Flu Prompts Boston to Declare Public Health Emergency

Reader

Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/hospitals-flooded-flu-patients-turn-chicago/story?id=18167245

An early and nasty flu season has prompted a public health emergency in Boston, where health officials say 700 people have been diagnosed with the cold-weather virus. Four Bostononians -- all elderly -- have died from flu.

"This is the worst flu season we've seen since 2009, and people should take the threat of flu seriously," Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said in a statement.................more at link.....

an A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
an A/Victoria/361/2011 (H3N2)-like virus;
a B/Wisconsin/1/2010-like virus (from the B/Yamagata lineage of viruses).
These are the viruses contained within the flu shot.

These are the viruses being seen across the US:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

2009 H1N1, A (H3), A(Subtyping not performed), B

They did a pretty good job matching this year. The thing is, you have to be vaccinated and not exposed for a minimum of 2 weeks for the shot to be the most effective, I believe. Even if you get it, being vaccinated (if it has reached it full potential) should minimize your experience.

Lots of hand washing everyone!! I wish you a healthy season!!!

Flu 'epidemic ... still on the uptick,' national health official says

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/09/health/us-flu-season/index.html?hpt=us_c2

(CNN) -- The flu is spreading fiercely across the United States, with more than 40 states reporting widespread activity in what one of the nation's leading health officials is calling an epidemic.

"If you look at the charts that the (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) put out on their website, it clearly has gone above that threshold. So we are into what would classically be described as a flu epidemic," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Thursday..................

There have so far been 2,257 hospitalizations associated with laboratory-confirmed flu virus, the CDC report said. Among children, there have been 18 deaths reported during this season. Various state agencies also are compiling statistics on flu-related deaths.

More at link.............

'Flu kills, folks. They're expecting more than 50K to pass from this year's flu season, and I don't think they're that far off.

Wash hands.
Get lots of rest.
Drink lots of fluids.
Eat right.
Take a multivitamin.
Drink lots of fluid.
Dracula Cough (cough into the elbow).
Sneeze into a tissue, then immediately throw that issue away.
Drink lots of fluid.
See a Dr. when necessary.

And, just in case you didn't know already, drink lots of fluid.

Dehydration is a serous issue with the 'flu...and with just regular, normal day to day life. We all need to drink more fluid (e.g. water), so use this opportunity to incorporate water (w or w/o electrolyte additives) into your daily routine.

Best-
Herding Cats

Congrats to the US for finally getting the flu epidemic they have been talking about since 2008. Which one is it bird, swine, global warming? I feel like Michael Jackson(RIP) wearing a mask and gloves when I go out, but I don't care I can't afford to get sick. The worst place to go right now is to the doctor or the emergency room. It's oozing with germs. I was in the hospital about a month ago and asked to be released because all the nurses were sick or getting sick. I told them just give me my antibiotics, steroids, decongestant and I will fight this thing myself. I'm holding my own, but shake like a scared puppy every time I have to go out.

Lots of cases, like mine just before Thanksgiving don't even get reported because of not seeing a doctor or ER.

Yes, Vicki - these are only the reported ones. But that is also factored in, because a lot of people don't see the Dr in regular years.

It's just that flu season is just now getting under way, and we are already well above the last few years' markers. It's a bit scary...I don't think it's the 1917 event, but it's still pretty serious.

And I forgot to mention, get the flu shot if you can. It takes a while (10 or so days) for your body to learn which antibodies to make, and this vax is, like all others, not 100%...still, if you can, run in and get the shot. It can, and does, help.

This flu doesn't scare me like the flu from Mexico a few years ago - I got that one, and was very, very ill for a very long time...that was scary. But this year's isn't "unknown" like that one...this one is "familiar" and there is a vax for it.

Best-
Herding Cats

Lots of cases, like mine just before Thanksgiving don't even get reported because of not seeing a doctor or ER.

Yes, hubby and I had it in September/October. He had it when I went in for my flu shot, so I was incubating it then and came down with it a week later. Sniffles, sneezing, inner ear disturbance causing dizziness, then coughing. The symptoms were not all at once but in succession so it dragged out.

Hubby got over it quickly. Mine got into my lungs and I coughed for a month. Nasty stuff.

Congrats to the US for finally getting the flu epidemic they have been talking about since 2008. Which one is it bird, swine, global warming? I feel like Michael Jackson(RIP) wearing a mask and gloves when I go out, but I don't care I can't afford to get sick. The worst place to go right now is to the doctor or the emergency room. It's oozing with germs. I was in the hospital about a month ago and asked to be released because all the nurses were sick or getting sick. I told them just give me my antibiotics, steroids, decongestant and I will fight this thing myself. I'm holding my own, but shake like a scared puppy every time I have to go out.

The flu is viral. Antibiotics won't help. It's not only the US but worldwide. What really upsets me the most is we had that H1N1 pandemic scare a couple of years ago and everyone got their flu shots. People lining up for hours but this time there were no warnings. Does anybody understand why the public wasn't warned? I sure as heck don't.

'Flu kills, folks. They're expecting more than 50K to pass from this year's flu season, and I don't think they're that far off.

Wash hands.
Get lots of rest.
Drink lots of fluids.
Eat right.
Take a multivitamin.
Drink lots of fluid.
Dracula Cough (cough into the elbow).
Sneeze into a tissue, then immediately throw that issue away.
Drink lots of fluid.
See a Dr. when necessary.

And, just in case you didn't know already, drink lots of fluid.

Dehydration is a serous issue with the 'flu...and with just regular, normal day to day life. We all need to drink more fluid (e.g. water), so use this opportunity to incorporate water (w or w/o electrolyte additives) into your daily routine.

Best-
Herding Cats

Thanks for your love and concern for other people. Several months ago my twin grandsons (age seven at the time) were very sick. I explained to them about hydration/dehydration and taught them how to spell these words. Every once in awhile we have a "refresher" course about what to do if they are sick. I don't think they will ever forget this (God bless their sweet souls.) I am so blessed!!

Have been visiting my grandfather in the hospital down in SE Mass and am just FLOORED by thhe number of people in the ER with flu. Nurses were saying the waits were eight hours, there are no beds, they were putting patients up in the day surgery unit. This hospital is always pretty busy, but nothing like I have seen over the last two weeks.

Making it worse was this particular hospital was recently bought by a major company, which of course went through cutbacks when it changed over. So there are not enough nurses for all the patients, really. I can just imagine how the overworked staff are themselves at risk for catching this junk.

I too hate going out in public with all the germs. I nearly punched a guy who, sniffling and coughing, was standing practically on TOP of me in line at the store yesterday. Personal space, people! Imma start carrying around a can of Lysol and just start spraying peeps in the face if they get too close with their germs! :crazy:

I never worried about flu viruses until this year and the news talking about deaths. I always thought only the very vulnerable were at risk for that, it does not seem that thought was correct.

I do have a question. What is up with the "cough in your elbow." I don't do that. I cough in my hand so I can wash the germs away. If I cough in my elbow germs are on my jacket/sweater/shirt that I cannot remove until I get home, and I am therefore spreading germs right under everyone's nose, eyes, mouth. I am not understanding that either.

Gardenlady, I'm with you on the lysol spraying! :floorlaugh:

I never worried about flu viruses until this year and the news talking about deaths. I always thought only the very vulnerable were at risk for that, it does not seem that thought was correct.

I do have a question. What is up with the "cough in your elbow." I don't do that. I cough in my hand so I can wash the germs away. If I cough in my elbow germs are on my jacket/sweater/shirt that I cannot remove until I get home, and I am therefore spreading germs right under everyone's nose, eyes, mouth. I am not understanding that either.

Unfortunately, not everyone is like us who wash their hands immediately after coughing into them and/or use hand sanitizer. I think that is the reason the coughing in elbow thing came about mostly for children as we know touch everything!!!! I believe it started with schools and children were taught not to cough in their hands. They share school supplies, books, etc.

We can try to prevent from spreading germs but if you think about it, we would be have to be continuously washing our hands every time we touch anything. Money, grocery store carts, door handles, gas pumps.

I carry hand sanitizer in my car, purse and have a bottle at work. I still got the flu during the holidays.

Another important prevention is avoid touching your face. But in all honesty, some of these preventable measures are just that. Prevention. It won't guarantee you won't get sick.

I didn't get the flu shot. Never did. I will definitely consider it next year.

Oh and one last rant: To those who got the flu shot: Some believe they're invincible so don't take the necessary precautions to protect others. I've seen it with my own eyes!!!

I feel like I should live in a bubble until May.

We teach the kids to cough into their elbows, too.

We call it their "germ catcher". With toddlers especially, by the time they even GET to the sink to wash their hands, they have touched a friend, their own face again, a lesson, some toys, the snack tray, soap dispenser, faucet, handle, etc. This keep sneeze germs from flying as far as they would through fingers and also from those germy hands spreading a little more of that virus love, lol. :D. And we still teach them to wash their hands, anyway.

Im my job, I wash my hands about 100 times a day, anyway, so what's 100 more? Eucerin, anyone?

Strangely I don't know anyone with the flu. I can't help but wonder if some people get confused and think they have the flu when they really have a cold, with cough, and fever. If you can sit and post on facebook that you have the flu, well then you can't possible have the real flu. I have had the flu twice in the pass 10 years, I don't get the flu shot either. And believe me, not once did I feel like I could get up and type to the world that I was sick. But if so and so does have the flu, and you come in contact with her, your body decides really want it wants to do, you could get a cold, stomach virus or possibly the flu.
Right at Christmas time my little boy was sick, fever started on the 23 and ended on the 27. It was not the flu, just a virus. And he felt miserable but was such a trooper. So I waited for my daughter to get it too, but she ended up with one day fever with the stomach bug... But that was it. She is my puker haha.
Hope everyone stays healthy, wash hands, don't bite your nails, and stay away from people sneezing..... Nothing worse then walking behind someone who lets out a huge sneeze for you to walk in.

Coughing into your elbow absorbs the invisible mist released when we cough or sneeze. It is this invisible mist that makes the virus highly transmittable to other people. When you cough in your hand you still have to make your way to a bathroom, meanwhile you are touching doornobs, taps, etc. until you can wash your hands.

Forget that flu stuff, I just got over a norovirus that was AWFUL. Talk about debilitating. Worst four days of my life. Dehydration, the stomach cramps, the vomiting, diarrhea, just terrible.

Who house was down with it. Lysolled everything that didn't move once we were all up and moving again.

Herding Cats- what was the flu from Mexico you mentioned?

Major peeve with me- people wo carry on when sick and contagious and spread it! STAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!

Another peeve. Saying you have the flu when all you have is a bad cold or stomach virus. (FWIW there is no such thing as stomach flu. It's just a noro or rotavirus. )As someone said- if you have the real deal, the last place you will be is on FB talking about it!

OK, rant over. I haven't been out since last Friday. Can't get out of it today...sigh....

Confirmed flu cases at Michigan labs rise to 338

Virus continues to hit children, adults in Michigan

Published On: Jan 11 2013 04:17:24 PM EST Updated On: Jan 11 2013 04:22:55 PM EST

DETROIT -
Michigan health officials have confirmed 338 flu cases at state-run labs as the virus continues to send children and adults to hospitals, doctor offices and urgent care centers.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifes...338/-/2300442/18100988/-/13civbt/-/index.html

Herding Cats- what was the flu from Mexico you mentioned?

Major peeve with me- people wo carry on when sick and contagious and spread it! STAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!

Another peeve. Saying you have the flu when all you have is a bad cold or stomach virus. (FWIW there is no such thing as stomach flu. It's just a noro or rotavirus. )As someone said- if you have the real deal, the last place you will be is on FB talking about it!

OK, rant over. I haven't been out since last Friday. Can't get out of it today...sigh....

It's the H1N1/Swine Flu that came out of Mexico late in the season (around end of March/early April). That was considered a "pandemic", and it was a very, very bad flu. I had fever over 103*, was in bed for just over a week, and slept most of that time. It was awful.

It's NOT H1N5, which is the "Bird flu" which virologists expect to come around someday and wipe out a whole bunch of people - similar to the 1917 Spanish influenza. But TBH, any "new" flu can do the damage...

I was in the pharmacy getting my regular meds, and I was sick - with a cold, not the flu - and this poor woman was so scared she'd get the flu. I coughed into my elbow, kept my distance, opened a hand sanitizer thingy, and used it, and that made her feel a bit better. Still kept a huge distance between me and her, but she felt better.

Flu is scary. It can kill, and can also leave the body so debilitated that secondary infections (staph, pneumonia, et cetera) can enter into the body and kill you. That's why they say that elderly, young, and immunocompromised should ALWAYS get the vax, each and every year.

Average annual deaths from whichever flu is floating around is +/- 30,000, clustered mainly in young and elderly folks. They say that this flu season has all the earmarks of getting worse, simply because of the flu itself (I think it's H3N1, but am not positive). This particular virus is very bad, and will make you very sick; but what's also good is that the makers of the vax anticipated this particular strain and added this to the vax this year.

Generally speaking, if you haven't already gotten vax'd, I'd suggest that you get it, While you may still get the flu, it won't be as if you hadn't gotten the vax, and that's something important to note. It will also help prevent you being an "asymptomatic carrier", meaning you can carry the virus but not be ill, thus bringing the illness into the environment around you and those inhabitants therein.

Most drugstores have clinics now where you can get the vax. And there seems to be several websites which will allow you to plug in your zip, and find the nearest place for a flu shot.

I'm glad to see the beginning of a topping off in the eastern part of the US; however, the numbers are still expected to rise, and this may be the crest of the first "wave", as often flu's do come in waves...usually no more than 3, but there have been occasions where it's been in 4 or even 5 waves.

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken