810 users online (114 members and 696 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GA - mom home alone with kids shoots ex-con intruder

According to the Journal-Constitution, the father then dialed 911 and his wife, who works from a home office, hid with the children in a crawlspace.

By that time, according to the paper, the intruder had used a crowbar to forcibly enter the home, and made his way to the home office.

“He opens the closet door and finds himself staring down the barrel of a .38 revolver,” Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The woman fired six bullets, five of which hit Paul Ali Slater in the face and neck area, Chapman said. But Slater, who has arrests dating to 2008 and was released from jail in August, was still conscious

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/06...#ixzz2HD3jdD2Y
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Craziness.

Thank goodness for this family having a great safety plan! I'm so glad this woman and her children were not physically hurt. It will still be very difficult for them to deal with this experience.

I wonder if she'll get a .45 since the .38 unbelievable only wounded him. Who would think that shooting someone that many times in the face and neck wouldn't kill them.

Hopefully, they'll keep this guy in prison now. People like this, even getting shot in the face multiple times, seem to never learn.

FIRST: Georgia Mom "YOU ROCK"

Since he is still alive. I think it is a good idea to move, he is creepy and can return even years later.

SNIP

Slater was transported to Gwinnett Medical Center and is expected to survive, the sheriff said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/06...#ixzz2HDGLqBpP
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

We're flexible like that.

Excellent safety plan, mom. Poor woman had to be terrified.

Him? Some people just can't be killed.

Thankfully, she was armed with a weapon that out-ranked his crowbar. There would have been a very different outcome to this story.

Thumbs up

It makes me glad that I have a .357 handgun instead of an .38 and my hubby just bought me a new S&W .40 handgun for protection which is more powerful yet is much lighter in weight.

A lot of police use to carry .38s.

Its amazing he lived after being shot 5 times close up.

I shudder to think if he had found the mom unarmed and the children in the crawlspace what he would have done to them with the crowbar he had.

IMO, she should be nominated for Ga-Mom of the Year for saving her family.
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Way to go Mom!!!

Thank God she had that gun!
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

It's a good thing that she didn't hesitate to shoot to kill. At least it allowed them time to run to the neighbor's house.

I also note that not having a gun did not deter this criminal in the least, but if the Mom had not been armed and ready to defend her children without hesitation, this criminal could have easily killed them all with his crowbar or even with his bare hands.

I wonder how many doors he knocked that day and what product he pretended to be selling. Surely he had some kind of a pitch. How many of us have had "sales persons" at our door who were really trolling for a home to break in to? I'm sure that a lot of people have answered the door for predators with no way of knowing that they had just been "cased".

To bad he lived, when he gets out of jail with his record, he will surely have a gun next time and kill!
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
    John Stuart Mill
    English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Pro-gun control here, but also pro-mom shooting intruder multiple times! Good shot mom. I wonder why this knucklehead thought to look in an upstairs crawlspace. Calls into question what he was after.

Quote Originally Posted by BeginnersLuck View Post
    Thank goodness for this family having a great safety plan! I'm so glad this woman and her children were not physically hurt. It will still be very difficult for them to deal with this experience.

I wonder if she'll get a .45 since the .38 unbelievable only wounded him. Who would think that shooting someone that many times in the face and neck wouldn't kill them.

Hopefully, they'll keep this guy in prison now. People like this, even getting shot in the face multiple times, seem to never learn.
    It depends on what kind of .38 ammo she was using. There's good personal protection ammo, but it's called "hollow point" and some jurisdictions have banned it.

More powerful rounds, like .45 or .357, have greater stopping power but ammo selection is still very important.

Wow, I just can't believe this guy survived that! That's crazy! At least it stopped him from attacking the victims, though, sounds like, but you hear people saying how "helpful" guns are for protection, but wow this didn't turn out as expected?

Not that I'm wishing death upon anyone--not that I'd be shedding any tears for this guy, either.

We have a .22 and a .44, neither of which I know how to shoot (yet?), but...dang-- I guess I know which one might work better....but it's big and my hands are small, so I dunno. I wonder if that's why she used a .38, because other guns are too big?

DH says we have "300 grain" ammo or something? Like, more powerful or something? Not hollow-point, but supposedly more powerful?
    Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flourish View Post
    We have a .22 and a .44, neither of which I know how to shoot (yet?), but...dang-- I guess I know which one might work better....but it's big and my hands are small, so I dunno. I wonder if that's why she used a .38, because other guns are too big?

DH says we have "300 grain" ammo or something? Like, more powerful or something? Not hollow-point, but supposedly more powerful?
    Don't use .22. People have been killed with them, don't get me wrong, but it would require a lucky shot.

I'd try the .44 but it may have too much "kick." I'd recommend going to a local gun range that has rentals, you can try different calibers and also different guns to see which one you shoot the best. Your husband may be comfortable with a .44 but you may shoot better with a 9mm, and (God forbid) if someone is attacking you, you want the gun that YOU are most comfortable with that is still effective.

300 grain refers to the size of the bullet. That would be for the .44. (By comparison, .22 is around 36 grain.) Size isn't everything though

Hollow point is nice because what happens when it hits something is that it "mushrooms" and basically stops, causing all that energy to impact what was shot. So if a person is shot, it causes more "stopping power" to affect them. Hollow point is also less likely to go through walls.

good on this lady!! i wouldnt think twice about doing exactly the same to protect my kids.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; The point is to discover them.

Jodi Ann Arias - GUILTY 1st Degree Murder

Sentence - LIFE Without Parole

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast