1135 users online (205 members and 930 guests)  

Websleuths News

IA - Thomas Dougherty, 45, Sioux City, 12 Jan 1961

52 years after Sioux City man vanished, family still yearns for answers
    January 11, 2013

Thomas Myles Dougherty went missing 52 years ago. His family still grieves, wondering whatever happened to the Sioux City man who lost both arms fighting in World War II.

Dougherty, 45, was last seen on Lower Fourth Street in Sioux City during the early morning hours of Jan. 12, 1961. No trace of him, or his specially outfitted Ford Tudor, has ever been found.

Read more: http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/loc...ment_form=true

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/Wh2OO

Don't believe EVERYTHING you think.

Thomas Myles Dougherty
    Age at Report: 45 YOA
    DOB: September 29, 1915
    Height: 6’0″
    Weight: 145-150 lbs.
    Build: Slender
    Hair: Thinning, Graying-Brown
    Eyes: Light Blue
    Complexion: Medium to Ruddy
    Race: White
    Nationality: American of Irish Descent
    Physical features: Double Amputee; wears prosthetic devices (“hooks”) of metal on both arms
    Missing from: Sioux City, IA
    Woodbury County
    Missing Since: January 12, 1961

Dressed in gray pants, black shoes, his gray hat and a gray zippered jacket over his shirt, he got into his 1954 dark green Tudor Ford with the white sidewalls in front and black mud and snow grips on the rear, and drove to one of his favorite Sioux City diners — the Metropolitan Café — for his morning breakfast. He spoke with a few regulars, had his breakfast, and then walked out the door.

Neither he nor his car — Iowa license plate number 97-11426 — were ever seen again.

Read more: http://iowacoldcases.org/case-summar...les-dougherty/

[bbm above -- photo at link]

A photo of Thomas in his Army uniform:

This must mean that Thomas had his amputations done after he was discharged from the army.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Clayton View Post
    A photo of Thomas in his Army uniform:

This must mean that Thomas had his amputations done after he was discharged from the army.
    Or the amputations were due to warfare or a military training exercise.

Anyone know?

Depression and suicide are a possibility here.

I thought of suicide as well, or the possibility of an accident since the vehicle is missing too. How adept was he at driving with the prosthetic hooks? Is there a large body of water in the vicinity? I am thinking maybe both car and driver ended up in water from an accident. Or lets say a tire blew out, how well could he have handled the car with his disability?

Quote Originally Posted by dogperson View Post
    I thought of suicide as well, or the possibility of an accident since the vehicle is missing too. How adept was he at driving with the prosthetic hooks? Is there a large body of water in the vicinity? I am thinking maybe both car and driver ended up in water from an accident. Or lets say a tire blew out, how well could he have handled the car with his disability?
    The Missouri River is the western border for Iowa and depending on the water levels and currents he could have been swept far down river and by now be buried in mud.

~Mel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD