Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AZ - Kaitlin Kenney, 21, missing from Grand Canyon River Trip, 11 Jan 2013

AZ - Kaitlin Kenney, 21, missing from Grand Canyon River Trip, 11 Jan 2013

A 21-year-old woman from Englewood, Colo., disappeared over the weekend during a river trip through the Grand Canyon.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...yon-river-trip

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to LisaCougar For This Useful Post:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - The mother of a 21-year-old Englewood woman who disappeared Friday on a river trip through the Grand Canyon writes on Facebook that Kaitlin Anne Kenney is "with the angels."

Authorities, however, have only said that they are searching for Kenney.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...yon-river-trip

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LisaCougar For This Useful Post:

Englewood woman reported missing on Ariz. river trip

http://www.coloradoan.com/viewart/20...riz-river-trip

6:14 AM, Jan 15, 2013

<snipped>
    Ground-based search crews intensified their efforts Monday in the Tapeats Creek area.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

Mom of missing Englewood woman speaks out

http://www.9news.com/news/article/31...man-speaks-out

10:57 PM, Jan 14, 2013

<snipped>
    Linnea Kenney, the woman's mother, said she believes her daughter did not survive when she accidentally fell into the frigid cold water.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

UPDATED: Search for Woman Missing Near Grand Canyon Scaled Back

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/...aled-back.html

By Associated Press on Wed, Jan 16, 2013
    POSTED: 7:06 am

GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. (AP) Authorities are scaling back the search for a Colorado woman reported missing from a private river trip in Grand Canyon National Park.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

why the assumption she drowned? or ended up in the water at all?
    "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
    - E. B. White

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AzPistonsGirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AzPistonsGirl View Post
    My assumption is that that's what the friends must have said, considering the mother wasn't there. If it was dark and they were camped close to the water, it is a reasonable explanation, though I would personally want quite a bit more searching done before I came to that conclusion.
    Last edited by orangesandapples; 01-16-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: missed a word

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to orangesandapples For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AzPistonsGirl View Post
    Where else would she go? We did a one day rafting trip down the Colorado and our guide was telling us about these month long trips. In some spots he said a helicopter can't even get in to rescue someone who is critically injured - the only way out is to keep going down the river.

If there's nowhere to go from their camp site except into the water, then she couldn't have survived long. The water temperature is barely above freezing in the middle of July, much less in January. And if she fell in but managed to pull herself out onto a rock, she probably would have died quickly (but they may have found her body by now). It is bitterly cold and icy there, with nighttime temps in the teens.

I cannot imagine the pain, but it sounds like her mother has a very realistic view of the situation.
    Please help find Gerry Largay, 66, missing on the Appalachian Trail in Maine.
    http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article/25...ssing-in-Maine

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to angelmom For This Useful Post:

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wolf Dreamer For This Useful Post:

How does a 21-year-old just accidentally walk through shallow water into the deepest rushing water without knowing she was headed into dangerous rushing water? Why would she do this in the middle of the night? Odd. She had to be wasted, mentally ill, or someone assisted her disappearance. Why is her mom so certain that her daughter's disappearance is not foul play?
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/15...o-disappeared/

20. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Pensfan For This Useful Post:

Moving this thread to the Discussion forum

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pensfan View Post
    How does a 21-year-old just accidentally walk through shallow water into the deepest rushing water without knowing she was headed into dangerous rushing water? Why would she do this in the middle of the night? Odd. She had to be wasted, mentally ill, or someone assisted her disappearance. Why is her mom so certain that her daughter's disappearance is not foul play?
    I agree. I mean, I get it if she fell out of a raft but she got up in the middle of the night, waded into the water and drowned? What am I missing?
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear." - N. Mandela

24. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to pdxmama For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pensfan View Post
    I would say it's quite possible she got up in the middle of the night to go pee, and in the darkness fell into the river. For some reason, when I camp, I ALWAYS have to get up, put on shoes, and go outside the tent to pee.

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    I would say it's quite possible she got up in the middle of the night to go pee, and in the darkness fell into the river. For some reason, when I camp, I ALWAYS have to get up, put on shoes, and go outside the tent to pee.
    Many people are found deceased in the numerous rivers in Pittsburgh. I have never read about a sober, mentally health adult that accidentally walked into one of these rivers and died.

Naturally created rivers have a border of shallow water before dropping off to deeper depths. When Kaitlin first stepped into the shallow water, it is logical to think that she would have backed up or turned around instead of proceeding to walk into the deepest part of the river. In addition, the increasingly noisy river sound should have warned Kaitlin that she was dangerously close to the river.

Something is odd about the assumption that she just accidentally walked into the river, IMO.

28. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Pensfan For This Useful Post:

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmama View Post
    I agree. I mean, I get it if she fell out of a raft but she got up in the middle of the night, waded into the water and drowned? What am I missing?
    This is really odd. Who would go wade into a creek in the middle of the night in the Grand Canyon in January?!? Any grogginess would evaporate with the first contact your big toe made with the frigid water. Has anyone said they saw her go in the water? I'd be more inclined to think she wandered off and got injured/disoriented. Something is off here.

OT: We visited the Grand Canyon this year for the first time (it is amazing btw - pictures do it no justice). Being the WS'er that I am, I bought a huge book that chronicles deaths at the Grand Canyon. It's very intriguing - but I hope Kaitlin doesn't make into a revision someday...
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

30. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Now I'm having visions of that camping/hiking trip movie where one of the hikers was a murderer and picked them off one by one. (Really, when you go on a group trip, you don't know who these other people are who signed up. Wonder if they have looked at everyone carefully?)

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

32. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    This is really odd. Who would go wade into a creek in the middle of the night in the Grand Canyon in January?!? Any grogginess would evaporate with the first contact your big toe made with the frigid water. Has anyone said they saw her go in the water? I'd be more inclined to think she wandered off and got injured/disoriented. Something is off here.

OT: We visited the Grand Canyon this year for the first time (it is amazing btw - pictures do it no justice). Being the WS'er that I am, I bought a huge book that chronicles deaths at the Grand Canyon. It's very intriguing - but I hope Kaitlin doesn't make into a revision someday...
    Ha ha! I bought the same book at Yellowstone! All those people trying to pet bears...
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear." - N. Mandela

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pdxmama For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmama View Post
    Ha ha! I bought the same book at Yellowstone! All those people trying to pet bears...
    At the GC, many of them were trying to get a cool picture from the edge of the rim...

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

I had a friend that has done a river trip in the GC. She said they have to carry out everything...so they want them to pee in the water....leave no trace theory to disturb nature as little as possible. Maybe she did go to pee and slipped in the water and fell backwards....

38. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to terracotta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by terracotta View Post
    I had a friend that has done a river trip in the GC. She said they have to carry out everything...so they want them to pee in the water....leave no trace theory to disturb nature as little as possible. Maybe she did go to pee and slipped in the water and fell backwards....
    Carrying your trash out of the canyon makes sense, but I really hope she wasn't in the river at night to urinate.

Any MALE that tells females to walk out through slippery, uneven rocks into the Colorado river to urinate (Skull fracture, anyone?) needs many swift kicks in the bum, IMO. As soon as all the other mammals are required to pee in the dangerous Colorado river, the human visitors should too. Human urine has the same components as bear urine, bobcat urine, deer urine, rabbit urine and etc... All mammals' urine is 95% water .

40. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Pensfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    snipped and BBM -

I agree, I imagined her yelling out - screaming - something vocal if she had fallen in to the cold water; if she lost her footing and slipped. However, if she slipped and hit her head hard, maybe no sound. ??

I don't understand why her mom is so quick to say she's with the angels though, I wouldn't give up so quickly. JMO and IMHO and all that...

42. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Maiko For This Useful Post:

Here is some more info... Seems like she was quite experienced with hiking/camping, even though this was her first trip rafting the Colorado River.

The 21-year-old woman who graduated from Cherry Creek High School and was studying anthropology and American Indian cultures at the University of Montana was half-way into a monthlong river trip at the Grand Canyon

Read more here: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2013/01...#storylink=cpy

44. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

no one saw or heard her fall into the water -unless there were footprints how do they know this is what happened?
    -Beth In Alaska

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BethInAK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by terracotta View Post

this was my guess - you throw on your boots and squat in the water in the shallows - maybe she stepped into a hole and down (and off) she went
    -Beth In Alaska

48. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BethInAK For This Useful Post:

I think it is likely that Kaitlin had some kind of accident during the night or early morning hours. However, I find it much more probably that she took an early morning walk/hike and something happened that way, rather than fell in the river while going to the potty.

And I'm still not discounting the small chance that a fellow camper did something - I really don't think that's what happened but I do think it is possible.

50. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast