1162 users online (277 members and 885 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Deputies: Grandmother killed by dog while babysitting

HODGES, S.C. —A 65-year-old Upstate woman was killed when she was attacked by a dog as she babysat her grandchildren.

The coroner said an autopsy showed that Betty Todd died of neck and spinal injuries.............

Officers said when they tried to go inside the home, they found an aggressive pit bull with blood on its mouth, chest and paws at the door.............

The victim’s brother-in-law, David Todd, said, "This dog has never shown any aggression before. It slept in the bed with them. They've had the dog four years, and it never ever showed anything like this."............

Hall said the dog was very submissive Wednesday, but because of what happened, it was put down.”

Greenwood County Capt. Ray Watson said he does not expect charges to be filed in this case............

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news...#ixzz2Hd7bFJj6

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

OMG ... how horrible! I am speechless. Prayers to the family.

OMG what an awful way to die, my sympathy to the family.
    All posts from me are MY OPINION ONLY

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    HODGES, S.C. —A 65-year-old Upstate woman was killed when she was attacked by a dog as she babysat her grandchildren.

The coroner said an autopsy showed that Betty Todd died of neck and spinal injuries.............

Officers said when they tried to go inside the home, they found an aggressive pit bull with blood on its mouth, chest and paws at the door.............

The victim’s brother-in-law, David Todd, said, "This dog has never shown any aggression before. It slept in the bed with them. They've had the dog four years, and it never ever showed anything like this."............

Hall said the dog was very submissive Wednesday, but because of what happened, it was put down.”

Greenwood County Capt. Ray Watson said he does not expect charges to be filed in this case............

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news...#ixzz2Hd7bFJj6
    I know this is going to sound horrible, but I find it curious that he never showed aggression before now. My dobermans only showed aggression when protecting us. Wondering if grandmom was hitting the children? Every dog I've ever owned would attack someone that got aggressive with me or my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    I know this is going to sound horrible, but I find it curious that he never showed aggression before now. My dobermans only showed aggression when protecting us. Wondering if grandmom was hitting the children? Every dog I've ever owned would attack someone that got aggressive with me or my son.
    Unless the dog had a brain tumor (very unlikely) then yes, I think something happened to provoke this. Pits are known as the "nanny dog" and I have heard some become extremely protective of the children, especially female pits, sometimes the kids parents end up having a problem because the dog doesn't want anyone to so much as yell at the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    Unless the dog had a brain tumor (very unlikely) then yes, I think something happened to provoke this. Pits are known as the "nanny dog" and I have heard some become extremely protective of the children, especially female pits, sometimes the kids parents end up having a problem because the dog doesn't want anyone to so much as yell at the kids.
    Last year something similar happened where I live. IIRC, an older man and his grown son owned the dog for years. I think the older man was said to be gardening when the dog attacked. Upon returning home, the son found his father dead from bites.

The son can't imagine why the dog would have attacked, and was even advocating that the dog live out it's life with a rescue group. I think the dog was eventually put down.

It is possible that a family dog will try to protect family members. In the case that happened here, I'm wondering if either the older man tried to reprimand the dog, or the dog mistook a gesture the wrong way. Such a mystery.

Whatever happened, once an animal kills a human, it's just too unsafe to keep any longer.

Here's info on that story, along with some similar attacks by family pets.

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2012/05/pit...-death-of.html

Clearly the dog saw Grandma as a danger...how terrible for the family.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Cracka*Jaxx View Post
    Whatever happened, once an animal kills a human, it's just too unsafe to keep any longer.
    Well I would say that depends on who the human is. Some protective breeds will severely maul or kill trespassers/attackers.

My alpha male (Anatolian) would inflict severe damage on anyone that threatened his person, his house, his pack, etc... Two thousand years of selective breeding enforces that instinct. If he actually did kill a human intruder in our defense he would be getting lots of praise and raw chicken as a reward.

Good Lord, Sonya, where the hell do you live?! Kabul? Inside the Green Zone in Baghdad? The tribal areas of Pakistan?

Between the guns and the attack dogs, wouldn't it be cheaper to move to a safer neighborhood?

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Good Lord, Sonya, where the hell do you live?! Kabul? Inside the Green Zone in Baghdad? The tribal areas of Pakistan?

Between the guns and the attack dogs, wouldn't it be cheaper to move to a safer neighborhood?
    Safer neighborhood? I don't live in a neighborhood anymore, I live in in a rural area with a very low crime rate these days. It has a low crime rate cause the people here are often heavily armed and a bit paranoid about criminals.

I like dogs and love protective breeds, he is a companion dog that is also obsessed with safety and security.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    Safer neighborhood? I don't live in a neighborhood anymore, I live in in a rural area with a very low crime rate these days. It has a low crime rate cause the people here are often heavily armed and a bit paranoid about criminals.

I like dogs and love protective breeds, he is a companion dog that is also obsessed with safety and security.
    I also love protective breeds, the bigger the better IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Sometimes dogs just "snap" for no apparent reason. Not that long ago, I read about a dog killing a young child. Prior to this, parents had no concerns and dog played with a child. Then, one day dog attacked and killed this child for no apparent reason. The attack happened very fast and the child ended up dead.
    Sounds like this pitbull did the same thing.
    Just my opinion

keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    So sad Unless grandma was never around and the dog might not of known her to well.... My pit never was aggressive and died at 9... My doberman mix, gessh do not tick her off..... Very protective. I do wonder what happen in the home. She might of reached for the child, not in an aggressive way but one that the dog might of thought it as one.

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Sometimes dogs just "snap" for no apparent reason. Not that long ago, I read about a dog killing a young child. Prior to this, parents had no concerns and dog played with a child. Then, one day dog attacked and killed this child for no apparent reason. The attack happened very fast and the child ended up dead.
    Sounds like this pitbull did the same thing.
    Yes.
    Happens quite often.

That's why I'm kind of shocked by some of the posts "assuming" this grandmother was harming the children or doing something wrong.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    I also love protective breeds, the bigger the better IMO
    Dobermans were my breed for many years, showed them, did rescue, etc... Guess I am getting old, I wanted a calmer dog with less prey drive, switched to an Anatolian. Totally different canine mindset, had to research as this dog was so very different, but awesome once this dumb human got edumacated about how their mind works.

If you ever want calm and protective look into live stock guardians. : )

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast