Another malfunction for Boeing 787 Dreamliner; ANA flight w/137 aboard lands safely

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Just in:
Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters
FLASH: Smoke in ANA's Boeing 787 appeared in cockpit; all 129 passengers, 8 crew members were evacuated safely - Osaka airport spokesman
FLASH: Takamatsu airport runway closed after ANA flight's emergency landing - Osaka airport spokesman
FLASH; ANA-operated Boeing 787 instruments indicated battery malfunction before emergency landing - Kyodo
usnews.com article from earlier today, before incident above:
---
A rash of recent problems with the 787, which first went into service in 2011, includes a cracked windshield on one flight, an oil leak on another flight, and two sizeable fuel leaks that occurred on the tarmac at different airports. For the most part, safety experts say those types of problems are typical of a new jet, especially one like the 787 that's technologically advanced and requires a few years of service to work out the kinks.

But government officials are more concerned about a fire that erupted in early January on an empty Japan Airlines 787 parked at Logan airport in Boston, involving a type of lithium-ion battery that's new to airliners. Lithium-ion batteries—used to power cell phones, laptops and even the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid sedan—are appealing because they generate more energy than other types of batteries. But they can also get very hot, which makes them more prone to fire. Boeing uses lithium-ion battery packs to crank up the auxiliary power units on the 787, which provides power to the plane when the engines are off. It was apparently one of those battery packs that ignited in Boston, sparking a blaze that took fire crews 40 minutes to extinguish.
---
more at the link

(Reuters) - A Boeing 787 operated by All Nippon Airways Co made an emergency landing in Takamatsu in western Japan after smoke appeared in the plane's cockpit, but all 137 passengers and crew members were evacuated safely, the Osaka Airport said on Wednesday.

The incident comes on top of a slew of recent problems with Boeing's new Dreamliner aircraft. The sophisticated new plane, the world's first mainly carbon-composite airliner, suffered two fuel leaks, a battery fire, a wiring problem, brake computer glitch and cracked cockpit window last week.
---
more at the link: http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/ri...another-wrong-turn-for-boeings-787-dreamliner

FAA grounds Boeing Dreamliner jets

http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ing-dreamliner-787-emergency-landing/1837943/

The Federal Aviation Administration issued an emergency order late Wednesday telling U.S. airlines to stop flying Boeing 787 Dreamliners until they can prove that batteries on board are safe.

It's a major blow for Boeing and its sophisticated new jetliner that's made largely from lightweight carbon composite material, which allows airlines.to save on fuel and which passengers like for its airy cabins.

The action came the same day a smoldering battery forced the emergency landing in Japan of an All Nippon Airways plane. That incident followed a fire Jan. 7 aboard an empty Japan Airlines 787 at Boston's Logan airport..............more at link..........

you couldn't pay me to fly on the nightmareliner!

I hear you, blue. If anyone ever hears of me taking a trip on one of these planes, please have me medicated somewhere safe....

I am scared of these new planes. Not that the older ones had a lot of metal to protect you in a crash, but these have even less...And the batteries...:what:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back