1060 users online (228 members and 832 guests)  

Websleuths News

U.S. tells computer users to disable Java software

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-...java-software/

WASHINGTON The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is advising people to temporarily disable the Java software on their computers to avoid potential hacking attacks.

The recommendation came in an advisory issued late Thursday, following up on concerns raised by computer security experts.

Read the US-CERT release concerning Java [link]

Experts believe hackers have found a flaw in Java's coding that creates an opening for criminal activity and other high-tech mischief.

CNET's Topher Kessler writes:

"The malware has currently been seen attacking Windows, Linux and Unix systems, and while so far has not focused on OS X, may be able to do so given OS X is largely similar to Unix and Java is cross-platform.

More at link.....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

LOL, the timing of this just made me snicker.

I work for DHS. What did I have to do earlier this week? Verify to HQ what version of Java was installed on my computer, since they're upgrading one of our programs and needed to make sure we all had at least a certain version of Java on our computers before the February upgrade.

Hmmmm, so here I am sitting and DHS and they sure didn't send any internal bulletins for us.

Love you, Littlest Little!

Thanks for posting this. I am not very good with this type of thing. I thought I had removed all Java several months ago. When I run a search, there are several Java files. I looked in the Security section and I don't find a Java control panel to disable the sucker...

In the last two days Essentials has caught two exploits.

Can somebody be clearer on how to disable???
    Last edited by lorann; 01-12-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    Some people try to turn back their odometers.
    Not me! I want people to know why I look this way.
    I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Don't hold hate in your heart, it takes up too much room

I have a new laptop, one week old. I searched for JAVA and am not finding anything but was sure it was on here when I bought it?

ETA found it, security changes made. Thanks for the heads up!
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Here are the official instructions, you can turn Java off completely through the "Java Control Panel" (this is the best thing to do!), or you can disable it one browser at a time:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help...le_browser.xml

And the test page, you want it to say "Something is wrong. Java is not working".
    http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp
    Do not click "Install plugin", since that's the exact plugin we're trying to avoid!

Then there are 2 additional things:

1. Many schools and businesses use programs written in Java. These are stand-alone programs that do not run in a web browser. To run these programs safely, you need JRE (Java Runtime Environment) turned on, but the Java browser plugins have to stay turned off. This is a difficult situation, and you'll need expert help with it.

2. "JavaScript" is a completely different programming language, and is not connected to this "Java" alert.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Here are the official instructions, you can turn Java off completely through the "Java Control Panel" (this is the best thing to do!), or you can disable it one browser at a time:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help...le_browser.xml

And the test page, you want it to say "Something is wrong. Java is not working".
    http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp
    Do not click "Install plugin", since that's the exact plugin we're trying to avoid!

Then there are 2 additional things:

1. Many schools and businesses use programs written in Java. These are stand-alone programs that do not run in a web browser. To run these programs safely, you need JRE (Java Runtime Environment) turned on, but the Java browser plugins have to stay turned off. This is a difficult situation, and you'll need expert help with it.

2. "JavaScript" is a completely different programming language, and is not connected to this "Java" alert.

Good luck!
    Thanks, I am soooo not a computer guru!
    Love you, Littlest Little!