1271 users online (271 members and 1000 guests)  

Websleuths News

Mom admits fouling young daughter's IV

A woman accused of injecting human waste into her 21-month-old daughter pleaded guilty to two counts of battery Monday in Marion Superior Court. Tracie L. Fleck, 34, admitted injuring her daughter, Kennedy Fleck, in January 2004 while the toddler was a patient at Riley Hospital for Children...

The hospital's security camera videotaped Fleck tampering with her daughter's intravenous tube on Jan. 8, 2004. Police say they found a substance consistent with human waste in the child's IV, but Fleck said she was giving her daughter a combination of baby formula, water and a pancreas medicine in an effort to help the child... The injection caused an infection, court records show. The bacteria and fungus that caused the infection are the same germs found in fecal matter."

http://www.indystar.com/articles/1/222449-7461-009.html

I wonder why the baby had a feeding tube in the first place? Both the water and the formula wouldn't be sterile and therefore should not have been injected into the IV. And was the baby ordered on pancreas medicine by the doctor? Mom should have guessed that formula was not made to be put directly into the bloodstream. Mom was full of chit!
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Sounds like a typical case of Munchausen Syndrome -- Parents (usually mothers) who intentionally harm their children for the attention. The child was probably in the hospital for other ailments caused by the mother. My guess is that the hospital staff suspected the mother and set up the camera to catch her in the act. Good for them!

"It appears the lady was trying to assist her child when she couldn't get a response from the medical personnel at Riley," defense attorney Tom Leslie said.

And she mistook the toilet for the bag of medication?

Btw-interesting use of the term "fouling". Don't hear that (thankfully) too often.