1294 users online (241 members and 1053 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020

    WA - Mother of serial killer Ted Bundy dies

    http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...SNWU00L2_UNEWS

    TACOMA, Wash. (AP) — Louise Bundy, who was a staunch defender of her serial killer son, Ted Bundy, before he made a series of death-row confessions, has died. She was 88.

    She died last month in her hometown of Tacoma after a long illness, The News Tribune newspaper reported Wednesday ( is.gd/G8BVv7).............

    Her stance softened after Ted Bundy made a number of death-row confessions, the newspaper reported...........

    Louise Bundy spoke with him twice on his execution day, telling him at the end of the second call, "You'll always be my precious son."................


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020
    http://blog.thenewstribune.com/crime...undy-has-died/

    The woman who gave birth to one of the nation’s most notorious serial killers and defended and loved him as only a mother could has died.

    Louise Bundy of Tacoma was 88 when she passed away last month after a long illness.

    Bundy was a married mother of five and working as a secretary at the University of Puget Sound in the mid-1970s when allegations against her son, Ted Bundy, turned her life upside down.

    Authorities across the nation accused her eldest child in a string of gruesome killings. He ultimately confessed to murdering more than two dozen women and was executed in 1989 after being convicted of killing two Florida State University sorority members and a 12-year-old girl.

    For many years, Louise Bundy refused to believe her son could be a killer.........................


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    13,612
    There by the grace of god go I.

    RIP Louise Bundy.
    You don't get a medal for switching alliances just before the result, as it becomes apparent the other team is set to win.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,795
    Can you imagine the awfulness of realizing what your child did? What a crushing burden she must have carried.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Posts
    4,562
    Wasn't Ted raised thinking this woman was his sister because he was born out of wedlock?
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.


    Stan Reid

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs G Norris View Post
    There by the grace of god go I.

    RIP Louise Bundy.
    ..but for the grace of GOD.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,881
    His mother was a victim too.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020
    Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    Wasn't Ted raised thinking this woman was his sister because he was born out of wedlock?
    http://www.ask.com/wiki/Ted_Bundy

    Bundy was born Theodore Robert Cowell at the Elizabeth Lund Home For Unwed Mothers (now the Lund Family Center[6]) in Burlington, Vermont on November 24, 1946 to Eleanor Louise Cowell (known for most of her life as Louise). The identity of his father has never been determined with certainty. His birth certificate assigns paternity to a salesman and Air Force veteran named Lloyd Marshall,[7] but Louise later claimed that she was seduced by "a sailor" whose name may have been Jack Worthington.[8] Years later, investigators would find no record of anyone by that name in Navy or Merchant Marine archives.[9] Some family members expressed suspicions that the father may actually have been Louise's own violent, abusive father, Samuel Cowell, though there was no direct evidence to support such speculation.[10]

    For the first three years of his life Bundy lived in the Philadelphia home of his maternal grandparents, Samuel and Eleanor Cowell, who raised him as their son to avoid the social stigma that accompanied illegitimate birth at the time. Family, friends, and even young Ted were told that his grandparents were his parents and that his mother was his older sister. Eventually he discovered the truth, but how and when is not clear. He told his girlfriend that a cousin showed him a copy of his birth certificate after calling him a "bastard",[11] but he told biographers Stephen Michaud and Hugh Aynesworth that he found the certificate himself.[12] Biographer and true crime writer Ann Rule, who knew Bundy personally, believes that he tracked down his original birth record in Vermont in 1969.[13] Bundy expressed a lifelong resentment toward his mother for lying about his true parentage and leaving him to discover it for himself.[14]

    More at link...........


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    http://www.ask.com/wiki/Ted_Bundy

    Bundy was born Theodore Robert Cowell at the Elizabeth Lund Home For Unwed Mothers (now the Lund Family Center[6]) in Burlington, Vermont on November 24, 1946 to Eleanor Louise Cowell (known for most of her life as Louise). The identity of his father has never been determined with certainty. His birth certificate assigns paternity to a salesman and Air Force veteran named Lloyd Marshall,[7] but Louise later claimed that she was seduced by "a sailor" whose name may have been Jack Worthington.[8] Years later, investigators would find no record of anyone by that name in Navy or Merchant Marine archives.[9] Some family members expressed suspicions that the father may actually have been Louise's own violent, abusive father, Samuel Cowell, though there was no direct evidence to support such speculation.[10]

    For the first three years of his life Bundy lived in the Philadelphia home of his maternal grandparents, Samuel and Eleanor Cowell, who raised him as their son to avoid the social stigma that accompanied illegitimate birth at the time. Family, friends, and even young Ted were told that his grandparents were his parents and that his mother was his older sister. Eventually he discovered the truth, but how and when is not clear. He told his girlfriend that a cousin showed him a copy of his birth certificate after calling him a "bastard",[11] but he told biographers Stephen Michaud and Hugh Aynesworth that he found the certificate himself.[12] Biographer and true crime writer Ann Rule, who knew Bundy personally, believes that he tracked down his original birth record in Vermont in 1969.[13] Bundy expressed a lifelong resentment toward his mother for lying about his true parentage and leaving him to discover it for himself.[14]

    More at link...........
    Forgive me for being obtuse, but I've never really understood how Ted Bundy could believe, until 1969, that his mother was his sister. They'd left his grandparents when he was three years old, and Ted was then adopted by Louise's husband when Ted was five (1951). He took what would be (according the the story that his mother was his sister) his brother-in-law's last name. For him not to realize that his supposed sister was his mother until he was 23 years old seems far-fetched.

    I'm guessing that Ted told his biographers that he'd discovered the birth certificate himself as some form of ego preservation. He must have known much earlier than 1969, and experienced some bullying because of the status.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    248
    I can't remember which Ted Bundy biography it's in (either Confessions of a Killer or Only Living Witness), but he did say he was bullied and told by cousins (I think?) that his "mother" was actually his grandmother.

    I can't Ted-fend here, but if you grow up with emotionally closed people (which I feel was the case), it may not have been something he felt he could broach with his "sister." It's all odd for sure, but so was Ted.

    RIP Louise.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    12,667
    I think in some ways it must be so much harder to be the mother of a murderer than the murder victim.
    The murder victims mother will always have sympathy and support. The murderers mother will always have blame and accusations and they have to live with what their child did. The child they raised.

    What an awful place to be.
    Atticus Finch: “You never really understand a person . . . until you consider things from his point of view.” To Kill A Mockingbird

    All my posts are my opinion only.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    4,182
    Quote Originally Posted by evafiore View Post
    Forgive me for being obtuse, but I've never really understood how Ted Bundy could believe, until 1969, that his mother was his sister. They'd left his grandparents when he was three years old, and Ted was then adopted by Louise's husband when Ted was five (1951). He took what would be (according the the story that his mother was his sister) his brother-in-law's last name. For him not to realize that his supposed sister was his mother until he was 23 years old seems far-fetched.

    I'm guessing that Ted told his biographers that he'd discovered the birth certificate himself as some form of ego preservation. He must have known much earlier than 1969, and experienced some bullying because of the status.
    I think he figured that she was his sister, but did not know it for a fact until he pulled his original birth certificate in 1969.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

    Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,103
    I only found out in my 50's that the woman I thought was my 1/2 sister was actually my birth mother and the woman who I believed was my mother was actually my biological grandmother. I was told my BC was "lost" and I accepted that for most of my life. The woman who raised me was 40 when I was born, so it was not biologically impossible. She had given birth to her first daughter (who turned out was my mother) when she was 18 and her second when she was 19.

    My birth mother had moved out of state right after I was born. She was married 7 months after my birth to a man that was not my biological father and then gave birth to her "first" child 6 months later. The first child she claimed. They went on to have a total of 7 kids, so she actually gave birth 8 times counting me.

    Anyway, all that is to say that yes, it is startling to discover such a thing. Yes it disrupts your world somewhat. But a serial killer it does not make.

    However, I will say that, after finding out that I was adopted I did a lot of reading about it, and particularly with the stigma involved with out of wedlock births prior to the 80's when it started to become quite common. Back in the 30's through the 60's especially, it was quite shameful. There are also fairly credible theories about the abandonment children feel and how it affects them. There is even a fairly credible school of thought that even children that aren't told they are adopted, still feel that abandonment after bonding with their biological mothers in the womb.

    At any rate, an unusually high number of killers are adopted with Ted and David Berkowitz (Son of Sam) being probably the most famous. There are also an unusually high number with various mental issues particularly depression and anxiety disorders.

    I have to say, the abandonment was surprising, but even as a pretty well adjusted adult I felt it. She didn't want me, but she kept all her other kids? They all think she was a perfect mother, yet she turned her back completely on her first born? Yeah, it's a real feeling.

    I was lucky. The man I thought was my biological father, the man who raised me, gave me so much confidence and taught me so much. He was not my biological father, but he will always be my dad. I have managed to give him a pass, assuming he didn't want to take on the wrath of his wife, my mother, who was really my grandmother, geeze it's confusing.

    But I am still angry at both my biological mother and grandmother, both of whom died before I discovered the truth. Not for the decision they made about custody, but for not telling me.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Posts
    4,562
    It's hard to imagine how shocking that would be chlban. Apparently, that sort of thing was a fairly common practice back before the 1970s. A former girlfriend of mine was once married to a man who was brought up being told that his grandmother and grandfather were his parents and his mother was his older sister. When he was 16, his aunt told him the truth otherwise he might never have known. His biological father was actually a racing driver who was later killed in the Indianapolis 500.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.


    Stan Reid



Similar Threads

  1. NJ NJ - Robert Zarinsky, Suspected NJ Serial Killer dies in prison....
    By ihadcabinfever in forum Serial Killers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-14-2016, 02:19 PM
  2. CA CA -Serial Killer Dorothea Puente dies
    By believe09 in forum Serial Killers
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 07:08 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 04:29 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2008, 08:54 PM