Thread: 300 Cats, Yes. Craziness, No.

300 Cats, Yes. Craziness, No.

A wonderful story about a magical woman.
    By ANNE RAVER
    Published: January 9, 2013
    LIKE her name, Siglinda Scarpa seems to be from another world. And not just Italy, where she was born. But one in which you can hear the animals speak, and everyone gets along.

Ms. Scarpa, 72, lives in a wooden house painted robin’s egg blue, in the middle of an open woodland, with old oaks and pines rising over sandy soil. With its second-story porches covered with the canes of Lady Banks’ roses, Carolina jasmine and wisteria, the house could be something out of a children’s book.

Some people come here to adopt a cat from the Goathouse Refuge, the animal sanctuary she runs, tucked back in the woods. Others come to buy her pottery or ceramic art, which is displayed in the sunny showroom on the first floor of this whimsical house: abstract pieces that evoke storms brewing in the sky; clay roasting pots shaped like squashes, with frogs or artichokes on their lids; or teacups molded like the face of a cat, the lines of cheek and jaw, nose and mouth drawn by a knowing hand.

For there are real cats everywhere.

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/10/ga...ting.html?_r=0

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to csziggy For This Useful Post:

Kimster is offline WS Adminstrator, Verified Posters Liaison
    Love this article! The slide show was fun too!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
    www.twitter.com/kimsterws

In memory of Ron Pruitt

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

Awww

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf Dreamer For This Useful Post:

My DREAM!!!! This is the kind of place I want!!! Glad to know she has a place for those unloved animals that soooo need to be loved...

Thanks SO much for posting...

Best-
    Herding Cats
    Counting the days...counting the days. Still silent, but neither assenting nor agreeing...and action has been initiated. Everything in it's time. Everything.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herding Cats For This Useful Post:

The cats are in heaven! I thought mine was spoiled LOL!

72 years old! God Bless her heart!

Thanks for sharing the article!
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

It's obvious these cats are well taken care of, every one of them looks wonderful. Good for her. I don't mind someone having tons of animals if they are taking care of them.
    All posts from me are MY OPINION ONLY

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to michmi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Herding Cats View Post
    My DREAM!!!! This is the kind of place I want!!! Glad to know she has a place for those unloved animals that soooo need to be loved...

Thanks SO much for posting...

Best-
    Herding Cats
    Quite a woman, isn't she? What a big heart she has.

It sounds like the cats who are free to roam the outside are also free to come inside. So many cats! How does she avoid fleas?

The cats and other animals living there look great!

LOL, eat your heart out, HC!!!! I know your day will come.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to teedie2 For This Useful Post:

Awesome story. I'm with HC on this one, this would be a dream for me to have. If not for Mr Swamp, I would certainly have more than 7 cats. We have the ideal place for them with many, many acres of land for them to roam and no neighbors for miles. We have numerous sheds and outbuilding for kitties to shelter in but Mr Swamp has decreed that no kitties come in the house (otherwise I would have them roaming in and out as they please). My kitties are quite spoiled and have a steady diet of cat food and yummy bits of steak, chicken, porckchops, fish and even fried alligator.

I would love to have a rescue operation like Siglinda's. What a wonderful person she truly is!!

Totally OT but i ended up with my late uncles very feral kitties who have never let anyone pet them, not even him. I took them home with me after his death over 2 years ago and they quickly adjusted to being country kitties. The boy kitty, Fang, has recently finally allowed me to pet him and what a loverboy he is!!! He loves being petted now, with his ears scratched as he rubs on me and purrs. I am just amazed at what a change he has made.

There needs to be places for kitties who are feral and would never be adopted from a shelter because of their wildness. I would love to run create that place.
    SwampMama

GUILTY!!!

Cyrus C. convicted of 2004 arson in Harvey, La. that killed 4 people, including his 19-month-old daughter, his teenage girlfriend, the girlfriend's mom and GF's young brother (age 11). He was acquitted in 2008 (state charges) in 2008 and found GUILTY (federal charges) in 2013

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...d_of_2004.html

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SwampMama For This Useful Post: