834 users online (130 members and 704 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Joe Paterno movie

please post links/comments about the movie. the first thing i think about is how they are going to portray paterno?

according to the paterno family he was a principled but older man who didnt understand that a man could have sex with boys or men.

according to the investigative report he was a conspirator who covered up and protected a child rapist in order to win football games.

so, the producers of the movie have a pretty big choice to make. and it could go either way. his "official" biographer (who destroyed his own reputation in the process) chose the old, slow witted elder statesman route.

not that anyone other than the cool aid drinking happy valley faithful believed.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,5249790.story
    IF I PUT IT HERE ITS MY OPINION. apparently i have no idea when i need to say that in a post, so this should cover it....IN MY OPINION anyways,

welcome to the gates of hell JVDS.

Jose Baez: “I sincerely believe that when we have finally spoken, everyone, and I mean everyone, will sit back and say, ‘Now, I understand. That explains it.’”

Jose Baez to da judge :

".....that type of testing is unique. we requested that they be allowed to test items and that of course was objected to by the state and and uh the state uh granted or sustained their objection, denied our opportunity to have him test these items due to a very specialized field, subfield, of dna that he is one of the pioneers of uh in the alternative of we were granted the ability to test certain items by an outside lab...."

according to the link, the movie is based on the book, which protected and lionized the godfather-like, all controlling head coach who turned senile dummy when his former assistant was outed as a serial rapist who used Joes empire to groom his children victims...

boycott any potential sponser if it turns out that way and start the boycot asap, if it can be determined how they are actually going to portray senile old joe.
    IF I PUT IT HERE ITS MY OPINION. apparently i have no idea when i need to say that in a post, so this should cover it....IN MY OPINION anyways,

Jose Baez: “I sincerely believe that when we have finally spoken, everyone, and I mean everyone, will sit back and say, ‘Now, I understand. That explains it.’”

Jose Baez to da judge :

".....that type of testing is unique. we requested that they be allowed to test items and that of course was objected to by the state and and uh the state uh granted or sustained their objection, denied our opportunity to have him test these items due to a very specialized field, subfield, of dna that he is one of the pioneers of uh in the alternative of we were granted the ability to test certain items by an outside lab...."

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/joe-...-happy-valley/

The Edward R. Pressman Film Corporation is backing the project.........i wonder if they put up the money for a whitewash if they know folks wont stand for it?

Not sayin its gonna be a whitewash, but it culd be????

Jose Baez to da judge :

the producer seems an idependent sort:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0696299/bio

Jose Baez to da judge :

Joe was not a feeble old senile man, IMO he didn't want anything to hurt his team.
    He knew and I really hope he is portrayed that way.
    This will hurt all the abused over again.
    I wish there was no movie at all. JMOO
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

He wasn't a senile old man in 2001. He was passed his prime and overtaken by events in 2011.

And as someone following an intersecting case, I have at least empathy for Paterno.
    Last edited by J. J. in Phila; 01-18-2013 at 12:50 AM.

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?

The director, Brian De Palma, wrote and directed a really good movie on politlcal corruption in Philadelphia called "Blowout." (De Palma was raised in Philly). For the most part, however, I find that his movies are mostly exercises in Hitchcockian technique and leave me feeling a bit cold.

De Palma attended a screening of one his movies at my alma mater back in the 70's and, during the Q&A session, he insulted the entire audience. He is (was, anyway) an abrasive guy. He clearly loathes small towns and religion. I suspect "Happy Valley" is strictly an ironic title. I wouldn't expect Penn State and Paterno to get a favorable treament in this film, even if the source book did go easy on JoePa.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
    The director, Brian De Palma, wrote and directed a really good movie on politlcal corruption in Philadelphia called "Blowout." (De Palma was raised in Philly). For the most part, however, I find that his movies are mostly exercises in Hitchcockian technique and leave me feeling a bit cold.

De Palma attended a screening of one his movies at my alma mater back in the 70's and, during the Q&A session, he insulted the entire audience. He is (was, anyway) an abrasive guy. He clearly loathes small towns and religion. I suspect "Happy Valley" is strictly an ironic title. I wouldn't expect Penn State and Paterno to get a favorable treament in this film, even if the source book did go easy on JoePa.
    well thats hopeful...now that i think about it I'd be surprised if they soft pedaled dear old Joe. he would be much more compelling as an evil Svengali than a befuddled old fool who is able to micro manage a huge institution while not knowing that men can rape boys.

Jose Baez to da judge :

Quote Originally Posted by J. J. in Phila View Post
    He wasn't a senile old man in 2001. He was passed his prime and overtaken by events in 2011.

And as someone following an intersecting case, I have at least empathy for Paterno.
    was he overtaken by events when he looked the other way while sandusky used his facilities to groom young boys for destruction?

I am interested in the empathy you've found for Joe. Imo, Louie Freeh thinks Joe allowed Sandusky to rape and molest many many young boys in order to protect his football program.

I believe that as well. Its impossible for me to identify with that kind of selfishness. whats the intersecting case?

if i was a pervert living in new york, I'd move to Pa. in a hurry:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...al-abuse?lite=

Jose Baez to da judge :

Quote Originally Posted by costalpilot View Post
    was he overtaken by events when he looked the other way while sandusky used his facilities to groom young boys for destruction?
    2001, probably.

I am interested in the empathy you've found for Joe. Imo, Louie Freeh thinks Joe allowed Sandusky to rape and molest many many young boys in order to protect his football program.
    First, note that I said "empathy," not "sympathy." Sometimes you hear things, even have told to you directly, and you just can't bring yourself to believe it. I can understand, though it does not excuse. I've had my own bout of denial, though not nearly as serious.

I believe that as well. Its impossible for me to identify with that kind of selfishness. whats the intersecting case?
    The Gricar disappearance. If you would ask me 16 months ago if it was possible for Gricar not to prosecute a case as strong as Sandusky, I would said it was impossible and wouldn't even entertain the idea.

if i was a pervert living in new york, I'd move to Pa. in a hurry:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...al-abuse?lite=
    It's where it happens, not where you live.

2001, probably.

First, note that I said "empathy," not "sympathy." Sometimes you hear things, even have told to you directly, and you just can't bring yourself to believe it. I can understand, though it does not excuse. I've had my own bout of denial, though not nearly as serious.

The Gricar disappearance. If you would ask me 16 months ago if it was possible for Gricar not to prosecute a case as strong as Sandusky, I would said it was impossible and wouldn't even entertain the idea.

It's where it happens, not where you live.
    i understood "empathy." I think I see where you are coming from. you believe that joe just didnt understand (due to understandable psychological reasons) what was going on rather than understood and looked the other way. I dont believe thats what happened. neither does freeh, imo.

I am not understanding how Gricar affects your opinion. do you now believe Gricar was silenced because he understood the facts and may have been ready to prosecute????

as to pa vs NY....its an interesting culture that doles out 30 years for Sandusky's crimes. incredible. at least if he gets out ever it will probably be in a wheel chair.
    Last edited by costalpilot; 01-23-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Jose Baez to da judge :

First on the time. I do not know the parole standards in NY. That 103 years could mean the perp is out in 5-7 years. In PA, you have to serve half your sentence.

i understood "empathy." I think I see where you are coming from. you believe that joe just didnt understand what was going on rather than understood and looked the other way. I dont believe thats what happened. neither does freeh, imo.

I am not understanding how Gricar affects your opinion. do you now believe Gricar was silenced because he understood the facts and may have been ready to prosecute????

as to pa vs NY....its an interesting culture that doles out 30 years for Sandusky's crimes. incredible. at least if he gets out ever it will probably be in a wheel chair.
    I thought, 15 months ago, it was absolutely impossible for RFG not to prosecute a case this strong (with two victims), against the advice of the investigating officer, not to have interviewed Sandusky prior to making this decision, not to have seen that DPW had all relevant reports, and to have done all this in less than 30 days. There is no evidence that he considered reversing that decision. It is incomprehensible, but it happened.

I can understand Paterno being stunned similarly when faced with McQueary's report.

First on the time. I do not know the parole standards in NY. That 103 years could mean the perp is out in 5-7 years. In PA, you have to serve half your sentence.

I thought, 15 months ago, it was absolutely impossible for RFG not to prosecute a case this strong (with two victims), against the advice of the investigating officer, not to have interviewed Sandusky prior to making this decision, not to have seen that DPW had all relevant reports, and to have done all this in less than 30 days. There is no evidence that he considered reversing that decision. It is incomprehensible, but it happened.

I can understand Paterno being stunned similarly when faced with McQueary's report.
    OK...stunned is one thing...joining a conspiracy (if not directing one) to obstruct justice and protect your legacy and power is another.

so youve processed Gricars failure to prosecute and joes failure to do due diligence (at least) as psychologically impared decisions. thats how you understand them?

frankly, I dont buy it. but i do understand how someone closer to the story than me ( a disappointed stater) might.

Jose Baez to da judge :

The movie starring Al Pacino as Phil Spector debuts this weekend on HBO. From Spector to Paterno. Wow.

Has Pacino ever made a movie that isn't about crime?

OK...stunned is one thing...joining a conspiracy (if not directing one) to obstruct justice and protect your legacy and power is another.

so youve processed Gricars failure to prosecute and joes failure to do due diligence (at least) as psychologically impared decisions. thats how you understand them?

frankly, I dont buy it. but i do understand how someone closer to the story than me ( a disappointed stater) might.
    Initially, at least, Paterno didn't join it. Curley went to Paterno with the plan on his own. There was no, "Run it past Joe first" suggestion. I'm far from certain that he suggested not reporting it. He did have to know that after that meeting, nothing was done.

I don't say anything about Gricar's reaction, but my own processing of the news. I did not think that it was possible for him not to have prosecuted such a strong case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast