Gay community hails Foster's halting Globes speech

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?id=19256719&ps=1011&cat=&cps=0&lang=en

NEW YORK (AP) — Was it a proud revelation, or an impassioned case for privacy? A coming-out speech, or a why-SHOULD-I-come-out speech? Too little and too late, or just enough?

Jodie Foster's rambling, fascinating and intensely personal remarks at the Golden Globes were not merely the watercooler moment of the ceremony. They were a big moment for the gay community, and many advocates — though not all — were cheering her on Monday for finally referring publicly to her sexual orientation, albeit in her own particular way.

While some were criticizing the actress for not uttering the words "gay" or "lesbian," and for waiting decades to come out at all, others were saying she deserved to come out in any way she chose, and with any words she happened to favor.

More at link.....

I am happy for Jodie. She can choose to announce things (or not announce) anyway she likes.

Jodie et al should not have to utter the words, gay or lesbian to anyone. Like Jovi Girl said - she can announce any which way she wants to

Do you disclose heterosexual to your world?

Jodie et al should not have to utter the words, gay or lesbian to anyone. Like Jovi Girl said - she can announce any which way she wants to

Exactly! That's what I said to a prejudiced relative who accused my son of choosing to be gay...I asked him, did you choose to be heterosexual? He shut up then.

Jodie Foster's sexuality has been common knowledge for decades, despite her decision to remain the very private person she has always been. Why does she owe ANYONE, especially Hollywood's "gay mafia," some sort of public declaration? Her under-the-radar, scandal-free existence has been a breath of fresh air in an industry polluted with endless sex-and-drug idiocy and excess. When Melissa Etheridge spoke out about her homosexuality back in the '90s, it was big news, but in 2013, "outing" someone has no political or social meaning; it is more like bullying.

Bless you and thank you Jodie.

Thank you for choosing to disclose your orientation. There are certainly many young people who may benefit from your choice to disclose.

And bless you for choosing to do it defiantly manner as in "why do I have to do this, and exactly what business is it of yours anyway?"

Because at the end of the day it's no one's concern but yours and who you chose to love. I am hoping for the day when speculation about anyone's orientation is unneeded because everyone in the LBGTQ community is accepted and loved because of the content of their character, their spirit, and their heart.

Thanks again!

Yes, you do, actually. In at least a thousand ways, including every time you mention your opposite-sex spouse, fiance, boyfriend or girlfriend. In states without gay marriage, you advertise your heterosexuality every time you talk about your dream wedding, etc. and so forth.

Now, personally, I haven't cared about Jodie Foster's private life since, well, forever. But let's don't pretend that heterosexuals don't do a lot of "flaunting".

Jodie Foster's sexuality has been common knowledge for decades, despite her decision to remain the very private person she has always been. Why does she owe ANYONE, especially Hollywood's "gay mafia," some sort of public declaration? Her under-the-radar, scandal-free existence has been a breath of fresh air in an industry polluted with endless sex-and-drug idiocy and excess. When Melissa Etheridge spoke out about her homosexuality back in the '90s, it was big news, but in 2013, "outing" someone has no political or social meaning; it is more like bullying.

It can't be both: either it HAS political and social meaning, or it is no big deal and, therefore, not bullying.

And what does the so-called "gay mafia" have to do with it? Who are the members and how do I sign up for benefits?

Just sayin'...

For the record, I'd like to know who polled the "gay community" and quoted it in the original link? On sites I frequent that have a lot of gay posters, people were pretty annoyed with Foster's equivocation. "Either say it or don't" was the most common response.

And it's not like she didn't know she'd be giving an acceptance speech.

Of course, bringing noted homophobe, abuser and anti-Semite Mel Gibson as your date doesn't help.

Personally, I forgot the show was on and didn't see it. And I really don't care at this late date in Foster's (and my own) life. I've never felt that Foster put a lot of effort into appearing to be heterosexual for the benefit of the press, so I didn't think she was a hypocrite for valuing her privacy.

But I question whether the "gay community" is applauding much.

Exactly! That's what I said to a prejudiced relative who accused my son of choosing to be gay...I asked him, did you choose to be heterosexual? He shut up then.

With respect, "choosing" sexual orientation is a completely different issue. And it's a myth, of course, a propaganda ploy by the homophobic right.

In contrast, "coming out" is a choice. And the idea that gay people need to stand up and be counted is a political position, one with which I agree vehemently in terms of most people.

When it comes to individuals, however, I do understand that coming out can seem like exchanging one lie ("I am straight.") for another ("I am all the stereotypes that attach to the word 'gay'.").

And I try not to judge too harshly except in cases of rank hypocrisy. As I wrote above, I have never felt Foster was such a case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back