CA - One student injured in Kern Co. Taft High School shooting

Report: Students being evacuated after a shooting at Taft High School in Taft, California; at least 1 victim - @ABC7

( I don't have any other info yet! )

KGET TV17 reports shooter in custody (at FB page linked above). Also reporting two victims.

At least two people were shot Thursday morning at Taft High School in Taft, according to KGET-TV.

Emergency crews were responding to the location. Students were evacuated to a football field, according to KGET.
updates page: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Taft-Bakersfield-School-Shooting-186333931.html
Matthew Keys ‏@TheMatthewKeys
[Resource] Latest information from KGET-TV, who is dispatching four teams to school shooting scene in CA - http://bit.ly/U89eXG
Details were still sketchy at 9:45 a.m. but the Sheriff's Department has confirmed a shooter is in custody and at least two people have been wounded. (KGET TV17)
[Update] KGET: Helicopter, three ambulances dispatched to school shooting scene in California

TAFT, Calif. - Officials have said that at least two people were shot at Taft High School.

The shooting happened at about 9 a.m. [PST], and reports indicate that at least two people were shot.

The shooter was taken into custody at about 9:20 a.m.

23ABC news received phone calls from people inside the school who were hiding in closets.

Kern County Sheriff's Department officials are going room-by-room to secure the school.

Reports indicate that the first person shot was airlifted to Kern Medical Center and the second person denied medical treatment.
---
http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/report-at-least-one-person-shot-at-taft-high-school

There are lots of comments on the facebook page posted above. Anyone hear if the shooter was a student? Very sad. Prayers to all involved.

What's it say about a country where one can feel good that only one person was seriously wounded at a school shooting, instead of dozens, as this kind of thing is now par for the course? God save us.

KGET TV17 FB, link in OP:
TAFT HIGH SHOOTING UPDATE: Sheriff's Department says the shooter is believed to have used a shotgun. A teacher was grazed by a shot and was picked up by ambulance.

This one hits close to home for me. My SIL is a principal in Kern.

wfgodot, Thanks for all of your updates on info out there in this case! You certainly find the info faster than I can!!!

Oh my. It is getting scary just to send your children to school. Wow.

Salem

wfgodot, Thanks for all of your updates on info out there in this case! You certainly find the info faster than I can!!!
A Twitter account is a very handy thing - particularly following @TheMatthewKeys, who is a Reuters tech guy, can't think of his official title. Almost everything I posted was stuff he's tweeted or retweeted, info and links. Also, following major news organizations gets info fast - BBC, Reuters itself, AP, etc. etc.

Photo of scene (also from @TheMatthewKeys tweet) http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/Taft-High-School-shooting-186336162.html

[Programming note] Authorities to hold press conference at 3pm ET (12noon PT) on California school shooting, KERO-TV reports.
It's also been noted that this incident is separate from a December threat of a shooting at another Taft High School, this one in San Antonio TX.

That last time I taught high school, in a small, rural school, during the season, students who wanted to go deer hunting right after classes could bring their rifles and leave them in the principal's office. Sometimes if a student was running late, the rifle would be stowed in their locker. It was really no big deal. Those were different times and they seem a million miles away.

AP reporting that the person taken into custody after the shooting is a student.

Sheriff Donnie Youngblood & Chief Ed Whiting, at presser:

911 calls at 9 a.m. PST.

Two units on scene within sixty seconds.

Active shooter, student who didn't come to school this morning but then interruped his 1st period class.

16-year-old in critical condition but stable at this point.

Missed shot at another student.

Shooter had numerous rounds of shells in pocket.

Teacher engaged shooter in conversation; "campus supervisor" arrived; they resolved situation.

Shooter then put shotgun down.

Sheriff Donnie Youngblood & Chief Ed Whiting, at presser:

911 calls at 9 a.m. PST.

Two units on scene within sixty seconds.

Active shooter, student who didn't come to school this morning.

16-year-old in critical condition but stable at this point.

Missed shot at another student.

Shooter had numerous rounds of shells in pocket.

Teacher and "campus supervisor" resolved situation; shooter put down shotgun.

Bless all of those who put themselves in harms way to defuse the situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog
Back