachers, I for one give a damn, and I am grateful for your service. I wish I cut your paycheck- you would love me for it!

Even though I am still a legally registered nurse, I left the practicing field because, for me, the pay was not enough to cover the work load, responsibility, and horror we had to put up with from taking care of the general public. For me, the non-paying job at home nurturing and caring for my own children is more profitable at the moment. However, for my coworkers left behind, I can easily put them in two categories, those who absolutely need the paycheck, and those who continue to clock in, despite the negatives, to selflessly care for those who need it. Some coworkers might fall in both categories. I can't speak for teachers, but my experiences in nursing tell me that those that are still practicing do so because of a higher calling, not to get rich.

The public is getting harder and harder to deal with, and it greatly saddens me.

ETA: I compare this article to how I feel when I receive photos of an infant I used to take care of, or run into a child in public, and the mother brags about his/her accomplishments and achievements in life, as I know that my coworkers and I were a huge part of sustaining life for that 25 weeker.

You talkin' about me? :seeya:

Personally, I don't think teachers, policemen/women, firefighters, military, nurses, or social workers and many other public service workers get paid enough. I know when I worked with child abuse years ago we were on-call a lot and sometimes worked 24/7 due to staff shortages. We did not get overtime back then, just earned compensatory time, but no TIME to take it, and the salary was certainly not enough for the many dangerous situations we had to handle. I've had to bring cases home and dictate reports all weekend to keep up and have them on time for court.

I really don't think that is what the man meant by his statement though...he of all people would probably advocate for more pay for teachers since he feels she helped him so much...I think that was just his way of saying she did care about her students and he appreciated it. I would never post anything to belittle teachers as there were several that helped me a lot in life also...in fact, I trained to be a teacher but another fork in the road came up!

Bless you Reader, thank you for your service as well, and your diplomatic demeanor. I don't mean to speak for wfgodot, but I am sure that isn't really how she took your post. I always appreciate your insightful, intelligent posts and understood you posted the article under things that make us smile! We could all use some of that when most of are cases are so disheartening and tragic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back