MO - Father, two sons, 10 and 8, die on Ozark hiking trail in Reynolds County

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Father, two sons from Millstadt die on Ozark hiking trail (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
REYNOLDS COUNTY, Mo. • A father and his two sons from Millstadt died from the cold over Saturday night on the Ozark Trail in Reynolds County, Mo., authorities said Sunday.

They were found Sunday morning in the daylight on the bluffs near Black, Mo., with their 4-month-old Labrador retriever, Bear, beside them. David Decareaux, 36, was pronounced dead at the scene by Reynolds County Coroner Jeff McSpadden. The two boys — Dominic, 10, and Grant, 8 — were carried out of the woods while CPR was administered. They died about 2 p.m. Sunday at a hospital in Ellington, Mo.
---
Reynolds County Sheriff Tom Volner said the Decareaux family had traveled to Reynolds County for a family trip and to go hiking. David Decareaux was accompanied by his wife and their five children.
---
“When they took off in the morning, it was near 60 degrees,” Volner said. David Decareaux had on a light jacket, one son wore a fleece pullover and the other a sweater, the sheriff said.

“They were last seen by a passer-by at about 2 p.m. (Saturday) on top of Sutton’s Bluff,” Volner said. “At the time it was raining, and the passer-by asked if they needed a ride. David told the gentleman they could make it back.”

During the course of the day, heavy rain set in, and at night the temperature plummeted. Trails became impassable.
---
It had rained all night, and when the hikers were found, they were soaking wet. Temperatures had dropped into the 20s.
---
more at the link

Good Lord, a body never knows what the day will bring. Prayers for this family.

How horrible....glad the wife and other 3 children were not with them....

I wonder why he didnt accept the ride. It was already raining. Poor kids. :rose:

What a tragic end to what was supposed to be a surprise camping weekend for the family. I can't imagine how far anyone would hike with an eight and ten year old. If they couldn't return when it turned cold they must have been awfully far away.

Here in New Mexico temps can easily drop 30 degrees at night- more if it's raining. Newbies to the area are always reminded to layer their clothing.

:heartbeat:

This is so very sad.

I nor my family members are hikers. However, with his two sons ages eight and ten year olds as part of the hiking party and the temperature being near 60 degrees when they left their cabin site (which is cold), it seems they would have carried appropriate clothing for colder weather and rain. Maybe even a bed roll. I'm just thinking ...

And, wonder why he declined the ride with the passer-by at 2 pm unless he felt that person might have represented a threat to he and his sons?

Prayers to the loved ones. :please:

And, wonder why he declined the ride with the passer-by at 2 pm unless he felt that person might have represented a threat to he and his sons?

Prayers to the loved ones. :please:

It's incredibly sad... clearly the person who offered the lift came forward and spoke to police, they must feel terrible.

Woman eulogizes husband, sons who died on hike

"The widow of an Air Force veteran who died with two of their young sons during a Missouri hike told mourners she's comforted knowing her husband and boys were "together until the very last moment."

"Sarah Decareaux tried hard to find the words to say and not cry as she stood near the three caskets inside the Illinois funeral home Friday."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/1...o-died-on-hike/?test=latestnews#ixzz2IPq4vA18

Can't get this family out of my thoughts. Relayed the story to others through tears... How did that dog live? What did he see... how do you go on? just so so sad... my heart breaks fot this family.

However, with his two sons ages eight and ten year olds as part of the hiking party and the temperature being near 60 degrees when they left their cabin site (which is cold), it seems they would have carried appropriate clothing for colder weather and rain. Maybe even a bed roll. I'm just thinking ...

RSBM

I am local and have been to this park many many times. Honestly 60 degrees for us is not cold, it's really beautiful! Here in IL/MO our winters get down to and below freezing (regularly) so to have a 60 degree day in January it feels like summer. I was sitting outside with short sleeves, capris and no jacket that day.

We were forecasted to have a huge drop in temperatures and rain that weekend, however it happened much earlier than originally expected.

My heart hurts for this family. Praying for peace for Sarah Decareaux and her children.

...it seems they would have carried appropriate clothing for colder weather and rain. Maybe even a bed roll. I'm just thinking ...

Chances are it was the rain that got them, if they had stayed dry and not gotten soaked through they probably could have survived the night time temps, it would have been unpleasant but not likely deadly (sadly even a few garbage bags could have kept them from getting soaked through).

As far as why he declined the ride, I doubt if he thought the person looked like a threat (that is a woman's thinking), for a man it could have easily been the pride that says "no we are fine, I know what we're doing". Generally state parks and the like are filled with very nice safe people with no crime (and the occasional ax murderer, but that is very very rare).

Heartbreaking. A loving family, who's parents were involved and active within their childrens lives. God bless the family members left behind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back