Man dies in zorbing accident

belimom

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes~M.Kuhn
Reaction score
This is horrific. Zorbing is when you get inside one of those huge inflatable balls. I've been in one on the water (and hated it - they had to get me out early). I read more about zorbing after the article below and from zorbing advocates, it appears that the resort did not have the proper safety measures in place, including most importantly a high fence on each side of the slope.

I can't imagine the fear these men felt: one died and one is in the hospital with spine and head injuries. :(

------------------------------------------------------------------

Zorb accident in Russia leads to tragedy [video]

..... Unfortunately, zorbing led to tragedy Thursday when a ball containing two men veered off course and sailed over a rock ledge in the Caucasus Mountains of southern Russia. One man was killed and the other badly injured.

Video of the incident has been released, and it shows the zorb bouncing off the intended path and away from the man stationed at the bottom of the hill who is there to stop the zorb. The ball makes a turn and picks up speed as it heads farther down the mountain before it disappears from view......

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-zorb-accident-20130109,0,5945485.story

I saw this, but hadn't seen the video. After seeing the video, I don't know how one of them survived. Very very sad. I don't understand what might be fun about Zorbing, but I was amazed to see how fast that thing went and the employee's running after it. What did they think? They couldn't have stopped it even if they caught up to it.

Has it been said how much speed the Zorb gained? A mile is a way's and I imagine with the weight it must have picked up a good amount of speed.

Praying for a full recovery for the survivor and the families of both men.

People are not hamsters to be bouncing around in a ball. How is that guy below supposed to stop the moving ball anyway?

I am sorry but it sounds like a stupid hobby to me, JMO?

From watching the video, it seems that what went terribly wrong was when the ball first bounced to the right, over onto the ski slope area. A worker ran over and shoved it back to the left, prompting it to go off the left side of the course, which was the side of the mountain. I think he over-corrected it. As some zorbing advocates have said, this facility did not have any of the recommended safety measures - fences, nets, etc.

If you engage in high risk activities like this, surely you must realize this could happen.

I am sorry but it sounds like a stupid hobby to me, JMO?

I agree! I was a dare devil as a child but as soon as I was around 20 I realized how it only takes a second for something awful to happen so why risk it! I also think bungee jumping is insane!

From watching the video, it seems that what went terribly wrong was when the ball first bounced to the right, over onto the ski slope area. A worker ran over and shoved it back to the left, prompting it to go off the left side of the course, which was the side of the mountain. I think he over-corrected it. As some zorbing advocates have said, this facility did not have any of the recommended safety measures - fences, nets, etc.

Looks like that guy was supposed to be the one to stop the ball. But obviously couldn't manage it. I looked at youtube UK zorbing video-they didn't have any netting either.
This looks like a very unsafe area for "zorbing."

This was just crazy to watch.

ITA. Did the resort not think - at any point - that a BALL could actually ROLL down a mountainside? Seriously. That's what balls do: they roll down things. Unbelievable. I do think that the two men probably didn't think anything would happen, because *most* people think that if they're paying to do something, then it must be safe or licensed or regulated or whatever. Not that we shouldn't use our own heads to see that the side of the mountain is like, right there. But I think most people just trust that if it weren't safe, it wouldn't be available. :twocents:

The Emergencies Ministry said both men were ejected from the zorb as it tumbled and they landed on the snow about 10 meters (30 feet) apart. They were rescued by two skiers, who then pulled both men up to the top of the hill. Burakov suffered serious spinal injuries and died on the way to the hospital. Shcherbakov suffered a concussion and other injuries and remains hospitalized.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/0...adly-in-russia/?test=latestnews#ixzz2HY9gSb2h

Oh no! This is scary, my daughter has been in one of those at the fair, and yes we paid $10 for the ride!!

Every time I think about what those two guys experienced I feel sick to my stomach. I doubt they had any clue they were off course until they went over the edge. How terrifying.

The operators fled the scene... OMG.

------------------------------------------------------------------
bbm

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/01/man-dies-when-zorbing-thrill-ride-goes-wrong/

(snip)

"Authorities have opened a criminal investigation into the accident and plan to question the attraction’s organizers. In the video an employee is heard confirming that a ride cost 300 rubles, or about $10. According to the Moscow News, the organizers had just set up the attraction and were operating without a license and fled the scene. If they are found guilty, they face up to six years in prison for failing to comply with safety regulations."

Every time I think about what those two guys experienced I feel sick to my stomach. I doubt they had any clue they were off course until they went over the edge. How terrifying.

I am amazed one of them is alive.

http://english.pravda.ru/news/hotspots/10-01-2013/123432-inflatable_ball-0/

Giant inflatable ball kills tourist in Russia

don't you just love how the ball killed the tourist.

During the interrogation, the man stated that he had purchased the inflatable ball for personal use.

It was previously reported that police were looking for three men who were allegedly involved in the tragedy. News agencies also said that the owners of the ball did not have the license to provide such services. According to investigators, the attraction was installed just an hour before the tragedy.

People are not hamsters to be bouncing around in a ball. How is that guy below supposed to stop the moving ball anyway?

Spotters are suppose to keep the ball on the right path ...or so its
been reported.

Spotters are suppose to keep the ball on the right path ...or so its
been reported.

It's a rather steep slope and it was going at high speed. He was obviously not able to either keep it on the right path or stop it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back