AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - # 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Brittney-Wood-002.jpg

MOBILE COUNTY, Ala. (WALA) - A missing person report has been filed with the Mobile Police Department for 19-year-old Brittney Wood.

Wood's family said, the last they heard, she was going to visit her uncle near the Styx river area.

(snip)

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_news/mobile_county/missing-person-report-filed-on-teen

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/jun/07/tillmans-corner-teen-missing-for-a-week-30359-vi-132971/

Verified Members in the Brittney Wood case
Zeaux is a verified insider
One90Proof is a verified insider

Local Media Links (thank you, gliving)

www.wkrg.com

www.local15tv.com

www.fox10tv.com/

http://www.al.com/press-register/

http://www.northmobilepost.com/

AL - Brittney Wood 19, Mobile, 5/31/12 Media Links, Timeline, Maps *NO DISCUSSION*

AL - Brittney Wood CASE FACTS ONLY **NO DISCUSSION**

Previous Threads
Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6

A reminder of tomorrow's hearings. Thanks for the graphic ChattyWoman!

attachment.php

Reedus, I was thinking more of collecting along the lines of DK (his banking, if he has it even, history will resolve exactly what his assets are/where the money is coming from-usually!!!-and what he has spent it on. I also believe RSW may have assets that can be seized, if they won't Already be by the state as during criminal procedures it is common to seize any and all assets involved in the execution of a felony. As for establishing death, it would take a good 7 years of being reported legally missing to file for her to officially be declared dead. Though again I pray she is alive, that would provide much needed SSI survivor benefits for her precious daughter as from what I understand she did not relinquish ALL parental rights. I know firsthand the surviving parent can collect death benefits for their child even if the deceased parent did not have full custody, as my father had only supervised visits with me when he committed suicide, and my mother was still able to collect. I do agree with you however that unless CW hit the lottery or actually received some of that money going towards legal fees and bonds, she would never be able to afford counsel. Unless maybe just maybe perhaps an unknown benefactor stepped in. Also now that I really think about it, I don't think CW deserves to file for wrongful death; the person who is raising and caring for PH does.

FootballMom, job WELL done. I followed your leads and I figured out who you mean quite easily. You are not only an angel but a very organized and awesome Sleuther as well!!

Bessie, thank you for the edit and the attention you pay to making sure that those who are not involved do not have their names splattered all over the interweb. I apologize for my slip up, it was very late night and I have been a busy B lately ;)

Praying for some answers tomorrow, and for PH's father in coping with the details and the stress he must be enduring during all of this.. Imagine having to tell this tale to your child one day. My mom had to gracefully and through time share the gritty details of my dad's life and death with me (which involved a murder that was protected under "castle law" and a suicide) and has shared with me how very hard it was on her to find the right words to share the truth without perpetuating negative feelings towards my dad. A very delicate balance indeed and she is an amazing woman for raising myself and my siblings the way she has after going through such a nightmare. I hope that Britt's sweet daughter and her father share a great bond from this that guides her through her life.
As always, JMO

Unless Alabama is different, wrongful death civil suits are taken on a contingency basis by attorneys where they receive a percentage of any award so CW wouldn't have to come up with any money out of pocket for an attorney to file a civil suit. In a situation such as this though, where there is no insurance monies involved and it doesn't involve a large corporation, attorneys would want to know that a judgment is collectible and would run asset checks on any individuals of interest. The details of an asset search are scary in the information that is able to be obtained about a person. Unless that individual (not their family) has significant assets an attorney simply isn't going to take the case because getting a judgment for $1,000,000 is meaningless if the person has $100 to their name, in which case the lawyer will make $33.33(Goldman's are still trying to collect from Simpson). Beyond that, if they don't have significant assets, they will be able to simply file bankruptcy in most cases.

The biggest advantage of filing a civil suit, in my estimation, wouldn't be seeking a monetary award, but would be the subpoena power that comes with it. You would have access to information that one may not otherwise have, such as phone records from the different companies. Typically, that subpoena power still won't gain you access to LE investigative files though. I would also suspect that a lawyer would only handle such a situation on an hourly basis, unless one could be found to do it pro bono.

is it weird that they are all scheduled at the same exact time? Also, I am guessing the setting date is -to set a date for trial?

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_news/mobile_county/sex-investigation-suspects-face-hearing

Wednesday, 16 Jan 2013, 1:23 PM CST
"MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) - Some of the relatives of missing Baldwin County mother Brittney Wood had appearances in court today.

Dustin Kent, Derek Wood, Randall Scott Wood, Donald Holland, Jr. all face various sex crime charges. Wendy Wood Holland also made a court appearance for child endangerment charges."

snip

"FOX10 News Reporter John Rogers will have more on this story today at 4 p.m."

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/mobile_county/sex-investigation-suspects-face-hearing

Sex crimes suspects face hearing in Mobile County courtroom
Suspects are relatives of missing Brittney Wood

Updated: Wednesday, 16 Jan 2013, 4:56 PM CST

snip

<modsnip>

On Wednesday, a number of these suspects had court appearances. Brittney's brother, Derek Wood and her aunt, Wendy Holland, were both appointed attorneys.

We also learned Brittney's uncles- Randall Scott Wood and Dustin Kent, both waived their arraignments and pleaded not guilty.

Fox10 News confirmed through court documents that Brittney's cousin- Donald Holland, Junior, has filed for youthful offender status.

Brittney Wood's mother Chessie Wood was in court supporting her son Derek.

<modsnip>

In the meantime, Brittney&#8217;s cousin, Donald Holland, Jr. has a court date set for April, and on Thursday, family friend William Brownlee will be in court."

"She (Chessie Wood) said, "My daughter's missing. I wish my son could be out there helping me look for her. 'Cuz he has friends that I don't. They were very tight, he probably could take me to places I don't know about."

IIRC, he WAS out and didn't do squat. MOO

I'll be over here sitting on my hands until I can think of something positive to type. :fence:

Wow. The smiles on Derek and Wendy's faces as they sat in court. Laughing. Smiling. WHAT. ON. EARTH.

Have Wendy's other charges been dropped, or were they just solely focusing on the Child Endangerment charge today instead of the additional charges? Sexual torture, etc.?

Hello all! I finished reading all the previous threads the other day and it took a day or so to just comprehend and get past the pure shock of all that unfolded. You guys have done a great job with mapping everyone and presenting some great theories on how to find BW!!! I truly hope these trials can shed some light on where she is. :(

I did have one question, since I am pretty new to the site.... I know the basic rules, but are we allowed to use genealogy research to possibly narrow down where she may have gone if she Was able to get away and there Was family not in the immediate area? Is using public records like obituaries and marriage licenses if the parties are no longer living still considered sleuthing innocent people? I didn't see anyone on here to message but will alert this post if I can for myself.

Thanks! Keep up the great work!
Moo

Welcome, MrsTigglesworth. I'm afraid the answer is no. We can't sleuth family members who haven't been named in MSM.

Have Wendy's other charges been dropped, or were they just solely focusing on the Child Endangerment charge today instead of the additional charges? Sexual torture, etc.?

Without looking at the court documents, my guess is today was just for the one charge and the other charges will have their own date. I wouldn't read into today's hearing that the other charges have been dropped.

Wow. The smiles on Derek and Wendy's faces as they sat in court. Laughing. Smiling. WHAT. ON. EARTH.

It may not be fair to judge in such a way, but every time I see her in Court I see evil as in she'd be right at home with Manson family evil.

I don't get her brothers, they did seem close from looking at MySpace and facebook before...yet they both never did anything for Brittney while she is gone

Sorry but I don't see anything but snickering from WWH and DK. And crocodile tears from CW. I just don't buy it anymore.

Sorry but I don't see anything but snickering from WWH and DK. And crocodile tears from CW. I just don't buy it anymore.

As Chessie began talking about Brittney it sounded like she was going to have a breakdown. As soon as she mentioned "her brother" (Britt's brother, Derek), her tone of voice completely changed - like a mother who is upset that her son is still in jail (where he belongs, IMHO). If her emotion about Britt is real (in the video) how did she just turn it off? I don't get it, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44