$118,000 = 1:18 A.m. = T.o.d.?

BlueCrab

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The absolutely bizarre ransom amount of $118,000 asked for in the Ramsey ransom note has had everyone scratching their heads for years now. It HAS to be a message of some kind. Here's one theory:

It was the killer's method of documenting the time of death. The $118,000 meant that JonBenet died at 1:18 A.M.

The 1:18 A.M. time of death, judging from the body being in full rigor when found at 1:05 P.M on the 26th, would fit the generally accepted estimate of full rigor occurring about 12 hours after death.

If this theory is true, it would mean the killer of JonBenet was likely surreptitiously documenting the T.O.D. for the benefit of others, such as the rest of the members of the "small foreign faction" referred to in the ransom note. It would be the killer's proof to others that he was the one who tortured and killed JonBenet because he documented a detail of the crime no one else knew.

It would also likely mean that the initials S.B.T.C, as a signoff signature at the end of the ransom note, further surreptitiously identified him, and perhaps his accomplices, to the rest of the members of the faction in order for him/them to be awarded credit for the killing.

As you've probably figured out by now, this theory easily fits into my Asian Pacific American Coalition (APAC) theory. APAC, a pro-active ultra liberal 29-member political group which operated out of Colorado University, awarded points to its members for acts that benefited Asian Americans. A certain number of points were needed each year to maintain membership in APAC.

One of the concerns of APAC were the perceived injustices to Asian-American women in the U.S., especially violent crimes such as rapes and murders that have gone unsolved. APAC, despite having scheduled programs and speakers for its 1997 season, suspiciously disbanded just weeks after the murder of JonBenet.

To the best of my knowledge, APAC has never been investigated, nor have any of its members ever been interviewed.

So was the bizarre $118,000 and the mysterious S.B.T.C really cryptographic messages to others? If so, APAC should be thoroughly investigated.

BlueCrab

Bluecrab,
Is the Coalition of Asian Americans (CAPA) the same as the coalition you are refering to or are they a different organisation?

Firstpage said:
Bluecrab,
Is the Coalition of Asian Americans (CAPA) the same as the coalition you are refering to or are they a different organisation?

Firstpage,

No, they are a different organization. The Coalition of Asian Pacific Americans (CAPA) is a coalition of groups and individuals.

The Asian Pacific American Coalition (APAC) at Colorado University was an independant group of individuals. There are other APAC goups in colleges around the country, but they are connected in name only.

BlueCrab,

Just a question and meaning no disrespect, if I understand you correctly, you say the killer may have elected to provide privileged information in the note (which was likely to become widely disseminated) as a way of providing his compadres with proof that he/she was the killer. Since only the killer would know the time of death, how could his compadres know for sure that the information they were being provided via the note was correct? How could they corroborate it? The time of death wasn't definitively established. I believe the coroner (bless his soul) estimated it at somewhere between midnight and 6 AM (or thereabouts). It would have been helpful, in terms of collaboration, if he had inscribed 1:18 AM on the child's body. Then your theory would not only fly, it would SOAR!

It's an interesting idea that the killer may have been trying to communicate with his cohorts via the note; interesting indeed. I can see a new book on the horizon.

RedChief said:
BlueCrab,

Just a question and meaning no disrespect, if I understand you correctly, you say the killer may have elected to provide privileged information in the note (which was likely to become widely disseminated) as a way of providing his compadres with proof that he/she was the killer. Since only the killer would know the time of death, how could his compadres know for sure that the information they were being provided via the note was correct? How could they corroborate it? The time of death wasn't definitively established. I believe the coroner (bless his soul) estimated it at somewhere between midnight and 6 AM (or thereabouts). It would have been helpful, in terms of collaboration, if he had inscribed 1:18 AM on the child's body. Then your theory would not only fly, it would SOAR!

It's an interesting idea that the killer may have been trying to communicate with his cohorts via the note; interesting in deed. I can see a new book on the horizon.

RedChief,

In this theory the killer didn't want the world to know what $118,000 really meant. Being more straightforward about the time of death might be too revealing and risky. He wanted only his APAC members to know what the clue meant so he could prove to his comrades that he killed JonBenet.

The killer, in this theory a "loose cannon" in APAC, knew the note and its contents would be crime scene evidence and likely not immediately disclosed to the public. And he also knew that T.O.D. normally can be very closely estimated by forensics and other evidence, especially when the killing took place only a few hours prior (even though in this crime it was booted big-time by the cops and by the coroner).

The perp(s) simply told the others in the faction, probably the very next day, that when the contents of the ransom note becomes available, to look for the exact time of death he had hidden in the text. That and S.B.T.C would be evidence enough for the perps to be awarded credit from APAC for their "good deed" that advanced the well-being of all Asian Americans by killing that high profile, rich, white, beauty queen with a millionaire dad whose picture was in the newspaper bragging about his billion dollar company.

Of course, when the rational members of APAC were informed by the perp(s) what he (they) had done, all APAC members immediately closed shop, pulled down the blinds, and faded into the woodwork hoping there would be no knocks on the door. There haven't been any.

BlueCrab

I am new to following the JBR murder (although I followed it very closely in the first year ot 2 after it happened) so sorry if my questions seem ignorant (you folks have a mind-boggling grasp on the facts of this case)...

I seem to recall that $118,000 was the exact amount of a bonus or dividend cheque John Ramsey had received right before Xmas, does anyone recall this? And if this is the case, it is more evidence that the perpetrator was someone known to the Ramseys, or someone who would know this fact. Anyone?:waitasec:

sandraladeda said:
I seem to recall that $118,000 was the exact amount of a bonus or dividend cheque John Ramsey had received right before Xmas, does anyone recall this? And if this is the case, it is more evidence that the perpetrator was someone known to the Ramseys, or someone who would know this fact. Anyone?:waitasec:

Hi, sandraladeda,

I'm here because I'm impressed with what these posters know also.

Some suspected that the $118,000 was derived from the $118,117.50 "bonus" that John had received as deferred compensation for the calendar year 1995; it was a cumulative total and had been an entry on his pay stubs since the beginning of 1996. John and others (notably Smit) theorized that the perp got this figure from one of the aforementioned stubs while roaming around in the house during their absence that afternoon/evening and hatched the idea to kidnap the girl. Seems a bit far-fetched.

Other possibly sources for the strange ransom figure were: (1.) The Hendersons who owed him approximately (or was it exactly?) that amount and had been covered by a bond that insured the wife who was an Access Employee. The bond paid $100,000, and the Hendersons (the wife had subsequently been jailed) had paid only a small portion of the remainder when the crime occurred. (2.) Jeff Merrick, who was let go by Access on hostile terms, and who claimed John owed him around $118,000, but eventually settled for less. Merrick allegedly threatened to bring John to his knees and his company to ruin. He wrote letters to Lockheed, the parent company, complaining of John's ruthlessness. (3.) Kevin Raburn, an ex-convict with a checkered past who had been recently released from a Colorado prison and, at the time, in his pre-release interview with a corrections officer, stated that he had $118,000 to live on. He was living in Boulder at the time of the murder. (4.) Helgoth, who is claimed to have bragged that he was working on a deal that would net him 50 or 60 thousand dollars as his half of the take. The same informant also claimed that Helgoth expressed to him a desire to crack someone's skull. It is also alleged (if not a fact) that Helgoth had Hi-Tec boots, owned an air-taser stun gun, owned two wolf-dogs (re: the animal hair evidence), was a gun nut, was unnaturally fond of little girls (so his significant other said), and died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest 2 days after Hunter appeared on TV and swore that LE was closing in on the killer (the FBI put him up to this). Helgoth's death, according to some, may have been a homicide and wasn't thoroughly investigated by the authorities. (5.) $1,118,000 was the exact amount of the liability that John had recorded (on his ledger in the house?).

Does this help?

RedChief said:
Hi, sandraladeda,

I'm here because I'm impressed with what these posters know also.

Some suspected that the $118,000 was derived from the $118,117.50 "bonus" that John had received as deferred compensation for the calendar year 1995; it was a cumulative total and had been an entry on his pay stubs since the beginning of 1996. John and others (notably Smit) theorized that the perp got this figure from one of the aforementioned stubs while roaming around in the house during their absence that afternoon/evening and hatched the idea to kidnap the girl. Seems a bit far-fetched.

Other possibly sources for the strange ransom figure were: (1.) The Hendersons who owed him approximately (or was it exactly?) that amount and had been covered by a bond that insured the wife who was an Access Employee. The bond paid $100,000, and the Hendersons (the wife had subsequently been jailed) had paid only a small portion of the remainder when the crime occurred. (2.) Jeff Merrick, who was let go by Access on hostile terms, and who claimed John owed him around $118,000, but eventually settled for less. Merrick allegedly threatened to bring John to his knees and his company to ruin. He wrote letters to Lockheed, the parent company, complaining of John's ruthlessness. (3.) Kevin Raburn, an ex-convict with a checkered past who had been recently released from a Colorado prison and, at the time, in his pre-release interview with a corrections officer, stated that he had $118,000 to live on. He was living in Boulder at the time of the murder. (4.) Helgoth, who is claimed to have bragged that he was working on a deal that would net him 50 or 60 thousand dollars as his half of the take. The same informant also claimed that Helgoth expressed to him a desire to crack someone's skull. It is also alleged (if not a fact) that Helgoth had Hi-Tec boots, owned an air-taser stun gun, owned two wolf-dogs (re: the animal hair evidence), was a gun nut, was unnaturally fond of little girls (so his significant other said), and died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest 2 days after Hunter appeared on TV and swore that LE was closing in on the killer (the FBI put him up to this). Helgoth's death, according to some, may have been a homicide and wasn't thoroughly investigated by the authorities. (5.) $1,118,000 was the exact amount of the liability that John had recorded (on his ledger in the house?).

Does this help?
Yes, it helps, in an information-overload-oh-I've-got-a-headache kind of way!
Thank you! I barely know anything about this Helgoth angle. Veeery interesting, although it would be a shame to think the killer is dead and will never face justice.

I think I'll have to break down and read everything I can get my hands on. Off to the library/bookstore I go....

BlueCrab said:
So was the bizarre $118,000 and the mysterious S.B.T.C really cryptographic messages to others? If so, APAC should be thoroughly investigated.

BlueCrab

Hi BlueCrab,

You and Jayelles have always been the knowledge nook for the JB case.

I think you are on the right track, I respect your ideas and theory.

APAC should be investigated.

Thanks for the interesting thread. :)

sandraladeda said:
I am new to following the JBR murder (although I followed it very closely in the first year ot 2 after it happened) so sorry if my questions seem ignorant (you folks have a mind-boggling grasp on the facts of this case)...

sandraladeda....good point. The $118,000 mentioned in the ransom note has always seemed to give credence to the perp/intruder theory; one that knew the Ramseys; had been in their home and knew the floor plan; knew they were away on the 26th; had a key or had a door left open for him or came in the basement window as Smit demonstrated; possibly spent the hours between 4:00pm and 9:30pm on the 26th in the house alone with access to the study and JR's financial records (or knew the amount of the bonus via John innocently discussing it); preparing the note and the strangling device; and simply walking out the front door after the murder because it automatically locked (PMPT) when closing making it appear that the perp was a family member. The mention of the $118,000, etc says,in effect, "I know a lot about you, John Ramsey". Later John said, "this was an inside job".

That person is possibly the person that JonBenet mentioned in reference to the secret Santa visit after Christmas. "It's a secret", she said.

IMO, Burke's participation is possibly marginal (ie) unlocking a door, perhaps, but not participating in the death. This murder is much too horrific and tramatic for a 9yr old without his giving it away when questioned by LE and the grand jury.

Rejecting the intruder theory, some posters have argued there was no evidence of an intruder. Of course there wasn't. That was the mission..to make it appear someone in the family committed the murder and the others all culpable.

Viewing the autopsy photo of the massive wound to the skull alone speaks to rage or revenge.

Is it any wonder Ramsey wanted to get his family out of town that afternoon or put distance between himself and LE for time to think....maybe?

You can read anything you want to into $118,000. But the dollar amount is; drum roll please; RANSOM.

From Aid To Bible Understanding;

Salvation, see ransom.

Sacrifice, see ransom.

The content of the note is the content of Patsy's psychosis; death, judgment, resurrection, salvation.

BrotherMoon said:
The content of the note is the content of Patsy's psychosis; death, judgment, resurrection, salvation.

There's a UFO thread over on the PP that will just knock your socks off:eek:

BrotherMoon said:
Is this a set up? Am I supposed to ask what pp is? Or is this an attempt at wit?
Miss Daisy is refering to the thread about UFO's at the political pavilion. I haven't read the thread so I don't know why she thinks it would "blow your socks off."

I don't believe anyone really interpreted the gross amount that showed on that check as the net amount of 118,000, therefore, unless they in some other manner "knew" the "bottom line" , I can't see this as being a factor.
However, I do believe the amount meant something to someone, as a psalm, as the number of whales murdered in Alaska, as the number of unemployed in the Netherlands in 1996, double the amount of Helgoth's 59,000 dollar check..or something else that was personal to them.

Yes, APAC should be investigated. No stone should be left unturned.

And this is a long shot, but if the killer was cunning enough to think of using the ransom amount as a signal, maybe he'd also think to kill her right at that time? Not saying I think any killer is that cunning, to think of using the amount as a signal as to the time of death, but if Blue Crab thought of it, who knows, maybe someone else did too. That's good, B.C.! Mind telling us what in the world made you think of that?

Maybe he plays bizarre games like that all the time, overactive imagination or feels he's sort of an E.T. or something. I've always thought the whole caper was unusually well-planned. The "organized" type of killer, according to John Douglas FBI profiles?

He may have been the one who slept in JonBenet's bed at Charlevoix, in the bathroom so that maids just saw his suitcase and boots, were afraid, I guess, to investigate. Weird. And in the Patricia Letters, he the caller seemed to be trying to take JonBenet's place in Patsy's affections. He sometimes pretended he was JBR?

Cross-dressing, anyone know anything about it, and would this be similar? Is there such a disorder, identifying with the victim, trying to take their place?

Hmm..a transvestite was the entertainment at the Brown's palace (?)for Patsy's birthday bash. ...just a hmmm

Obviously $118,000 is a weird ransom amount to ask for - one would usually ask for a round number - 10,000 or 100,000 or 1 million, right? Why the goofy number?

One thing I thought might be possible - if the "perpetrator" owed a certain amount of money, was in debt for, say, $68,000 and saw the wealthy Ramseys as a perfect kidnap for ramsom target. When deciding the ransom amount to ask for, he decided on the $68,000 to get out of debt, plus a $50,000 bonus for his own trouble.
-or-
I remember as a kid, and I talked with my little brother about what we would do if we were rich. My brother, not yet in school, and not familiar with the round numbers in our monetary system (bills in denominations of 10, 20, 50, 100, 1000, etc.) would talk about what he would do if he had $90 dollars, like that was a HUGE amount of money.

So in the case of the JBR ransom note, could the author have been either a kid, with no concept of round numbers, and no concept of the true size of the Ramsey's wealth?

Or - similar thought - what if the author was from another country, and not familiar with our monetary system yet. Not aware that we think of money in round numbers - hundreds, thousands, etc. Maybe $118,000 would not be a weird amount, it would just seem like a big amount. Foreign faction?

sissi said:
I don't believe anyone really interpreted the gross amount that showed on that check as the net amount of 118,000, therefore, unless they in some other manner "knew" the "bottom line" , I can't see this as being a factor.
However, I do believe the amount meant something to someone, as a psalm, as the number of whales murdered in Alaska, as the number of unemployed in the Netherlands in 1996, double the amount of Helgoth's 59,000 dollar check..or something else that was personal to them.

sissi,

Where did you get this informtion about Helgoth's check? I have a faint recollection of a check that was found in his apt. (cabin?) for somewhere near that amount. Was thinking it wasn't quite half the $118,000. That seems pretty significant to me coupled with his buddy's testimony about Helgoth's expectations. Who signed the check? Whose account was it drawn on?

I'm surprised that there was no mention of this check in the 48 hr mystery documentary. Maybe I just missed it.

Are you saying that $118,117.50 wasn't printed on John's check stubs? I'm not following you. If $118,117.50 wasn't printed on John's check stubs, then why is John championing the theory that the perp got the idea to ask for the $118,000 by consulting a check stub?

mystified in madagascar

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onaquest