759 users online (102 members and 657 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

IL - Urooj Khan, 46, lottery winner, dies of cyanide poisoning, 20 July 2012

Probably one for Crimes in the News but, as the source of the cyanide is unclear, will put it here for now

Cyanide poisoning killed lottery winner, officials say (Chicago Sun-Times)
    Last June, Urooj Khan literally jumped for joy as he stood in a Far North Side 7-Eleven, having just learned he held a $1 million-winning instant lottery ticket.

Less than a month later, Khan, 46, died at his West Rogers Park home — of apparent hardening of the arteries. But now, Khan’s death has been reclassified as a homicide, and investigators say he died from cyanide poisoning.

Investigators are moving toward exhuming Khan’s body for further tests, Cook County Chief Medical Examiner Stephen J. Cina said Monday.
    ---
    The medical examiner’s office did an external exam, but no autopsy.

“At the time, there was no suspicion of foul play based on the history provided,” Cina said.
    ---
    more at the link

Just dawned on me that the ME did rule this a homicide. (Not sure entirely on what account.) Seeing if we can move this to Crimes in the News.

And it was a relative that asked for further toxicology. This is not going to end well........

I would say for Mr Khan, it already hasn't ended well.

Oh, wow! People are horrible. I wonder who poisoned him? I would assume it was someone who would be in a position to inherit some of the lottery money.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    OT, but i wonder how the Daily Mail would stay in business without all of the USA's gory crimes.
    Last edited by cluciano63; 01-07-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    Just my opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    OT, but i wonder how the Daily Mail would stay on business without all of the USA's gory crimes.
    Secret to their online success - they're the #1 online "news source" in the world.

So who cooked dinner? Certainly this won't be a hard one for LE to solve.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...poisoning.html

(snip)
    A check for the $425,000 in prize money, however, wasn't actually cut until July 19. The next day, or July 20, Khan went to work, as was his wont, reportedly then returned to his home in Chicago's Far North Side, ate dinner and adjourned to bed shortly thereafter.
    But the quiescence of Khan's day - and life - was brutally interrupted a short time later when the suddenly wealthy entrepreneur woke up screaming in excruciating pain from his bed.

From above link:

Khan's widow, for her part, refused to be interviewed by The Tribune about her husband's homicide, other than to say she had cooperated with authorities.

Shabana Ansari, 32, to whom Khan was married for 12 years, told the paper, though that he was, 'extraordinary, nice, kind and lovable.' He was, she said, 'the best husband on the entire planet.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2HOR6GywR

Now that they figured out he didn't die from natural causes, this doesn't sound like a crime that would be hard to solve. Although they did screw it up originally by declaring it a natural death without an autopsy. At least it doesn't sound that he was cremated, since they plan to exhume the body.
    Just my opinion

So. Cyanide. Who has access to cyanide?

So. Cyanide. Who has access to cyanide?
    So, who is gonna volunteer to have that Google search on their computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    So, who is gonna volunteer to have that Google search on their computer?
    No problem here, lol, it would be one of the less odd things. I was just being lazy and thought I could lure someone else into looking. I thought perhaps dry cleaners might have access due to use of some form of cyanide in some dry cleaning product, but an initial (lazy) search didn't prove that out.

No problem here, lol, it would be one of the less odd things. I was just being lazy and thought I could lure someone else into looking. I thought perhaps dry cleaners might have access due to use of some form of cyanide in some dry cleaning product, but an initial (lazy) search didn't prove that out.
    Nowdays, almost anything can be purchased on-line.
    Just my opinion

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast