1283 users online (267 members and 1016 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Critics divided over Duchess of Cambridge portrait

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...&cps=0&lang=en

LONDON (AP) — The Duchess of Cambridge seems to like her first official portrait, which is lucky for the artist. Many critics don't.............

Shortly after the portrait was unveiled Friday at the National Portrait Gallery in London, critics began grousing.

"It's a great, great opportunity missed," British Art Journal editor Robin Simon said. "The best thing you can say about it is that she doesn't actually look like that."

More at link.....

This is pic with article....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/ja...idge-portrait#

This article has a picture without the people in front and a video with the artist, Paul Emsley.

Quotes:

The duchess had slipped in with her husband before the gallery opened – mindful of the media scrum at the actual unveiling, which included television crews from Germany and Russia. "It's just amazing, I thought it was brilliant," she said.............

Experts were divided. The art critic Waldemar Januszczak was "disappointed". The duchess had been "let down" by "another pretty ordinary painting of a royal of the sort that we've really been churning out for the last few hundred years in Britain". The eyes lacked "sparkle" and "there's something rather dour about the face," he told BBC News. Robin Simon, British Art Journal editor, said simply it was "a rotten portrait".

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I think it does look like her...what am I missing...
    Just my opinion, of course.

She looks old, tired and it appears she's smirking.

Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    She looks old, tired and it appears she's smirking.

That's what I thought, too. In that respect, the portrait is almost Mona Lisa-ish in that the viewer isn't sure whether the subject is smiling sincerely or smirking.

Kate's face seems a little long and the left eye seems "lazy" and unfocused, but the hair is gorgeous and looks real.

I think it is beautiful.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

When I saw that thing (and before knowing critics were divided), I thought it was not flattering at all.
    Just my opinion

It has its dark charms - part classical, part what might be called mock-classical (think the 'Twilight' series). But also it looks sort of like it might have been hanging in a room with a large fireplace for a few centuries, and thus could stand a cleaning.

That can't be a real smile. Well, maybe the "beginning" of a smile, before it fully blooms. Or it looks like someone who is trying to suppress a smile.

And her eyes are pretty dead.

Very unflattering to such an otherwise beautiful, vibrant woman.

But maybe it has to do with palace protocol, and all that jazz.

Agreed - somehow the artist managed to completely eliminate Kate's prettiness.
    Just My Opinion, of course!

I think she looks quite pretty in it. It's an antidote to the flash and the glare of the tabloid photos and the repetition ad nauseum of those images.

I love the portrait. She looks very natural. I love the pursed lips. It is as someone above said Mona-Lisa-esque.
    YOU can help find missing persons by sharing missing person notices on your social media!

It does look very un-Diana-esque. Maybe that's the angle they were going for.

She's very beautiful; I just think this portrait doesn't do her justice.

Awful portrait.She looks old and bloated.The eyes look haggard.

Kate it Ain't!

Daily Mail has a few 'variations' on the portrait.....I love the Rowan Atkinson version lol.

(There's also a brief interview with the artist.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...portraits.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast