Australia Australia - Renata Wolanin, 40, Linden Park, SA, 2 Aug 1989

Okay, DW was apparently her husband.

http://missingandmurderedaustralia.blogspot.com.au/1989/08/renata-wolanin.html?m=1

RENATA WOLANIN
2 August 1989
RENATA WOLANIN (b. 18/1/48 - 41)
Last seen - leaving her home in Linden Park, SA. She left barefoot and wearing pyjamas following an argument with her husband David Wehner.
Reward - South Australia Police - $200,000

Mods, is it okay to post from this sort of source? Sorry wasn't sure.

Adelaide now article. http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/linden-park-woman-vanished-in-1989/story-fn34oiv6-1225739793176

Linden Park woman vanished in 1989
The Advertiser
June 24, 2009 4:20PM
ON a cold, rainy morning in August, 1989, Renata Wolanin left her Linden Park home in her pyjamas.

She was never seen again.

Ms Wolanin, who was 40 at the time, left her Verdale Ave home barefoot in the early hours of the morning, husband David Wehner told a coronial inquest in 1991.

He said he believed his wife had ``gone for a walk'' after a fight over renovations.

In 2005, Major Crime detective Sergeant Michael Standing said police had no evidence to indicate Ms Wolanin was still alive.

A neighbour told the inquest she saw a car leave the couple's house about 4am, but could not identify it.

Ms Wolanin was presumed dead by the Coroner, but there was not enough evidence to find if her disappearance was due to murder, suicide, an orchestrated effort or accidental death.

Advertisement

After his initial claim for his wife's entire estate was disputed by her parents, Mr Wehner secured a $50,000 out-of-court settlement in 1992.

The family of the missing woman say they have believed for 18 years they know who killed her and hid her body.

Her brother, Andrew Wolanin, said in 2005 he was positive his sister was dead.

But he - like the investigating detectives - does not have enough evidence to prove his theory.

He said he believed there were people with information that might still help police.

So there was a coronial inquiry in 1991. I'll hunt down the findings.

According to DW, left home at 4am in pyjamas and bare feet after argument about renovations...same issue he mentioned in his thanks to her in his report.

Other writings beyond that re violence against women and sex offenders.

I also looked at home address and last recorded sighting.

Renata was said to have walked out of the family home after am argument in her pjs and bare feet. One article mentions it was a cold rainy night. Rainy, but bare feet and pjs? Also saw talk of a last sighting (confirmed or not I'm not sure) at Mobil service station on Glen Osmond Rd, which is at the base of the freeway.

The only time I'd be wandering in the rain in pjs and bare feet is if I was not so much 'going for a walk' as fleeing.

A car was seen leaving house by neighbor at approx 4am.

If she did leave at that time and walked to the Mobil, it's a fair walk. If she was picked up or hitched a ride, she could have been taken up freeway to Adelaide Hills and on road to Victoria. Lots of countryside, lots of places to dispose of a body.

Same middle initial but I think our DMW would have to be 60-70+. I wondered because I think both had links to WA but I doubt it. Zynga seems to be a gaming company, and our DMW was some kind of researcher (maybe social worker?)

There is also a reference to a woman same name as our missing person who was a social worker, born 1950, wrote a book (was a national library catalogue or similar). There seems to be differing accounts of her DOB 1948/1951 so this made me wonder, too. Maybe they were both in same field?

ETA: definitely not the same. The Zynga guy had a US education.

Oh and parents of RW tried to stop DW benefiting from her estate. Settled out of court for $50,000. How interesting is that?

Maybe because coroner's findings from 1991 inquest that she was most likely dead?

Presumably she must have been declared dead for her estate to be settled.

Maybe because coroner's findings from 1991 inquest that she was most likely dead?

Presumably she must have been declared dead for her estate to be settled.

She had only been missing for 2 years at that stage...surely you can not assume someone is dead after 2 years...there really isn't a lot of info on this case at all which is strange

She had only been missing for 2 years at that stage...surely you can not assume someone is dead after 2 years...there really isn't a lot of info on this case at all which is strange

Good question. Although perhaps if an inquest is held and an official finding made you can. Just going to see if it says when estate settled.

Looks like estate was settled in 1992. So after Coroner makes his findings she is declared legally dead perhaps, and estate distribution can proceed?

ETA: appears brother of RW, ATW (psychologist or similar) died in 2010. Cremation record from Centennial Park cemetery.

I get the distinct impression the problem with this case is no body and not enough evidence, even if detectives had a strong idea what happened to RW :(

I get the distinct impression the problem with this case is no body and not enough evidence, even if detectives had a strong idea what happened to RW :(

I agree 100% hence why there is hardly info on the case! Unfortunately I think this one really will stay unsolved :(

I agree 100% hence why there is hardly info on the case! Unfortunately I think this one really will stay unsolved :(

Short of RW's remains turning up, a deathbed confession or someone else coming forward who knows what happened, I agree...sadly. Makes me furious this woman and her poor family have had no justice.

From the paper on men and domestic violence linked above:

Finally, a note of thanks to Renata Wolanin who provided material and emotional support throughout the preparation of this report. Her tolerance of my distracted presence, my inability to get the work done faster so we could finish renovations and my turning the den into a paper nightmare was remarkable. I'll get done quicker next time.

David M. Wehner
April, 1985

This is several years before she disappeared - were they really STILL having issues with the renovations...

I have a hard time seeing any woman taking off in bare feet and nightclothes in the rain, after an argument over the ensuite or whatever - unless she was not feeling safe at home.

Must of been some argument for her to leave at 4am, barefoot in her pjs, in the rain and in winter. And why be arguing about renos at that hour of the morning? A tad strange!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back