Audubon Nature Institute and San Diego Zoo announce Alliance for Sustainable Wildlife

wishuwerehere

Reaction score
http://www.nola.com/pets/index.ssf/2013/01/audubon_nature_institute_and_s.html#incart_m-rpt-2

The Audubon Nature Institute and San Diego Zoo Global on Tuesday morning announced a groundbreaking partnership, called the Alliance for Sustainable Wildlife, that could help rebuild threatened species for generations to come. The partnership's 1,000-acre breeding site in Algiers, which will be one of the largest in the United States, is based on the model that certain animals will more easily breed, and will breed with more genetic diversity, when they can roam in large herds or flocks.

"Habitat around the world is being destroyed and we have a road to change that," said Audubon President and CEO Ron Forman. "This is a model for zoos in the future, as we hope other zoos will join in similar collaboration efforts."

Threatened animals such as the Mississippi Sandhill crane, African eland and bongos already call the research center home. Masai giraffes, okapis, cranes, pelicans and sable and roan antelopes will be some of the first to take up residence.

More at link.

Well, the sandhill cranes are doing very well here in Florida. They are all over our neighborhood with lots and lots of little ones. I remember how few there were at one point. They seem to nest just about anywhere around here.

I'm so happy to see that steps are being taken regarding animals that are getting close to extinction.

I own an aquaculture facility and we're currently working off NOAA's newest recommendation for 66 corals they are thinking about moving to red list. We're getting as many specimans as we can (currently in aquaculture, not from the wild) and focusing a large part of our farm on just those particular species.

Well, the sandhill cranes are doing very well here in Florida. They are all over our neighborhood with lots and lots of little ones. I remember how few there were at one point. They seem to nest just about anywhere around here.

I'm so happy to see that steps are being taken regarding animals that are getting close to extinction.

I own an aquaculture facility and we're currently working off NOAA's newest recommendation for 66 corals they are thinking about moving to red list. We're getting as many specimans as we can (currently in aquaculture, not from the wild) and focusing a large part of our farm on just those particular species.

Keep up the good work!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd