813 users online (140 members and 673 guests)  

Websleuths News

What Measures the Best Teacher?

The three year Measures of Effective Teaching Study was funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. I think what it uncovered is fascinating, fwiw.

LINK HERE
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

I think it is crazy that study cost $50M though.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle View Post
    I think it is crazy that study cost $50M though.
    LOL- but it will be worth it if the whole standardized test measure is thrown out the window. testing has to cost well over that to give every year. I read the dollar figure for one state alone is 19 million. Multiply that out to all of the states who give it...
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

I agree 50 million is crazy.

The study did not recommend to do away with testing, just that is should not be rated as high. The test should just make up a small percentage of the rating.

This study did not seem to take into consideration the home values of the students. A teacher that gets to teach students from families that value education, discipline, etc will get better results than one that teaches students from families that do not value education.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLuck View Post
    I agree 50 million is crazy.

The study did not recommend to do away with testing, just that is should not be rated as high. The test should just make up a small percentage of the rating.

This study did not seem to take into consideration the home values of the students. A teacher that gets to teach students from families that value education, discipline, etc will get better results than one that teaches students from families that do not value education.
    I think teachers that inspire their students to love the learning process are phenomenal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    The three year Measures of Effective Teaching Study was funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. I think what it uncovered is fascinating, fwiw.

LINK HERE
    From your link,

found it was difficult to predict how much students would achieve in a school year based on their teacher's years of experience or knowledge of pedagogical technique.

bbm, Wonder if it would have easier with 100 million.
    Just know one thing, I am the majority.

Adios amego's

From the OP link:

But researchers found they could pick out the best teachers in a school and even predict roughly how much their students would learn if they rated the educators through a formula that put equal weight on student input, test scores and detailed classroom observations by principals and peers.
    This seems a much more fair and effective measure, to me, with including the student input and progress toward goals.

In fact, some states that relied heavily on those value-added measures are already rethinking.
    Louisiana has already made changes.......come on, Florida!

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I do not have a citation for the article, but a few years ago a study completed by Arizona State University looked for predictors of high scores on standardized tests commonly used in school districts.

This study found that the best predictor of scores on standardized measures of educational achievement is Zip Code.

Yep.

Read 'em and weep.

(not) Laughing

I used to work in the office in a public elementary school. One of the most 'political', intense and drama filled decisions the principal makes is which students will be in a teachers classroom. The teachers lobby heavily to have certain students and they try hard to avoid others.

So in some ways it is a political decision made by the principals. If some students have very chaotic home lives and/or irresponsible parents, and do not focus well or do their homework, then it is kind of unfair to hold the teachers responsible for those students test scores. And the reverse holds true as well.

Some 'favored' teachers are rewarded by the principal with a classroom filled with the best, most academic students, and so those teachers will have a better chance of getting great test scores. JMO
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn